Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Projecting the offseason 40-man roster

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    It will be really funny if the Braves turn Collmenter into a prospect or two. He pitched good for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Updated after initial wave of roster attrition.

Locked into 40-man spots (31)
    Currently on 40-man: Freddie Freeman, Julio Teheran, Matt Kemp, Nick Markakis, Tyler Flowers, Aaron Blair, Akeel Morris, Arodys Vizcaino, Paco Rodriguez, Ian Krol, Ender Inciarte, Daniel Winkler, Shae Simmons, Jace Peterson, Mike Foltynewicz, Matt Wisler, Williams Perez, Mallex Smith, John Gant, Mauricio Cabrera, Tyrell Jenkins, Rob Whalen, Adonis Garcia, Dansby Swanson, Jim Johnson, Rio Ruiz
    Added for Rule 5 Protection: Lucas Sims, Max Fried
    Acquisitions on MLB Deals: [Veteran Starter], [Veteran Starter], [Veteran Catcher]

On the bubble (13)
    Currently on 40-man: Josh Collmenter (arb-eligible), Jesse Biddle, Chris Withrow (arb-eligible), Jason Hursh, Chaz Roe, Jose Ramirez, Anthony Recker (arb-eligible)
    Added for Rule 5 Protection: Johan Camargo, Steve Janas, Connor Lien
    Acquisitions on MLB Deals: [Veteran Backup / Platoon IF], [Veteran 4th / 5th OF], [Rule 5 Pick]

Almost certainly removed from 40-man (4)
    Chase d'Arnaud, Casey Kelly, Ryan Weber, Brandon Cunniff

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    another one bites the dust. Weber claimed off waivers by Seattle

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    another one bites the dust. Weber claimed off waivers by Seattle
    One of our top 5 prospects?! $%&@!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    According to Braves transaction page, Casey Kelly and Brandon Cunniff outrighted to Gwinnett. Updates below.

Currently on 40-man: Freddie Freeman, Julio Teheran, Matt Kemp, Nick Markakis, Tyler Flowers, Aaron Blair, Akeel Morris, Arodys Vizcaino, Paco Rodriguez, Ian Krol, Ender Inciarte, Daniel Winkler, Shae Simmons, Jace Peterson, Mike Foltynewicz, Matt Wisler, Williams Perez, Mallex Smith, John Gant, Mauricio Cabrera, Tyrell Jenkins, Rob Whalen, Adonis Garcia, Dansby Swanson, Jim Johnson, Rio Ruiz
    Acquisitions on MLB Deals: [Veteran Starter], [Veteran Starter], [Veteran Catcher]

On the bubble (13)
    Currently on 40-man: Josh Collmenter (arb-eligible), Jesse Biddle, Chris Withrow (arb-eligible), Jason Hursh, Chaz Roe, Jose Ramirez, Anthony Recker (arb-eligible)
    Acquisitions on MLB Deals: [Veteran Backup / Platoon IF], [Veteran 4th / 5th OF], [Rule 5 Pick]

Almost certainly removed from 40-man (1)
    Chase d'Arnaud

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Casey Kelly and Cunniff outrighted to Gwinnett.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    According to Braves transaction page, Casey Kelly and Brandon Cunniff outrighted to Gwinnett. Updates below.

On the bubble (13)

Almost certainly removed from 40-man (1)
    Chase d'Arnaud
    Hursh, Roe, and Janas should all be gone. None of them offer enough upside to bother with considering our depth.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Hursh, Roe, and Janas should all be gone. None of them offer enough upside to bother with considering our depth.
    ???
    Hursh -- 1.97 ERA over 72 innings in the minors last season
    Janas -- 2.75 ERA over 85 innings in the Minors last season
    Roe -- is a dynamic Rghty killer. I was very impressed with him and his slider is devastating.

I understand one or two might be a casualty of the 40 man, but I would just write all three off due to production. Roe is the one I would keep.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Braves have activated Eric O'Flaherty and A.J. Pierzynski off the 60-day DL and then have them officially file for free agency along with Emilio Bonifacio.
    Last edited by rico43; 11-03-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    ???
    Hursh -- 1.97 ERA over 72 innings in the minors last season
    Janas -- 2.75 ERA over 85 innings in the Minors last season
    Roe -- is a dynamic Rghty killer. I was very impressed with him and his slider is devastating.

I understand one or two might be a casualty of the 40 man, but I would just write all three off due to production. Roe is the one I would keep.
    Yeah Roe seems like he has some upside and I'd like to see him start the year on the MLB team. Hursh and Janas put up nice ERAs, but career middle relievers who strike out 5-6 guys per 9 aren't exactly difficult to replace.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    Yeah Roe seems like he has some upside and I'd like to see him start the year on the MLB team. Hursh and Janas put up nice ERAs, but career middle relievers who strike out 5-6 guys per 9 aren't exactly difficult to replace.
    I wonder if anyone would claim Hursh. Really lousy peripherals but a heavy fastball. I think Janas would go unclaimed in the Rule 5.

Roe had his moments good and bad in his stint with the Braves and he may be a veteran who could help the team out of the gate in 2017 while younger arms work into shape. I'm flipping a coin on him. It's not like he couldn't be replaced.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    Exactly. We have so many young arms that we can be picky and go for the high upside arms. Guys like Hursh and Janas who can't come in and dominate an inning won't be on our radar IMO

I think Roe may have a shot due to the high K rate. I think that decision will be made by our two newest hires who know him more than us.

I also think we will sign a veteran free agent reliever or two. I know what our FO said, but with money to spend and it being a good reliever class I think we'll buy some trade chips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Updated with tendering of Collmenter, signings of Dickey and Colon, and contract purchases of Fried, Sims, and Camargo. Moved d'Arnaud up to the bubble.

Locked into 40-man spots (35)
    Currently on 40-man: Freddie Freeman, Julio Teheran, Matt Kemp, Nick Markakis, Tyler Flowers, Aaron Blair, Akeel Morris, Arodys Vizcaino, Paco Rodriguez, Ian Krol, Ender Inciarte, Daniel Winkler, Shae Simmons, Jace Peterson, Mike Foltynewicz, Matt Wisler, Williams Perez, Mallex Smith, John Gant, Mauricio Cabrera, Tyrell Jenkins, Rob Whalen, Adonis Garcia, Dansby Swanson, Jim Johnson, Rio Ruiz, Lucas Sims, Max Fried, Johan Camargo, Josh Collmenter, R.A. Dickey, Bartolo Colon
    Acquisitions on MLB Deals: [Veteran Starter], [Veteran Catcher], [Veteran Super Utility]

On the bubble (9)
    Currently on 40-man: Jesse Biddle, Chris Withrow (arb-eligible), Jason Hursh, Chaz Roe, Jose Ramirez, Anthony Recker (arb-eligible), Chase d'Arnaud
    Acquisitions on MLB Deals: [Veteran 4th / 5th OF], [Rule 5 Pick]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Updated with all recent moves. I've now seen both DOB and @BravesOptions (guy knows his stuff) report that Recker has one option remaining, so it seems like I whiffed on that one. I've moved Recker up to a lock since we are now able to stash him even if he doesn't make the OD roster.

If the Braves do add a Catcher to pair with Flowers, I'd speculate that Tuffy will lose his spot. I'm also hoping to see Withrow non-tendered by this week's deadline.

Locked into 40-man spots (35)
    Currently on 40-man: Freddie Freeman, Julio Teheran, Matt Kemp, Nick Markakis, Tyler Flowers, Aaron Blair, Akeel Morris, Arodys Vizcaino, Paco Rodriguez, Ian Krol, Ender Inciarte, Daniel Winkler, Shae Simmons, Jace Peterson, Mike Foltynewicz, Matt Wisler, Williams Perez, Mallex Smith, John Gant, Mauricio Cabrera, Tyrell Jenkins, Adonis Garcia, Dansby Swanson, Jim Johnson, Rio Ruiz, Lucas Sims, Max Fried, Johan Camargo, Josh Collmenter, R.A. Dickey, Bartolo Colon, Sean Rodriguez, Anthony Recker
    Acquisitions on MLB Deals: [Veteran Starter], [Veteran Catcher]

On the bubble (9)
    Currently on 40-man: Jesse Biddle, Chris Withrow (arb-eligible), Jason Hursh, Chaz Roe, Jose Ramirez, Chase d'Arnaud, Tuffy Gosewisch (arb-eligible)
    Acquisitions on MLB Deals: [4th / 5th OF], [LH Bench Bat]