Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves acquire Alex Jackson from SEA for Whalen and Povse

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Why would he be conceding potential with the bat by moving to C?
    Because the additional responsibilities required to be a successful full-time catcher take time away from a player being able to devote himself completely to other improvements (in this case, offensive growth).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2016), Julio3000 (12-07-2016), mqt (12-07-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Because the additional responsibilities required to be a successful full-time catcher take time away from a player being able to devote himself completely to other improvements (in this case, offensive growth).
    Eh, I don't know that I buy that. I mean, I get it logically, but there's enough time in a day to get your work in on both.

It requires a player willing to put in the work, though, so as it pertains to Jackson, maybe you're right.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Most of the things I've read suggests there is no chance Jackson can move back to catcher.

I think there are a number of factors that affect catchers ability to hit, fine tuning the craft is probably a part of it. The toll it takes is another.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Especially when one considers that if not for Dave Stewart being a complete buffoon, the Braves rebuild would actually look pretty dire. Remove Swanson and Inciarte from the organization and suddenly the Braves are in pretty awful shape.

When you are playing poker with a bunch of friends, and one of your buddies gets bored and just goes all in on the next hand so he can go watch TV, is the winner of that pot a better poker player than anyone else? Or is he simply the guy that just so happened to have a pair of kings when the stupid friend decided to go all in? Same thing happened with Coppy when he traded Miller.
    Give me a break. Shelby Miller coming off the season he did with 3 years of control was going net a very good return. No one forsaw what happened, but clearly we still could have netted a very good package from some other team if the D-Backs didn't pony up. May be not as good as what we got, but still a very good package.

The rebuild would still be going well regardless of that trade. We'd just be a bit further behind than we are now. But we'd still have Touki, Fried, Wisler, Folty, Newcombe, Mallex, Peterson, Ruiz, and Demerrite all from recent trades. And add all that talent to the talent we've either drafted or signed and it's still an amazingly rich and deep farm system.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Give me a break. Shelby Miller coming off the season he did with 3 years of control was going net a very good return. No one forsaw what happened, but clearly we still could have netted a very good package from some other team if the D-Backs didn't pony up. May be not as good as what we got, but still a very good package.

The rebuild would still be going well regardless of that trade. We'd just be a bit further behind than we are now. But we'd still have Touki, Fried, Wisler, Folty, Newcombe, Mallex, Peterson, Ruiz, and Demerrite all from recent trades. And add all that talent to the talent we've either drafted or signed and it's still an amazingly rich and deep farm system.

Having Ender and Swanson is a blessing but we would still have 6-7 top 100 prospects without them and that is not considering that we were going to trade Shelby and we were going to get a good return. Saying our rebuild would look dire is just someone wanting attention. Very nice of you to give that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Tyler Pike is the PTBNL.

Big kid with nice K numbers and low hits agaibst. But of course walks too many. Braves are real confident in their ability to develop young players.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Tyler Pike LHP is the PTBNL from Seattle trade

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Tyler Pike is the PTBNL.

Big kid with nice K numbers and low hits agaibst. But of course walks too many. Braves are real confident in their ability to develop young players.
    by seconds!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    by seconds!!!
    Took the day to take the old man to the hospital. I've got nothing else to do today!

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Tyler Pike is the PTBNL.

Well that's a lot more boring than I was hoping

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    Well that's a lot more boring than I was hoping
    Agreed... was hoping for someone who swings a stick and not another big arm project.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Is it just me, or do the Mariners seem to have a higher number of prospects flame out than usual?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    Is it just me, or do the Mariners seem to have a higher number of prospects flame out than usual?
    It's not just you. They have a heavily scrutinized player development program. It's been a problem since Jack Z ran the show which is ironic since the player development success he had in Milwaukee got him the job in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Interesting pitcher. Maybe a higher ceiling / lower floor version of Michael Mader? I assume he'll be in the AA rotation. A lot of good stuff in the article linked below.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (12-10-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Interesting pitcher. Maybe a higher ceiling / lower floor version of Michael Mader? I assume he'll be in the AA rotation. A lot of good stuff in the article linked below.

Seems like AA would be the spot, though that seems like a place that could get crowded too.

The Braves really think they can figure out high walk rates or just don't care too much about them...

I think any kind of lefty starter upside isn't a terrible thing to pick up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

This makes me a bit more optimistic about him.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It's not just you. They have a heavily scrutinized player development program. It's been a problem since Jack Z ran the show which is ironic since the player development success he had in Milwaukee got him the job in the first place.
    It's on the way to being fixed, but it was a lousy org for a lot of years. Dipoto will get it fixed, but there are a lot of stories like Pike in that system. Guys that were mishandled and have just not come anywhere near their potential.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts

Thanks for that article. It almost sounds like the kid has a better head on his shoulders than the people who were handling him.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    so the braves traded away a truly rare commodity in povse, a really tall guy who can throw pretty hard and never walked anybody while getting pretty close to the bigs in exchange for a cancer who will be out of baseball in a year and a pitcher who is basically the opposite of povse in terms of control and developmental path. just completely moronic. they have all of these pitchers and just can't help but to undervalue the **** out of them. at least this one anyway.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-12-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    so the braves traded away a truly rare commodity in povse, a really tall guy who can throw pretty hard and never walked anybody while getting pretty close to the bigs in exchange for a cancer who will be out of baseball in a year and a pitcher who is basically the opposite of povse in terms of control and developmental path.
    Well that's certainly one way of looking at it lol