Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: DH Coming to the NL?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So because the Bulls won the title that means their conference was the best conference? Am I following your logic correctly?
    If your team "won it all"...then yes. The Patriots have been in a crappy division year after year. No one cares, when that division has the super bowl winner. I see what you are saying...I do. People remember championships though, not high win percentages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I don't care about pitchers not hitting as much as I care about a guy who does nothing all game except walk to the plate four times and swing the bat. It's kinda lame for that guy to have such a major potential impact offensively and not have to field a position, all game, every single game.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I don't care about pitchers not hitting as much as I care about a guy who does nothing all game except walk to the plate four times and swing the bat. It's kinda lame for that guy to have such a major potential impact offensively and not have to field a position, all game, every single game.

Plus, the DH promotes obesity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    [/B]

Plus, the DH promotes obesity.
    Calm down there, Michelle.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Calm down there, Michelle.
    More fruits and vegetables on the post-game training table. NOW!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

yeezus (10-06-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    If your team "won it all"...then yes. The Patriots have been in a crappy division year after year. No one cares, when that division has the super bowl winner. I see what you are saying...I do. People remember championships though, not high win percentages.
    Ok. Well, by that measure, the AL has also won 19 of the last 32 WS, 14 of the last 24, 10 of the last 18, etc.

By pretty much any measure, the AL has been a better league than the NL. Maybe not by a ton, but the evidence is there.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    To be fair, those are some of the most boring parts of baseball.
    In your opinion, they might be. In mine, they are not.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Ok. Well, by that measure, the AL has also won 19 of the last 32 WS, 14 of the last 24, 10 of the last 18, etc.

By pretty much any measure, the AL has been a better league than the NL. Maybe not by a ton, but the evidence is there.
    I do think, however, the AL has a big advantage in AL parks vs. the NL that the NL doesn't have in their own parks.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I do think, however, the AL has a big advantage in AL parks vs. the NL that the NL doesn't have in their own parks.
    what?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    To most fans who have grown up in the DH era it is. And for a sport that always wants to infuse offense into the league the DH in the NL is something that is just going to happen at some point.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    To most fans who have grown up in the DH era it is. And for a sport that always wants to infuse offense into the league the DH in the NL is something that is just going to happen at some point.
    I agree it will probably happen. Im not sure that type of baseball keeps my interest.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I just can't stomach watching a pitcher lay down a ****ty bunt 3 times a game, if he's fortunate. The rest of the game he's an automatic strikeout.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, I think most have accepted that it's going to happen at some point. But I do agree with giles that it isn't boring. To me, the more baseball becomes about just mashing, the more boring it is. I like variety and the idea that players of varying skills can have impacts on the game, and that there are multiple ways to score runs. I know that discussion isn't entirely about the DH, though.

But to take it to its logical extreme, we could eliminate strikeouts and move the fences in another 50 feet. After all, that would mean more offense and thus be more exciting, right? I don't think anyone would enjoy that just because more runs were scored.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Whether you like AL or NL baseball better is an opinion.

The AL being better than the NL due to the DH is a fact.

Whether or not you think that advantage needs to be corrected is also an opinion. If you think it is acceptable for the AL to have a measurable advantage over the NL in interleague play and the World Series, then I question your understanding of creating an even playing field.

Smootness just listed out how much the DH advantage has benefited the AL in the WS over the last few decades, and I gave the data about their advantage in interleague play. That advantage needs to be remedied, either by removing the DH completely, or adopting it completely. I'm pretty sure we all know which outcome is more likely to happen (or maybe not).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    what?
    exactly.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yeah, I think most have accepted that it's going to happen at some point. But I do agree with giles that it isn't boring. To me, the more baseball becomes about just mashing, the more boring it is. I like variety and the idea that players of varying skills can have impacts on the game, and that there are multiple ways to score runs. I know that discussion isn't entirely about the DH, though.

But to take it to its logical extreme, we could eliminate strikeouts and move the fences in another 50 feet. After all, that would mean more offense and thus be more exciting, right? I don't think anyone would enjoy that just because more runs were scored.
    I understand that completely. I grew up on NL ball and for the longest time have preferred it. Lately however it just upsets me to see a rally thwarted because it's the pitchers turn at bat.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Whether you like AL or NL baseball better is an opinion.

The AL being better than the NL due to the DH is a fact.

Whether or not you think that advantage needs to be corrected is also an opinion. If you think it is acceptable for the AL to have a measurable advantage over the NL in interleague play and the World Series, then I question your understanding of creating an even playing field.

Smootness just listed out how much the DH advantage has benefited the AL in the WS over the last few decades, and I gave the data about their advantage in interleague play. That advantage needs to be remedied, either by removing the DH completely, or adopting it completely. I'm pretty sure we all know which outcome is more likely to happen (or maybe not).
    I've advocated home-team option for years. I think it would add a lot of strategy to the game in how teams view other teams' strengths and weaknesses. Add a player to the roster with 25 active on game day (and the inactive player cannot be a pitcher from the starting rotation). That would give teams the flexibility to add an extra bat in non-DH games if they so chose. Make a requirement that teams would have to play so many DH or non-DH games during the season.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

smootness (10-06-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I understand that completely. I grew up on NL ball and for the longest time have preferred it. Lately however it just upsets me to see a rally thwarted because it's the pitchers turn at bat.
    I get that, but to me it's just part of baseball. If a team doesn't want that to happen, then find pitchers who can hit. I just hate that the DH was ever adopted in the AL because now the easy answer is just, 'Let's add the DH.' And we know it's not going anywhere in the AL, which makes it inevitable to eventually come to the NL.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've advocated home-team option for years. I think it would add a lot of strategy to the game in how teams view other teams' strengths and weaknesses. Add a player to the roster with 25 active on game day (and the inactive player cannot be a pitcher from the starting rotation). That would give teams the flexibility to add an extra bat in non-DH games if they so chose. Make a requirement that teams would have to play so many DH or non-DH games during the season.
    Are you talking about for every game during the season? That's somewhat intriguing, though likely never going to happen.

But how would you enforce the requirement on a certain number of DH/non-DH games? If half a team's games are out of its control?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I think we should just adopt the DH in both leagues but just make the DH pitch each inning. That should solve everything right?!?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

smootness (10-06-2016)