Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal: Braves players frustrated with Fredi; he has "lost the clubhouse"

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Something that hasn't been mentioned much since it happened is when Fredi didn't go to the wall for Wood when Wood had a meltdown due to what he viewed as inconsistent calls by the homeplate ump. Those types of things do add up.

I've been harping on the trade of Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe a lot and I know it wouldn't have made that much difference in the team's performance (and we did get two mid-level arms that could contribute in the deal), but the revolving door that was installed in August can't do much for clubhouse atmosphere. Add to that the fact that our pitching has pretty much fallen apart and a team can deflate rapidly and dramatically. Even when a team knows deep down that it's not going to be a playoff contender, guys want to at least be competitive and when the white flag was unfurled a little over a month ago, the gentle breezes that were merely nudging the boat simply stopped and everything came to a screeching halt.

Again, I'm not wedded to Fredi. If there's someone who the team feels comfortable in putting in place and seeing through the re-build, I'm all for it. This is kind of reminding me when Russ Nixon got bounced in 1990. He was an old-time baseball guy saddled with a bunch of talented youngsters who were learning on the job. The state of the team is a little different here in that it's Freeman and a bunch of mid-ceiling (at best) guys, but I get the feeling that Fredi doesn't see them preparing and he's carping about it.
    That's exactly the kind of thing that I think has made an impact.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-09-2015), JohnAdcox (09-09-2015), Prikichi (09-10-2015)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Fredi not sticking up for Alex when getting tossed while walking away from an ump was a turning point for me. Bobby would never have stood for that.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-09-2015), JohnAdcox (09-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Fredi not sticking up for Alex when getting tossed while walking away from an ump was a turning point for me. Bobby would never have stood for that.
    What really disappointed me about that is that he didn't stick up for Alex after the game, either—just kinda insinuated that Alex should have kept his composure. Now, I think that's fine to say to Alex in private as part of a broader discussion, but I imagine that Bobby would have taken a different approach in his public comments.

When Freddie got tossed between innings that time (Joe West?), Fredi's comment was to the effect of "I don't know what happened. I didn't see it."

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-09-2015), Dalyn (09-09-2015), JohnAdcox (09-09-2015), mossy (09-09-2015), Prikichi (09-10-2015), weso1 (09-09-2015)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    The thing is, if you're Fredi Gonzalez, you pretty much have to be a perfect manager of people to get by. I'm a big believer in the idea that the most important aspects of a manager's job are the ones that are least visible- the stuff that goes on behind the scenes matters more than the on-field strategizing, however easier the latter is to observe. Certainly no one thought of Bobby as a brilliant tactician or in-game manager during his last six or seven years, but he was so universally beloved in the clubhouse that it didn't really matter.

And since Fredi's never going to be regarded as much of a tactician, he really needs to get the people stuff right. Even a hint of discord isn't really acceptable.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-10-2015), Dalyn (09-09-2015), JohnAdcox (09-09-2015), Julio3000 (09-09-2015), weso1 (09-09-2015)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I can't believe more people aren't pointing fingers at Roger McDowell. Sure, there have been injuries, but I defy anyone to point out a pitcher who has improved during the 2015 season. Folty, Wisler, Perez were all more effective their first five starts than since ... Vizcaino did most of his rehab and sharpening away from Atlanta.

Would not miss him.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (09-09-2015), Braves1976 (09-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Shelby Miller. Johbson.
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I can't believe more people aren't pointing fingers at Roger McDowell. Sure, there have been injuries, but I defy anyone to point out a pitcher who has improved during the 2015 season. Folty, Wisler, Perez were all more effective their first five starts than since ... Vizcaino did most of his rehab and sharpening away from Atlanta.

Would not miss him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Roger has suddenly gone from a pitching coach that was so good JS had to personally step in to resign him before another team (the Phils?) signed him away, to being a main reason behind this terrible season?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Roger has suddenly gone from a pitching coach that was so good JS had to personally step in to resign him before another team (the Phils?) signed him away, to being a main reason behind this terrible season?
    Again, asking who has improved in this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Fredi can git. Go on now... git.
    thank you weso1!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-09-2015), Dalyn (09-09-2015), Prikichi (09-10-2015), The Chosen One (09-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I've thought for 3 years he's gotten a free pass. l .

Who has improved? Not just this season -- outside of Kimbrell the Braves haven't had a marketable pitcher in 10-15 years! Plus, at the MLB level this team has an inordinate number of injuries

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post

Would not miss him.
    I have not been that high on McDowell for a while, even back when Philly tried to take him from us I was not concerned. He is very overrated considering his actually track record and also we cannot just blame Fredi alone for all these pitchers going down with injuries since McDowell is the pitching coach and Fredi seems to listen to him quite a bit on such matters.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Certain coaches are better in areas than others. For instance, Leo became a very poor pitching coach after he found fame UNLESS he had a veteran to work with.

I think McDowell is the same way now. Give him a veteran like Shelby Miller to work with or Johnson or Grilli and he does good work. Give him an OJT rookie and not so much.

A lot of times for high end guys it involves finding the right guy at the right time. Don Baylor was that guy with Chipper when he made him go with a heavier bat and start hitting for some power instead of going with the light bat and relying on his speed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I've always supported Fredi against most internet criticism but I do have a gripe with him and it's a big one: he's a terrible communicator. I know English is his 2nd language but his interviews are amateurish. He always comes across nervous and speaks too fast, often repeating some cliche several times. Communication is a huge part of his job and he should be spending time in the off-season working on it. If he does he needs a new tutor.

If he uses that nervous Nellie, mealy mouthed routine in the clubhouse, then I could see how he could quickly lose the respect of players.
    Last edited by Runnin; 09-09-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I've always supported Fredi against most internet criticism but I do have a gripe with him and it's a big one: he's a terrible communicator. I know English is his 2nd language but his interviews are amateurish. He always comes across nervous and speaks too fast, often repeating some cliche several times. Communication is a huge part of his job and he should be spending time in the off-season working on it. If he does he needs a new tutor.

If he uses that nervous Nellie, mealy mouthed routine in the clubhouse, then I could see how he could quickly lose the respect of players.
    Agree entirely. It's all too easy to think the guy is a dope, regardless of whether or not he is one, because his post-game PCs just sound...well, bad, just as you describe.

One pet peeve of mine is that he always asks the reporters to fill in little details about the game for him. Like last night: "What did he have? Five strikeouts?" He does it OVER and OVER, and even if it's just a rhetorical tic, the sum impression is that he's not engaged. Dude, take 30 seconds to peep at the box score before you sit down and talk to the press.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    So if Fredi is let go, who is the best candidate to replace him? Maybe Eddie Perez?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    So if Fredi is let go, who is the best candidate to replace him? Maybe Eddie Perez?
    I hope that if they fire Fredi, they go outside the organization and bring in a whole new set of eyes and ears. If there's anyone in the system I'd consider, it would be Mississippi manager Aaron Holbert, but he's never managed above AA.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-09-2015), TXBravesFan (09-10-2015), weso1 (09-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It seems like it would be The Braves Way to bring in another Cox protege, but I hope they'd consider cutting the cord. Like 50 says, fresh eyes. Let Copp bring in his guy when he gets the reins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I hope that if they fire Fredi, they go outside the organization and bring in a whole new set of eyes and ears. If there's anyone in the system I'd consider, it would be Mississippi manager Aaron Holbert, but he's never managed above AA.
    I'm a huge proponent of going outside the organization to hire all of our coaches. Much easier to fire them if they are not good at what they do. I remember when UT hired former UT great D-linemen Chuck Smith as D-line coach. Well turns out he was a horrible coach. It was a nightmare when they had to fire him.
    thank you weso1!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    It seems like it would be The Braves Way to bring in another Cox protege, but I hope they'd consider cutting the cord. Like 50 says, fresh eyes. Let Copp bring in his guy when he gets the reins.
    The reason I mentioned Holbert is he's familiar with the system and has had some success in Mississippi. He worked his way through the Cardinals' system and did make it to the major leagues briefly, so he knows what it takes to play at the big league level. He's relatively young (42) and did manage in the Arizona Fall League a few years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The reason I mentioned Holbert is he's familiar with the system and has had some success in Mississippi. He worked his way through the Cardinals' system and did make it to the major leagues briefly, so he knows what it takes to play at the big league level. He's relatively young (42) and did manage in the Arizona Fall League a few years back.
    I don't pretend to have a clue, but I'd prefer a younger guy get the job, and a former player is a plus in my book.