Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2323

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Trout has around $125M in surplus value over his remaining 2 years of control. If the Angels want to completely retool their entire 25 man roster, the Braves are one of the very few teams who could potentially facilitate that. With Ohtani out all next year as far as pitching goes, they may be willing to use 2019 as a bit of a punt year to allow all the young talent they acquire in a Trout trade to find their way at the MLB level.

Any package that doesn't include Albies, Acuna or Freeman can be justified, but it will hurt...bad. The Braves would be left scrambling to fill the 2019 rotation after the deal proposed by Rosenthal, which goes against the "build a home grown rotation" mantra they have been uttering for 4 years now.

The Angels could set themselves up for another 5+ year run of contention if they execute a Trout trade competently this off season. It would make some sense to realign the competitive window with Ohtani's 5 years of team control rather than Trout's 2 years of team control, but they have to get proper value...which will be extremely hard to get for a generational player like Trout.
    That deal is probably fair value, but I still wouldn't do it.

-You run the risk of either having to go multi-year to get the AAV to an affordable number for Markakis to man a corner OF spot , or having to rely on something like a Duvall/Tucker platoon.
    -You have to be dead certain that Camargo is what he's shown himself to be this year, because your backup plan is now Charlie Culberson.
    -You're almost guaranteed to have a rotation of Folty, Gausman, Teheran, a relatively cheap vet like Sanchez, and some combination of Wilson/Soroka/Gohara in the 5th spot.
    -Oh by the way you don't really have enough money available to fix the above issues.

If the Braves are dead set on bringing in a superstar-level player for next year, they'd be much better off paying market value for Harper. Payroll would still be torpedoed, but you'd still have Ender, Riley, and all those pitchers available either to fill roles or be traded for help elsewhere.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Can someone list our lineup with trout and one of the major free agents we will surely sign. Make sure to exclude anyone who went to the Angels in the trade. I need a list to feel like I am home.
    Coppy

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-10-2018), Tapate50 (09-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Can someone list our lineup with trout and one of the major free agents we will surely sign. Make sure to exclude anyone who went to the Angels in the trade. I need a list to feel like I am home.
    Acuna LF
    Trout cf
    FF 1b
    Harper rf
    Machado 3b
    Albies 2b
    Flowers c
    Swanson ss

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (09-07-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-07-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Um state. You spelled JT Realmuto funny.
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (09-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Acuna LF
    Trout cf
    FF 1b
    Harper rf
    Machado 3b
    Albies 2b
    Flowers c
    Swanson ss
    Not quite...

Acuna LF
    Trout CF
    Harper/Betts platoon RF
    FF 1B
    Machado 3B
    Albies 2B
    Realmuto C
    Lindor SS

Don't forget the rotation

Kershaw
    DeGrom
    Syndergard
    Gausman
    Folty
    Touki

Back end of the pen:
    Kimbrel
    Jansen
    Chapman

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (09-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Um state. You spelled JT Realmuto funny.
    Won't have the prospect capital after we get degrom

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    There is approximately a 0% chance the Angels deal Trout.

And if they do, it will be for way more than that package. They would laugh hysterically at that. Our package would have to include at least Albies and then a whole bunch more. If we could actually get Trout for that group, we would be stupid not to do it. He would instantly make us WS contenders in a very real way. Sure, our pitching depth in the upper minors would go away, but who cares? You have at least 2 years where you're as good as any team in baseball.
    I very much doubt he will get traded, but you are insane if you think that package would be laughed at. Even on the conservative side, that's at least 150 million in surplus value.

The only criticism I have on this hypothetical trade is why the Angels would want Inciarte back in this scenario. I mean Inciarte still has good value, but they would clearly be rebuilding by trading Trout and Inciarte would not really fit their new window for competing. Pache would be a more likely target for them, imo.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I very much doubt he will get traded, but you are insane if you think that package would be laughed at. Even on the conservative side, that's at least 150 million in surplus value.

The only criticism I have on this hypothetical trade is why the Angels would want Inciarte back in this scenario. I mean Inciarte still has good value, but they would clearly be rebuilding by trading Trout and Inciarte would not really fit their new window for competing. Pache would be a more likely target for them, imo.
    The Angels are not going to rebuild with Ohtani on board.

It makes some sense to exchange 2 years of Trout for a bunch of players that help the team contend throughout all of Ohtani's control because now that Ohtani won't be pitching in 2019, the Angels won't realistically be competitive for 50% of Trout's remaining team control.

If the Angels traded Trout they would be targeting several additions to the MLB roster as early as 2019, not guys who will be ready in several years. They would want guys exactly as described in Rosenthal's post, and the Braves are one of the few teams who could give up that many MLB-ready pieces.

I seriously doubt it happens, but at least there's one more unrealistic option for folks to blabber about endlessly...that's always fun.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (09-07-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Unless they looked at Ender as a sort of stopgap guy like the Braves did Markakis to try to keep up fan interest for the time being. Assuming they feel like Adell is roughly a year away, they could plug Ender in for 2019 to try to quell the riots and still maybe get some decent value for him at the deadline or the end of next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the phillies could offer their whole org. and the angels wouldn't take it. i really fail to see how they could come close to putting together a package for trout. they simply don't have the young talent. most of their good prospects are pitchers and IMO only sixto is great. the rest are super high-risk.
    I agree. They had Herrera and Eflin as the headliners with 4 of their top prospects going to LA. Considering their minor league talent right now, that seems like a pretty mediocre return for the best player in baseball.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    i've always maintained that it would probably take a 3 team trade to get Trout with several top prospects/major league talent from 2 teams going to the Angels
    Get off my lawn!

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Wow...Michael Kopech has a torn UCL...TJ surgery likely...sucks for the WSox

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Wow...Michael Kopech has a torn UCL...TJ surgery likely...sucks for the WSox
    Man, this is rough.

They may not have much to show for their rebuild.Giolito and Moncada have both been bad and now Kopech might be broken.

Just another reminder that if you have the opportunity to get an elite talent (Chris Sale), it might be worth it to trade the prospects.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Man, this is rough.

They may not have much to show for their rebuild.Giolito and Moncada have both been bad and now Kopech might be broken.

Just another reminder that if you have the opportunity to get an elite talent (Chris Sale), it might be worth it to trade the prospects.
    Dylan Cease did great this season. I think he won minor league pitcher of the year or something like that

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Dylan Cease did great this season. I think he won minor league pitcher of the year or something like that
    Sale is the counter example for the argument against acquiring aces.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-09-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-10-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Mets win. 17.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    This kind of makes me love Sean Doolittle

"If a guy hits a home run off me, drops to his knees, pretends the bat is a bazooka and shoots it out at the sky… I don’t give a ****." Doolittle says in a new interview with Expanded Roster. “A lot of these guys come to America and baseball was their ticket to give their family a better life...They’re incredibly grateful for the opportunity to play this game. I promise you they’re not disrespecting the game. If you got your feelings hurt, that’s on you."
    That is a great take and I am glad someone stood up and said it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I agree. They had Herrera and Eflin as the headliners with 4 of their top prospects going to LA. Considering their minor league talent right now, that seems like a pretty mediocre return for the best player in baseball.
    herrera and eflin?? herrera has to be losing value quickly. he's solid but that's about it. i'm also not really a believer in eflin as anything more than a backend starter. sixto is their only stud. i'd rather have kingery, despite his poor season, than eflin and herrera.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Not sure if this needs it's own thread or not, but Ken Rosenthal mentions the Angels could look to trade Trout this winter if a long term deal can't be hammered out. He mentions us and the Phillies as the 2 teams who would likely have the most interest. A baseball executive he spoke to believes a package from the Braves would include Newk, Inciarte, Wright, Anderson, Riley, and Touki.

That's.... a lot to give up. I mean know it's Trout, but our pitching depth disappears in this scenario. Still I gotta say, not having to give up Acuna or Albies to acquire Trout would be pretty epic.
    Unless Philly put Hoskins, Nola, and Sixto on the table, they have nothing to offer.

And Newk, Ender, Riley, Touki, Anderson, and Wright is ****ing absurd.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    And Newk, Ender, Riley, Touki, Anderson, and Wright is ****ing absurd.
    for trout? easy yes from me.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg