Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Prospectus Releases Top 101 Prospects

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawkchop View Post
    Not to hijack the thread (I'm just really looking forward to the 2016 draft), but who is everyone eyeing/hoping for the Braves to grab at #3? I originally had my eyes on Rutherford (strictly because he's a bat).

Here's a link to fangraphs ratings for the upcoming draft. Looking back on 2015's draft, the top 3 picks are all in the Top 40 of BP's list that they just released. Can we expect our #3 pick to be placed in the same bucket (or was 2015 a deeper/stronger class)?
    way too early to tell. The pitchers are ahead of any hitters right now. But I am going to track Benson this spring. He might shoot up the list if he dominates high school like he should. Personally, I think this draft is deeper.. but the top talent coming out last year was more ready. I am not sure pick #3 cracks the top 50 or not... but the depth in this draft should mean great picks at our other two picks pre #50..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'm hoping for Groome to fall to 3 but I doubt he will so Puk may be the the pick but if Hansen can show he's healthy this year then he could be there bc he's a beast when healthy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I used to really enjoy BP's lists, but I can't stand Chris Crawford, so I don't care as much for their prospect content.

Baseball America still has the best top 100 rankings, especially used in conjunction with Klaw (who weights upside the strongest) and MLB.com (I enjoy Callis' commentary a lot).

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'm hoping for Groome to fall to 3 but I doubt he will so Puk may be the the pick but if Hansen can show he's healthy this year then he could be there bc he's a beast when healthy.
    Groome and Puk would be awesome to have. I am not as high on Hansen or Pint.. But spring will change everything. however, barring injury, I don't think Puk or Groome will slip much from the top.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I used to really enjoy BP's lists, but I can't stand Chris Crawford, so I don't care as much for their prospect content.

Baseball America still has the best top 100 rankings, especially used in conjunction with Klaw (who weights upside the strongest) and MLB.com (I enjoy Callis' commentary a lot).

when does Klaw and BA come out. I know MLB will post theirs tomorrow I think..

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    After looking a bit more in-depth at the list, it really doesn't make much sense to me. Just from looking at the rankings, it seems very upside-oriented and kind of downplays risk. That’s completely fine as a basis for a list. But there’s so many inconsistencies and the little blurbs just aren’t enough for me to trust the method. Newcomb should be higher on an upside list, potentially higher than Swanson. Hunter Harvey above Dillon Tate? What? Manuel Margot at 14 because of defensive upside, but Albert Almora all the way down at 83 when they have similar offensive profiles, but Almora is better both offensively and defensively. That makes no sense. Grant Holmes at 40 with very little projection left in him? I just really don’t understand the methodology of ranking here; it doesn’t flow consistently. So while it’s nice and allows for conversation, I put very little stock in it.
    Honestly, BPro's minor league coverage has kind of fallen apart since Goldstein left a few years ago. The list doesn't have Goldstein's scouting background or even the statistical bent it had in BPro's early days, so it's sort of a list without a philosophy.

But it's late January and this is something to talk about, so....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    After looking a bit more in-depth at the list, it really doesn't make much sense to me. Just from looking at the rankings, it seems very upside-oriented and kind of downplays risk. That’s completely fine as a basis for a list. But there’s so many inconsistencies and the little blurbs just aren’t enough for me to trust the method. Newcomb should be higher on an upside list, potentially higher than Swanson. Hunter Harvey above Dillon Tate? What? Manuel Margot at 14 because of defensive upside, but Albert Almora all the way down at 83 when they have similar offensive profiles, but Almora is better both offensively and defensively. That makes no sense. Grant Holmes at 40 with very little projection left in him? I just really don’t understand the methodology of ranking here; it doesn’t flow consistently. So while it’s nice and allows for conversation, I put very little stock in it.
    But at least the blurbs are heavy on unfunny internet snark - Crawford's métier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Groome and Puk would be awesome to have. I am not as high on Hansen or Pint.. But spring will change everything. however, barring injury, I don't think Puk or Groome will slip much from the top.
    I feel Puk will be there at 3. It all depends on the upcoming season and how the bats shape up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    I'd be happy with Puk. The idea of having a lefty trio of Puk, Allard, and Newcomb is really appealing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Puk will move quick to being a college pitcher. Maybe a bat like Rutherford will have an amazing season and make the case for us to take him at 3. Our outfield is pretty bad in the minors. Mallex is decent and Davidson has a chance to be ok but other than that it's a weak spot.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Puk will move quick to being a college pitcher. Maybe a bat like Rutherford will have an amazing season and make the case for us to take him at 3. Our outfield is pretty bad in the minors. Mallex is decent and Davidson has a chance to be ok but other than that it's a weak spot.
    I honestly like William Benson over Blake.. but I am not sure we can pass up these pitchers if they are available.. Groome and Puk will be top 50 upon signing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I agree, those 2 will be really good and we'd be lucky to have either one. It's gonna be interesting to see if anybody new emerges and allows Groome to fall to 3 maybe. He's the one I really want. It depends on how soon we need them in the rotation bc Groome will be a 3-4 year project and Puk probably 2 years.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 01-28-2016 at 07:30 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I honestly like William Benson over Blake.. but I am not sure we can pass up these pitchers if they are available.. Groome and Puk will be top 50 upon signing..
    Most top 3 picks are going to be top-50 upon signing. I think there's a strong chance one or two bats emerge and we take them.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Can't quite say I understand Mondesi or Tim Anderson that high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    There's alot wrong with that list, I'll wait for mlb to put theirs out tomorrow.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    There's alot wrong with that list, I'll wait for mlb to put theirs out tomorrow.
    +1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I fully expect Maitan and whichever pitcher the Braves draft at #3 (hopefully Groome) to be top 100 guys next year.
    Probably not, usually these guys have to come state side and show some success before they reach the Top 100. It's extremely rare you see a 16 year old in the Top 100.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Watching top 50 prospects on mlb network....into the 30s no braves
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Watching top 50 prospects on mlb network....into the 30s no braves
    are they counting down to #1.. strange that no Braves have been named yet..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Albies is the first brave on the top 50 board....he comes in at 29.....so Swanson and Newcomb will come in before him I'd imagine
    Get off my lawn!