It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Coppy was a great GM
    i disagree
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i disagree

At least he signed his draft picks, tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Hart was a great GM
    People keep getting this so wrong. Fixed.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Went 100 pitches last night, with 66 for strikes. 5ks

He's on a hot streak with the control.
    Wrights been the same way. Makes me think they had them working on some stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    People keep getting this so wrong. Fixed.
    meh. What I love about John Hart the most is that he slid back into an analyst role at MLB Network like nothing every happened.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    we can say anderson was a signability pick forever, and he was. but if he also ends up being one of the better arms in the draft (which, believe them or not the FO at the time said they thought as much) then sorry h8ers, but it was a great move.
    Gotta love relying on hindsight to evaluate moves!

It's possible to call Anderson a sign-ability pick AND call him a good prospect at the same time...all without being a "h8er".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2018)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Just noticed Brothers demoted to AA? It wasn't that long ago he was closing for the Rockies. Wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Coppy was a great GM
    i would give my right arm to have him back
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thewupk (08-02-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    At least he signed his draft picks, tho.
    He was a little too good in signing amateur players, in fact.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    People STILL forgetting Wilson... Just like I said two years ago with Soroka. He kept getting left off people's "top spect" lists.

Wilson, Wentz, Muller, Rowland, Weigel, Turang, all guys that can take the next step. And I'm a big believer in Wentz. Lefty in the 93-94 range can be nasty.
    Yea, Wilson’s right there for me amongst the top tier, above those other arms you listed (who are all second-tier).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Gotta love relying on hindsight to evaluate moves!

It's possible to call Anderson a sign-ability pick AND call him a good prospect at the same time...all without being a "h8er".
    the first part doesn't make sense to me. it's not hindsight if the people who chose him saw him developing into what he is now. did he just so happen to work out better than they thought, or is this what they thought when they drafted him, hence why they drafted him where they did? that's not hindsight.

i acknowledged his being a signability pick. he was. but if they also thought he'd develop really well, like he has, then shouldn't credit be given for that? or should they have taken somebody more highly ranked by FG even if they didn't like them as much?

i also don't think evaluating based on results is necessarily bad either. but you know.
    Last edited by Super; 08-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    the first part doesn't make sense to me. it's not hindsight if the people who chose him saw him developing into what he is now. did he just so happen to work out better than they thought, or is this what they thought when they drafted him, hence why they drafted him where they did? that's not hindsight.

i acknowledged his being a signability pick. he was. but if they also thought he'd develop really well, like he has, then shouldn't credit be given for that? or should they have taken somebody more highly ranked by FG even if they didn't like them as much?

i also don't think evaluating based on results is necessarily bad either. but you know.
    Anderson signed for 60% of his slot value because the entire MLB industry other than the Braves valued him less than that. That's why he cut that deal. That's why he agreed to sign for that before the draft even happened. He and his agent knew what he was worth to everyone else in the league. His signing bonus is a direct reflection of his value, not some ranking on FG.

He was probably a Top 10-15 guy, and those guys are good pitching prospects. Those guys develop into good pitchers quite often (relatively speaking). We are seeing a #16 pick do exactly that right now as we follow Touki's progress.

To sit here and claim that the Braves knew something special about Anderson when they grabbed him at #3 is silly. They decided to get 3 good pitching prospects, and Anderson was the best one they could get with the money they wanted to use at that pick. If Wentz or Muller were dominating, I have no doubt you would be pimping how great those picks were.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Anderson signed for 60% of his slot value because the entire MLB industry other than the Braves valued him less than that. That's why he cut that deal. That's why he agreed to sign for that before the draft even happened. He and his agent knew what he was worth to everyone else in the league. His signing bonus is a direct reflection of his value, not some ranking on FG.

He was probably a Top 10-15 guy, and those guys are good pitching prospects. Those guys develop into good pitchers quite often (relatively speaking). We are seeing a #16 pick do exactly that right now as we follow Touki's progress.

To sit here and claim that the Braves knew something special about Anderson when they grabbed him at #3 is silly. They decided to get 3 good pitching prospects, and Anderson was the best one they could get with the money they wanted to use at that pick. If Wentz or Muller were dominating, I have no doubt you would be pimping how great those picks were.
    Didn’t Wentz just recently go like 31.2 IP without giving up a run? Muller has been pretty dominant in July as well.

Plus the Braves were much higher on Soroka and Riley than the entire MLB Industry and both are now consensus top 50 prospects. I remember people complaining we took both too high in the 15 draft.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Wanna know the pick I hated the most in 2015. Minty hippo. ��
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Wanna know the pick I hated the most in 2015. Minty hippo. ��
    They just should have asked us first before pulling the trigger on any of these guys. Easy fix for the FO from here on out.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

This is lazy analysis. You are using industry perception to determine actual talent level. It's possible the Braves saw something that many other teams didn't. That happens sometimes in scouting. Otherwise, the only way to determine if a pick is a good one is how much the player signs for. Take a player at #1 who signs for less than #2 or 3? Then you didn't get the best talent in the draft. Oh, he turns out to be better than the other two? You got lucky.

The Braves spent less and got more talent at #3 than other teams around them. Isn't that the entire goal?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

he had pre-draft helium; maybe the FO saw him and saw a trajectory as good as the guys seen as better at the time. so it's impossible the FO found Anderson to have as much upside as the guys supposedly a good bit better than him by industry consensus, and decided he would be not only worth the #3 pick, but also sign for less than the other guys?
    this is a silly argument. that means when an org. goes off the "consensus" board and "reaches" for someone who ends up being well worth the pick, they don't get credit for it? what about soroka? can we not judge that pick in hindsight as a good pick because the FO couldn't have possibly seen something special in him?

muller and wentz have performed well overall and neither of them are 21 yet. neither of them are done being good prospects at this point. it was a good move to get Anderson+Wentz+Muller. Anderson has so far been worth the #3 pick, especially considering he signed so far under slot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's possible the Braves saw something that many other teams didn't.
    nope. not possible.

plus, we don't even know what other teams thought of him. who's to say he wouldn't have gone 4, 5, or 6? maybe a team behind us saw an opportunity to get a guy they viewed as very high upside for a cheaper price than the "consensus" guys. there's a lot we don't know. but we do know that anderson has performed extremely well, whether he was the #3 pick or the #15 pick. that's all you can ask for, and giving credit for that is hardly absurd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    muller and wentz have performed well overall and neither of them are 21 yet. neither of them are done being good prospects at this point. it was a good move to get Anderson+Wentz+Muller. Anderson has so far been worth the #3 pick, especially considering he signed so far under slot.
    Funny that the consensus, at the time, was that at least one (if not both) of Wentz and Muller needed to end up great prospects to make the Anderson gambit worth it. Instead, he’s been far-and-away the best of the three, professionally, even before his recent summer dominance. It’s made anything the latter two do a gravy of sorts.
    Last edited by jpx7; 08-02-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Funny that the consensus, at the time, was that Wentz and Muller needed to end up great to make the Anderson gambit worth it. Instead, he’s been far-and-away the best of the three, professionally, even before his recent summer dominance.
    I like this post, but I'd like to point out that Muller and Wentz BOTH have performed well for "first rounders" also. If that group is a trifecta of arms that "make it" then what a coup that is....
    Ivermectin Man