Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: TOP 30 PROSPECTS: New Year's Eve Edition

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    I don't get why folks are so upset about losing that extra year of arbitration for Swanson because I feel pretty confident that if Dansby is what most scouts and we as avid/knowledgeable fans think he can/will be, then the Braves will at least lock him up like we did with Teheran, Kimbrel, and Simmons by buying out his last few arb years and the first few FA years at least! Wouldn't surprise me either for them to lock him up even longer if he is what we think he'll be.
    Perhaps because we have had a number of situations in the past where we weren't able to get those short term extensions for young players done. We weren't able to sign Furcal or Heyward like that, or McCann to a second deal when he was hitting FA. Just because we want to sign Swanson to that kinda deal doesn't mean he will do so.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Perhaps because we have had a number of situations in the past where we weren't able to get those short term extensions for young players done. We weren't able to sign Furcal or Heyward like that, or McCann to a second deal when he was hitting FA. Just because we want to sign Swanson to that kinda deal doesn't mean he will do so.
    McCann was a good no call though on the second deal. And realistically we only want to extend Swanson 3 or so years out anyways. He's 23 and having him for 9 years would put him through his year 32 season. Unless the flood gates open and the Braves are back to Ted Turner money we likely don't want to pay Swanson for any longer then that.

So really only two players, Heyward and Furcal, we weren't able to get a few extra years out of it. That's really not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    McCann was a good no call though on the second deal. And realistically we only want to extend Swanson 3 or so years out anyways. He's 23 and having him for 9 years would put him through his year 32 season. Unless the flood gates open and the Braves are back to Ted Turner money we likely don't want to pay Swanson for any longer then that.

So really only two players, Heyward and Furcal, we weren't able to get a few extra years out of it. That's really not that bad.
    Agreed on only extending Swanson 3 years or so, but that's one of the main reasons I could see an issue with extending him. He may be looking to cash in on that big 7 year deal since he'll be closing in on 30.

I'm not saying we can't get that deal by any means, I'm certainly hoping we can get a Rays type extension for him done in the future. But too many on here are just brushing it off like it's a certainty. It takes two to tango.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Agreed on only extending Swanson 3 years or so, but that's one of the main reasons I could see an issue with extending him. He may be looking to cash in on that big 7 year deal since he'll be closing in on 30.

I'm not saying we can't get that deal by any means, I'm certainly hoping we can get a Rays type extension for him done in the future. But too many on here are just brushing it off like it's a certainty. It takes two to tango.
    I agree with that point about Swanson and thinking about it earlier. He likely only has that one chance to get the big mega deal. Who knows if that will affect his decision or not. I personally would have kept him down but I have a feeling the new CBA will change those rules and JS knows about it.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    I don't get why folks are so upset about losing that extra year of arbitration for Swanson because I feel pretty confident that if Dansby is what most scouts and we as avid/knowledgeable fans think he can/will be, then the Braves will at least lock him up like we did with Teheran, Kimbrel, and Simmons by buying out his last few arb years and the first few FA years at least! Wouldn't surprise me either for them to lock him up even longer if he is what we think he'll be.

I would get the frustration if it was someone who is really good and we had money crunch situation but Dansby is a cornerstone player and I just don't see how he's not in Atlanta for AT LEAST the first few FA years.

I know some folks don't believe we're going to be competitive next year while the front office does, but these at-bats could be extremely valuable in his learning curve if we are there next year and if not he's going to have a year + worth of experience going into 2018 (when I think we will be extremely competitive) compared to just one year.

My main thing is this, if the F.O thinks he's capable of playing at this level now, then bring him up. Like I said, I truly believe the losing of an extra year isn't going to matter so bring him up when they think he's ready.
    Sorry, but that is flawed logic. By losing 1 year of control, we will either A) lose Dansby to FA one year earlier, or B) extend him, but the cost will be considerably higher due to that lost pre-arb year we are burning now. For example, let's assume at the end of the 2019 season we want to extend him for 6 years. By starting him now, he would be starting his second arb year with the 2020 season (super 2). So you'd be locking up 3 arby years and 3 FA years. On the other hand, if we had waited until next June to bring him up, he'd be in his last pre-arb year, so you'd be locking up 1 pre-arb year, 3 arb years, and 2 FA years. That would be a whole lot less costly than the former.
    Last edited by skillet; 08-20-2016 at 05:21 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (08-22-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I agree with that point about Swanson and thinking about it earlier. He likely only has that one chance to get the big mega deal. Who knows if that will affect his decision or not. I personally would have kept him down but I have a feeling the new CBA will change those rules and JS knows about it.
    This seems like the biggest potential point. If the CBA changes this could all be moot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    This seems like the biggest potential point. If the CBA changes this could all be moot.
    Agreed that a new CBA could completely change this landscape. But until that happens, this current CBA makes seriously considering holding back playing time to gain team control very valuable and one that must be considered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Exactly, my feelings on him coming up early really depend on how the CBA changes. Could be a moot point or a poor decision depending on that.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Maitan now ranked #100 by MLB pipelines.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-22-2016), JohnAdcox (09-07-2016), thewupk (08-21-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Sorry, but that is flawed logic. By losing 1 year of control, we will either A) lose Dansby to FA one year earlier, or B) extend him, but the cost will be considerably higher due to that lost pre-arb year we are burning now. For example, let's assume at the end of the 2019 season we want to extend him for 6 years. By starting him now, he would be starting his second arb year with the 2020 season (super 2). So you'd be locking up 3 arby years and 3 FA years. On the other hand, if we had waited until next June to bring him up, he'd be in his last pre-arb year, so you'd be locking up 1 pre-arb year, 3 arb years, and 2 FA years. That would be a whole lot less costly than the former.
    As it stands Swanson will not be a super 2. That designation is currently for players who come up at some point after the first couple of weeks and before June. Swanson will be pre-arb for 2017-2019 and then Arb for 2020-2022. If he had come up next May he would be pre-arb 2017-2019 and then Arb for 2020-2023. If we waited until June he would be pre-arb 2017-2020 and then arb 2021-2023.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    What amazes me more than any of this hold-him-back chatter is that people on this board are worried about how a BILLIONAIRE spends his money. I submit that any of you who dwell on this more than a little are not true fans -- I will go so far as to wager you have seldom if ever dropped a nickel on this team as a fan attending a game. Doing the budget for the next four years is an interesting intellectual exercise -- but at admit that's what it is. You take no pleasure in watching a rookie break in.

BTW, BRAVES WIN!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    What amazes me more than any of this hold-him-back chatter is that people on this board are worried about how a BILLIONAIRE spends his money. I submit that any of you who dwell on this more than a little are not true fans -- I will go so far as to wager you have seldom if ever dropped a nickel on this team as a fan attending a game. Doing the budget for the next four years is an interesting intellectual exercise -- but at admit that's what it is. You take no pleasure in watching a rookie break in.

BTW, BRAVES WIN!
    People care about the budget four years from now because the budget isn't unlimited and they want the best team possible today and the best team possible then. And the Braves aren't owned by a Billionaire they are owned by a corporation who really only care about stock prices and dividends.

Even IF the Braves don't lose Swanson because of money, assuming he is as good as we all hope, he will still command a lot of money. Having to pay him big money a year before you have to will absolutely have an impact on the rest of the payroll and possible cost the Braves a player they didn't want to lose or force them to forego the addition of a needed player.

If showing concern for fielding the best TEAM as opposed to blindly being happy in a bad season because at least I get to see a bit of the future, regardless of how the now effects the future, then yeah, I'm not a true fan. I've only been following and attending Braves games since the late 1970's. But hey, whatever.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-07-2016), skillet (08-22-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Looks like ManBan signed with the Angels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Probably a top 10 prospect for them.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-22-2016), JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post

BTW, BRAVES WIN!
    You sir would be quite wrong.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    People care about the budget four years from now because the budget isn't unlimited and they want the best team possible today and the best team possible then. And the Braves aren't owned by a Billionaire they are owned by a corporation who really only care about stock prices and dividends.

Even IF the Braves don't lose Swanson because of money, assuming he is as good as we all hope, he will still command a lot of money. Having to pay him big money a year before you have to will absolutely have an impact on the rest of the payroll and possible cost the Braves a player they didn't want to lose or force them to forego the addition of a needed player.

If showing concern for fielding the best TEAM as opposed to blindly being happy in a bad season because at least I get to see a bit of the future, regardless of how the now effects the future, then yeah, I'm not a true fan. I've only been following and attending Braves games since the late 1970's. But hey, whatever.
    Very well said, of which I completely agree.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Very well said, of which I completely agree.
    Me too. It's how I see it. The only justification is front office really expects to contend in 2017,which seems rather unlikely, and wants Swanson to get work in now.

But that's a really strange reason to promote a guy the front office admits isn't ready.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    It's not just about maximizing how many years of Swanson's prime we have under control.

I see that argument, but at the same time is that final year of Swanson's clock going to be worth it if Freeman is past his prime?

I'm sure the front office is also considering the shelf life of Freeman and Julio whom are the parts of the core they have the most money invested in.

Regardless if we can afford to pay Swanson or not, if our farm system isn't producing solid ML players again to replace outgoing ones we're screwed anyways.
    Forever Fredi

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Probably a top 10 prospect for them.
    Close enough! ManBan is #19 on the Angels' prospect list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Not sure where to put this, but a BA Hotsheet chat indicated that Wiegel would be a top 100 guy pretty easily next year.
    Ivermectin Man

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Chico (09-07-2016), jpx7 (09-07-2016), rico43 (09-07-2016), UNCBlue012 (09-07-2016)