Page 86 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 2133

Thread: Farewell to Wood, Peraza, Jimmy Johns, and Avilans.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I think it's a little too optimistic to think we would get an .800 OPS from 37 year old Uribe. Remember this is the guy the Dodgers basically gave away.
    I agree. But I would rather have Uribe and Wood than Olivera and Jenkins for next year while allowing Ruiz to continue to develop.

Or, I'd rather have Uribe and a good young 3B talent and a good young C talent, or something similar, than Olivera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I think it's a little too optimistic to think we would get an .800 OPS from 37 year old Uribe. Remember this is the guy the Dodgers basically gave away.
    No, not really as he gave us an over .800 OPS at 36 years old. I figure he still has a year or two left in the tank at a high level as hard as he works at his craft. But whether .750 or .800 OPS with his defense that is solid for third and I doubt Olivera does much better overall. In fact, I am not convinced he'll do better at all considering both offense and defense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Hart and co. have made some very good trades, but this one was not just bad but is really terrible IMO. We could've just kept Uribe for 3B and got an around .800 OPS and great defense rather than do crazy **** like this.
    Juan Uribe, a guy who will be 37 next year and 38 by the time we open the new stadium. Also the same guy who hasn't been a starter / played a full season in the MLB since 2010? I mean c'mon, get your facts together.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Obviously the biggest issue with this trade is the fact that Olivera is already 30, and is already injured a lot. It just seems like the Braves went backwards on trying to rebuild the team. I don't think the trade is terrible, but it's not a trade they needed to make, and I don't know that it makes them better in 2017. If they were going to trade Wood they should have made a run and Price and then tried to sign him to an extension.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Juan Uribe, a guy who will be 37 next year and 38 by the time we open the new stadium. Also the same guy who hasn't been a starter / played a full season in the MLB since 2010? I mean c'mon, get your facts together.
    Uribe put up an .817 OPS with us at 36 and had a .769-.800 OPS the last two years including hitting .311 last season at 35 years old. He seems to be aging very well so it isn't crazy to think he could have another such season next year. I do expect some decline in that area by 38 but I wouldn't be shocked if he continued playing so well that long either. He had one of his best offensive and defensive years at 35 years old, not everyone declines at the usual rate. Further, I said the same about his age at one point but he's convinced me otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Uribe put up an .817 OPS with us at 36 and had a .769-.800 OPS the last two years including hitting .311 last season at 35 years old. He seems to be aging very well so it isn't crazy to think he could have another such season next year. I do expect some decline in that are by 38 though I wouldn't be shocked if he continued playing so well that long either. He had one of his best offensive and defensive years at 35 years old, not everyone declines at the usual rate. Further, I said the same about his age at one point but he's convinced me otherwise.
    He did that in 150 ABs with us! Very small sample size! And yes he had those numbers last year, but in only around 350 AB's, which is not a full time starter. So unless the plan was to platoon him at 3rd with someone else, it doesn't make sense. He's also not the safest bet to keep producing at the highest level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I agree. But I would rather have Uribe and Wood than Olivera and Jenkins for next year while allowing Ruiz to continue to develop.

Or, I'd rather have Uribe and a good young 3B talent and a good young C talent, or something similar, than Olivera.
    I think that's a fair point. I mean, it's not a trade I would have made. I just think we need to recognize that Olivera is an asset though. Some are just writing him off as the 30 year old who won't do anything or hasn't proven himself. I mean he's more probable than not going to be a good player. Potentially an All Star 3B. And the price is right. Also, some on this board aren't willing to admit the question marks that Alex Wood has right now with his velocity drop and questionable mechanics. I mean if you're going to grump about Olivera's age, which is a legit grump, then you also need to grump about the possibility that Wood may not be the pitcher he was his first couple of seasons and the injury risk there is high as well.
    thank you weso1!

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    also FWIW our entire front office obviously also thinks so. there are clearly reasons. and the trade is not devastating or terrible. it's just not.
    It is absolutely terrible. Our window to compete is not 2016. This move does not aide us long term. For Wood and Peraza, we certainly could have added hitters that would be in the lineup beyond 2018 or 2019. You can't realistically expect .800 OPS from an oft injured Olivera when he's 35 in 2019.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SidSlid92 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-30-2015)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Terrible trade. So bad I wouldn't mind if Hart was fired. I mean we are rebuilding right? Why are we trading away prospects? I thought teams that were rebuilding traded for young players.....not players in their 30's. By the time we are good again he will be past his prime. I doubt we will ever be good again however. Hart doesn't seem to have a plan, he is just randomly making trades. I mean what is the logic here? Do we even have a plan? Doesn't look like it!
    Last edited by ChapelHillMatt; 07-30-2015 at 07:52 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-30-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think that's a fair point. I mean, it's not a trade I would have made. I just think we need to recognize that Olivera is an asset though. Some are just writing him off as the 30 year old who won't do anything or hasn't proven himself. I mean he's more probable than not going to be a good player. Potentially an All Star 3B. And the price is right. Also, some on this board aren't willing to admit the question marks that Alex Wood has right now with his velocity drop and questionable mechanics. I mean if you're going to grump about Olivera's age, which is a legit grump, then you also need to grump about the possibility that Wood may not be the pitcher he was his first couple of seasons and the injury risk there is high as well.
    Who would have thought that Hanson/Beachy/JJ would have no value by the time they completed their 4th season?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Terrible trade. So bad I wouldn't mind if Hart was fired. I mean we are rebuilding right? Why are we trading away prospects? I thought teams that were rebuilding traded for young players.....not players in their 30's. By the time we are good again he will be past his prime. I doubt we will ever be good again however. Gary doesn't seem, he is just randomly making trades. I mean what is the logic here? Do we even have a plan? Doesn't look like it!
    Braves got two prospects back in this deal.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Get a team, if you are so good

Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Terrible trade. So bad I wouldn't mind if Hart was fired. I mean we are rebuilding right? Why are we trading away prospects? I thought teams that were rebuilding traded for young players.....not players in their 30's. By the time we are good again he will be past his prime. I doubt we will ever be good again however. Gary doesn't seem, he is just randomly making trades. I mean what is the logic here? Do we even have a plan? Doesn't look like it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    FWIW I've yet to see anyone outside this board say the Braves got hosed.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I'll take the 24 year old SP that's already got a track record of success over the medically questionable 30 year old that hasn't even shown he can own minor league pitching.

I was all for trading Wood, and even understand moving Peraza; I just expected a better return than a 30 year old question mark, an injured reliever, a low level SP prospect that's getting torched and a lottery ticket late first pick.

I wasn't expecting much for JJ or Avilan. I can see a low level prospect for those 2. I just can't fathom the logic of Olivera for Wood/Peraza.

Moving Wood/Peraza should have at the least produced 2 long term starters or 1 sure fire young stud. We got neither here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    FWIW I've yet to see anyone outside this board say the Braves got hosed.
    I think people have been dying to have a reason to get on the front office. After basically all of the trades have worked out great in the offseason they had to check themselves and realize this front office knows what they are doing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think people have been dying to have a reason to get on the front office. After basically all of the trades have worked out great in the offseason they had to check themselves and realize this front office knows what they are doing.
    I thought they knew what they were doing until this debacle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    I thought they knew what they were doing until this debacle
    People didn't think they knew what they were doing after the Heyward/Upton deals either.

This trade may end up blowing up in their faces...Just saying though....
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I still think signing Uribe for a year or two is a good move. Gives you a bench bat and insurance against both Olivera's health and Peterson's bat.

If Ruiz comes on next year and Olivera is hitting well, I would trade him and target a haul like the Brewers just got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I still think signing Uribe for a year or two is a good move. Gives you a bench bat and insurance against both Olivera's health and Peterson's bat.

If Ruiz comes on next year and Olivera is hitting well, I would trade him and target a haul like the Brewers just got.
    I find it hard to believe that the Braves are going to trade Olivera at this point. Clearly they are enamored with him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Some people just legitimately think this is a bad trade. That is an opinion you can have. I've been fully behind pretty much every move, but not this one.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

TXBravesFan (07-30-2015)