Thread: Car Talk

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts

Car Talk

[MENTION=72]ESP47[/MENTION] [MENTION=114]Knucksie[/MENTION]

Thread to discuss cars in anyway possible.

I'm leaning towards my next car being a Fusion Energi. For it's fuel efficiency. Unless something changes.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (04-24-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    lol American cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    American cars and German Cars are the only 2 worth owning. And if you don't want to spend an insane amount of money on repairs, go and get American.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

nocalgirl10 (04-23-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Japanese Cars are being built here, as are European Cars.

For years American companies were behind because most factories were using outdated technology/machines to manufacture the engines.

I've been driving a Pontiac Grand Am GT 2002 since high school. It has a lot of problems and I'm probably leaning to getting a new car soon.

I'm interested in Smart Car, Fiat 500, Scion IQ, because of gas mileage and it's big enough to tow my work related stuff like tennis equipment. My favorite car is the first-get Scion XB's. The toaster/box shaped ones. They got close to 35-40 MPG if hypermiling.

The only Ford car I'd get is probably a Fusion... maybe Flex. If I wanted a huge redneck-style raised truck, I'd probably go with Chevy Silverado even though I think Ford has done a great job making their F-Series line look aesthetically pleasing. I just like the Silverado's squared eyes, and the shape of the truck.

Also considered getting a crotch rocket to travel around town to save gas, for distances longer than my legs allow me to ride a bike.
    Forever Fredi

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Alright Zeet here's my 71 Duster. Was my first car and I'm still driving it every day to this day. It's just a slant six granny grocery getter but gas prices you can't beat 20mpg with an old car.

This is my 67 Barracuda I got a couple years ago. I have a rebuilt 340 I'm dropping into it here soon once I get off my ass and quit half assing it. It needs paint, disc brakes, a bigger rear end and the interior freshened up. When I get done with it, this thing is going to blow the panties off every female this side of the Mississippi. You folks in Atlanta are safe, so no worries. Nocalgirl, you're going to be in the eye of the storm so you better get yourself a chastity belt and throw away the key.

Sorry for the bad pics.

This is the color and stripe combination I'm leaning towards painting it..

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (04-24-2014), NinersSBChamps (04-24-2014), nocalgirl10 (04-24-2014), The Chosen One (04-24-2014), zitothebrave (04-24-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I want a barracuda so bad... or an el camino.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    [MENTION=72]ESP47[/MENTION] [MENTION=114]Knucksie[/MENTION]

Thread to discuss cars in anyway possible.

I'm leaning towards my next car being a Fusion Energi. For it's fuel efficiency. Unless something changes.
    And sit back and watch it rain tree hugger vajajay.
    Ivermectin Man

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Excellent idea!

Currently, 3 vehicles are in my possesion with only one driveable!

The go-to is a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO. Will share story on how it stomped a BMW later.

Other one is a 2000 Ford Contour. It has 193,000 miles with clutch NEVER replaced. Buffalo winters, or salt on the roads more specifically, has caused significant damage. We picked up a hood, over a year ago, in a yard and had it painted. Looks great. I replaced the headlamps and grille panel myself. Two years before, we did rocker panels and front doors. The latter were shipped from Portland, OR. Apparently, they have mild winters, as these were good as new. After last winter, the shop found that the inner rockers (part of unibody) and floor boards were rotted.

A gift came my way. One of the mechanics, at the service department at the Ford dealership, was working on his nephew's '98 Contour SVT. He was replacing the alternator, but couldn't get it off. So, he had to torch it. That and the wire harness caught fire! So, he told his nephew that it would've required dropping the engine and transmission to repair. They sold me the car to salvage parts for 5 bills. That meant that the plan was to swap out the engine, transmission, clutch and a few other parts (coil springs and right rear brake caliper). The interior on the SVT was not well-maintained but the exterior is is decent shape. We're going for the inner rockers, floor boards, quarter panels, fenders and front doors.

This project is pretty massive in scale but will be immensely satisfying when completed. Originally, I was going to use kids at trade high school to perform most of the work. Unfortunately, time ran out at end of semester last year and they changed rules this school year. Non starter which could've saved several hundred dollars in labor costs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (04-24-2014)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    When I get done with it, this thing is going to blow the panties off every female this side of the Mississippi.
    No kidding...the Cuda looks hella nice dude! Definitely a panty dropper.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nocalgirl10 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    And sit back and watch it rain tree hugger vajajay.
    I really don't care about the environmental impact. Gas is quickly heading towards 4 a gallon the reg. My current car gets 20 MPG. IF I can double that I'll be happy. I'm debating between a straight hybrid or plug in, will depend on my job. If I'm still in travelling sales than it will be a straigh hybrid as I wouldn't benefit from the plug in. If I'm at more of a set job then I'll consider the plug in. Of course if I wanted to save on gas I could just buy a Tesla when they release their lower cost model.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Excellent idea!

Currently, 3 vehicles are in my possesion with only one driveable!

The go-to is a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO. Will share story on how it stomped a BMW later.

Other one is a 2000 Ford Contour. It has 193,000 miles with clutch NEVER replaced. Buffalo winters, or salt on the roads more specifically, has caused significant damage. We picked up a hood, over a year ago, in a yard and had it painted. Looks great. I replaced the headlamps and grille panel myself. Two years before, we did rocker panels and front doors. The latter were shipped from Portland, OR. Apparently, they have mild winters, as these were good as new. After last winter, the shop found that the inner rockers (part of unibody) and floor boards were rotted.

A gift came my way. One of the mechanics, at the service department at the Ford dealership, was working on his nephew's '98 Contour SVT. He was replacing the alternator, but couldn't get it off. So, he had to torch it. That and the wire harness caught fire! So, he told his nephew that it would've required dropping the engine and transmission to repair. They sold me the car to salvage parts for 5 bills. That meant that the plan was to swap out the engine, transmission, clutch and a few other parts (coil springs and right rear brake caliper). The interior on the SVT was not well-maintained but the exterior is is decent shape. We're going for the inner rockers, floor boards, quarter panels, fenders and front doors.

This project is pretty massive in scale but will be immensely satisfying when completed. Originally, I was going to use kids at trade high school to perform most of the work. Unfortunately, time ran out at end of semester last year and they changed rules this school year. Non starter which could've saved several hundred dollars in labor costs.
    Can't remember what body style the 2010 SHO's have again? I do know they can be quick though. BMW's are my nemesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Can't remember what body style the 2010 SHO's have again? I do know they can be quick though. BMW's are my nemesis.

This isn't my exact car, but same year and color.

[img]
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/2010_Ford_Taurus_SHO.jpg[/img]

About 2 years ago, I was at a stop light in the right hand lane. My figuring was that there'd be an opportunity to just pull into the left lane, because the road narrows. Well, the guy in the left lane (BMW) wanted to go at it after it went green. Not being one to back down from such a challenge, a few short seconds later it was up to 80 in 3rd gear. Upshifting (car has paddle shift w/ no clutch) would've resulted in loss of torque. So, I kept my foot down, pulled in front of the BMW, then promptly slowed down to 45 speed limit. Local law enforcement might notice such things.

We got to the next light, he looked over and gave thumbs up. Life affirming experience and was extra satisfying for dropping a German car (1/2 German ancestry, myself).
    Last edited by Knucksie; 04-24-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    SAV, could you pls edit/correct my image? While selecting the image icon up above to try and post, a window keeps coming up asking about leaving the page.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    This isn't my exact car, but same year and color.

[img]
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/2010_Ford_Taurus_SHO.jpg[/img]

About 2 years ago, I was at a stop light in the right hand lane. My figuring was that there'd be an opportunity to just pull into the left lane, because the road narrows. Well, the guy in the left lane (BMW) wanted to go at it after it went green. Not being one to back down from such a challenge, a few short seconds later it was up to 80 in 3rd gear. Upshifting (car has paddle shift w/ no clutch) would've resulted in loss of torque. So, I kept my foot down, pulled in front of the BMW, then promptly slowed down to 45 speed limit. Local law enforcement might notice such things.

We got to the next light, he looked over and gave thumbs up. Life affirming experience and was extra satisfying for dropping a German car (1/2 German ancestry, myself).
    Very nice. I have yet to get into race types since I got my A4. It's quick, but not necessarily powerful. Hit 150 the first week I bought and I don't think I have hit 100 since then. :( I am getting too old to try street race anyone now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Very nice. I have yet to get into race types since I got my A4. It's quick, but not necessarily powerful. Hit 150 the first week I bought and I don't think I have hit 100 since then. :( I am getting too old to try street race anyone now.
    The turbos were just growling. When you go 100+ in the SHO, it doesn't feel like it. In the Contour it definitely does.

Update to previous post - my mechanic and I had a serious conversation this morning. He's recommending fixing up the SVT and transferring a few decent parts from the 2000 SE. Since this came from a trusted source, that looks to be the direction to go. Only sticking point is finding a shop willing to do install on factory sun roof.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Get yourself one. The 67-69 A body Barracuda's are still fairly affordable. The 70-74 E body Barracuda's are priced way out of range for most people. The 64-66's are the cheapest but look them up and you'll see why.

Quote Originally Posted by nocalgirl10 View Post
    No kidding...the Cuda looks hella nice dude! Definitely a panty dropper.
    Thanks, I can't wait to get it painted. Just doesn't look right in white. Those cars were meant to be a darker color. Hopefully I'll have it running in the next month. If you randomly have the big O during the middle of the day, it's most likely because I fired it up for the first time.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

nocalgirl10 (04-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Check out this Living Social deal:

https://www.livingsocial.com/events/...m_source=blast

3 laps in a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Have I got a deal for you lol.

my 2 cars, my daily driver is a 1972 Chevelle 4 door hardtop, dressed out just like a SS. My other car is a 1972 GMC Sprint (just like the el camino). The Sprint is rare, one of 689 that came from the factory with a 350 4bbl carb. It has bucket seats console, factory air car. It is red with a black vinyl top and cragar SS wheels. Keith I am thinking of selling it since I drive it so seldom. If you are interested drop me a note. It is not that expensive. Rust free arizona vehicle that I have owned for 11 years.
    Last edited by depley; 04-24-2014 at 10:36 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to depley For This Useful Post:

ESP47 (04-25-2014), nocalgirl10 (04-25-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Not quite a car but still a good way to get around while spending time with the whole family and keeping your wife in her place.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

nocalgirl10 (04-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Here's the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO. Same color as mine (tuxedo black). Ontario plates kind of makes me wonder how close this car is to home here.