Thread: 2016 Postseason Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Chapman only threw 20 pitches, so it's not like he extended him too much. But if he was going to pull him after a single batter in the 9th, why even bother letting him start the 9th? Just a weird move all around in my opinion.
    My point.

15 pitches is enough, letting him go just one batter is dumb, more stress on his arm that he didnt need.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I dont really see why a hitter wouldn't want to hit secon.
    As I grew up watching baseball, I had the understanding that the best hitter on the team hit third and it was a considered a sign of honor/respect to have that role. Granted, the game has evolved, but most of the best hitters in the game are my age and likely grew up with that same understanding.

But my larger point is that it takes skill from the manager to make these decisions in a way that the players are understand and embrace, which is different from it being a "swipe of the pen".

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Freeman will never, ever, hit 2nd for the Braves, so I don't even bother suggesting it. The point is that it's moronic to bat a .300 OBP talent 2nd, period. Everyone but Snitker knows that apparently.

And notice how Chapman was used for 8 outs after never being used like that until Sunday? I have to assume that was largely influenced by the way Francona has been successfully utilizing Miller.
    I found the Adonis decision more damnable due to Snit falling into the sample size trap rather than lineup optimization. The hitter Adonis was in the second half definitely warranted justification for hitting second.

As for Chapman, absolutely true. Although, didn't Maddon due some of this in the Dodgers series? In general it seems like a lot of teams this postseason through their big guns lots of innings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    It's hard to comprehend how stupid the Indians are being right now. Dude, you have a 3-1 lead, finish it off. The Cubs take it and win the series now. Just absolutely idiotic.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    It's hard to comprehend how stupid the Indians are being right now. Dude, you have a 3-1 lead, finish it off. The Cubs take it and win the series now. Just absolutely idiotic.
    Not sure if serious?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Huh?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    If the Indians were just smart, they would have won!
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Chapman only threw 20 pitches, so it's not like he extended him too much. But if he was going to pull him after a single batter in the 9th, why even bother letting him start the 9th? Just a weird move all around in my opinion.
    I thought the same thing. My guess is Maddon felt neither Strop nor Wood had enough time to get loose after the Rizzo HR. The question here--at least to me--is "What's the difference between a five-run lead and a seven-run lead in the whole scheme of things?" I would have had those guys warming up at the beginning of the top of the ninth. Maddon's problem is that his bullpen is iffy beyond Chapman, so once you use Chapman in any situation, you almost have to keep riding him til the end.

Both guys have been managing aggressively but I think an argument can be made that their aggressiveness is getting the better of them. I keep having visions of Gene Mauch (who I watched managed the Twins in the 1970s). Lots of tinkering trying to reconstruct the odds.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I thought the same thing. My guess is Maddon felt neither Strop nor Wood had enough time to get loose after the Rizzo HR. The question here--at least to me--is "What's the difference between a five-run lead and a seven-run lead in the whole scheme of things?" I would have had those guys warming up at the beginning of the top of the ninth. Maddon's problem is that his bullpen is iffy beyond Chapman, so once you use Chapman in any situation, you almost have to keep riding him til the end.

Both guys have been managing aggressively but I think an argument can be made that their aggressiveness is getting the better of them. I keep having visions of Gene Mauch (who I watched managed the Twins in the 1970s). Lots of tinkering trying to reconstruct the odds.
    Both managers kind of played that same card. Scared that there team would blow a 5 run lead (why else throw Chapman/Allen/Miller). How sharp will Chapman be? Doubt he can be sharp over 2-3 innings, but maybe adrenaline gets him through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    If the Indians were just smart, they would have won!
    Pretty sure the Indians just didn't care enough last night

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    This should be a fun Game 7. I doubt we see any Indians pitchers not named Kluber, Miller, and Allen; and I doubt we see much from the Cubs pitchers outside of Hendricks, Chapman, and maybe Lester.

The tough question for the Indians will be (assuming the game is close): when do you pull Kluber for Miller? Do you do it at the first sign of trouble after the 3rd or 4th? Because Kluber is a great pitcher, and you don't want to take him out prematurely. But if you wait, he could give up another hit or two, and then you're in serious trouble.

It will be very interesting to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Game 7 should be really fun to watch. Lester will come in at any sign of trouble I'm sure Hendricks. Chapman will pitch 2 innings if he needs to also. I'd guess that Lackey will be used if he needs to. If the Indians have a lead after 5 then it's gonna get really really tough for the Cubs. Schwarber coming back for the WS has been a huge boost for the Cubs and makes it even more fun to watch.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This should be a fun Game 7. I doubt we see any Indians pitchers not named Kluber, Miller, and Allen; and I doubt we see much from the Cubs pitchers outside of Hendricks, Chapman, and maybe Lester.

The tough question for the Indians will be (assuming the game is close): when do you pull Kluber for Miller? Do you do it at the first sign of trouble after the 3rd or 4th? Because Kluber is a great pitcher, and you don't want to take him out prematurely. But if you wait, he could give up another hit or two, and then you're in serious trouble.

It will be very interesting to watch.
    If I'm the Indians I plan on Allen for 2 and Miller for 2. Possibly Shaw for 1 during a stretch of RH bats. I would try to avoid taking Kluber out before the 4th, but if he's in trouble in the 4, I would not hesitate to pull him.

The bigger question is why didn't the Indians find some scummy lefty to add to bullpen?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Coppy will make a trade right after the celebratory dog pile.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-02-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not sure if serious?
    No. lol The Cubs are a better team as it stands IMO. I think they finish it off tonight. Cleveland just got smacked last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Pretty sure the Indians just didn't care enough last night
    THIS. THANK YOU. Someone finally realizes I'm never sarcastic and think these guys don't care!!!

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    My point.

15 pitches is enough, letting him go just one batter is dumb, more stress on his arm that he didnt need.
    If you don't trust guys to protect a seven run lead, you're probably not a World Series team.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Tonight is going to be a more traditional model. Hendricks is going to throw a shutout and Kluber, weakened just a touch by overuse, is going to allow a run or two before leaving in the fifth for Miller and Allen.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Thought I heard Maddon mumble something in his postgame interview about not being able to get Strop ready quick enough for the first hitter in the 9th. Definitely makes it seem more curious IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?