Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Olivera Update

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I'll still never understand it. I don't know crap about scouting...it's just common sense. You don't give a 30+ year old guy who has NEVER played in MLB to a $60+ contract. It's just common sense. You also don't trade for one. Also, shouldn't some warning bells go off for you as a GM, if a team that has signed a guy to a big contract wants to trade him a few months later?? This has so many "buyer beware" warnings...soooo many!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Yeah, but you should have seen his projected surplus value. It was off the charts.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (12-30-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I'll still never understand it. I don't know crap about scouting...it's just common sense. You don't give a 30+ year old guy who has NEVER played in MLB to a $60+ contract. It's just common sense. You also don't trade for one. Also, shouldn't some warning bells go off for you as a GM, if a team that has signed a guy to a big contract wants to trade him a few months later?? This has so many "buyer beware" warnings...soooo many!!
    You might trade for him but probably don't want to give up a lot.

I still don't think Atlanta did, but it was still too much.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Remember Freeman went on rehab assignment and watched Olivera take BP. Said he was the real deal and the sound off his bat was different. Lmao.
    Well, now you know who has a huge influence on decisions. Then they turned around and said that they didn't want Olivera back in the clubhouse. After that, they wanted Snitz to stay on as manager. While there is probably some wisdom in this, it does lead one to wonder who's in charge.

Springer's Final Thought: Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to laugh off and act as if Olivera was never going to have a major league career, but that was long before the domestic incident and the fall out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    According to the Twitters, Olivera was playing winter ball in Puerto Rico and quit his winter ball team after becoming frustrated that no MLB teams had made him an offer. He was hitting a blazing .250 with an impressive 1 HR and a staggering 14 RBIs in 33 games.

This guy is a child.
    Well, keep your hands off of a woman next time and maybe someone will at least put up with your pedestrian numbers. Jeez, people are just so stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Well, now you know who has a huge influence on decisions. Then they turned around and said that they didn't want Olivera back in the clubhouse. After that, they wanted Snitz to stay on as manager. While there is probably some wisdom in this, it does lead one to wonder who's in charge.

Springer's Final Thought: Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to laugh off and act as if Olivera was never going to have a major league career, but that was long before the domestic incident and the fall out.
    The problem is that I don't know if there was that big of a group that thought the Olivera trade was a good one when it happened. The idea that you're trading for an oft injured 30 year old with no major league experience and a big contract that doesn't run out anytime soon wasn't a trade that made a lot of sense. I know that I for one thought the trade was terrible from the start.

After Olivera reached Atlanta it became painfully clear that he didn't have major league tools. It was one of those times where the stats and what you see are perfectly in line. Olivera's percentage of hard hit balls was really low and his percentage of popups was really high. Both of those indicate a guy who doesn't have good enough bat speed. When you watched him you saw he was either consistently late or he was guessing and rolling the ball over. In the field it was obvious he didn't have the range or the hands to play third. It was so obvious that he wasn't going to be a major league success so quickly that you have to wonder why the Braves didn't see that before. I can only guess that they didn't scout him while he was playing in the minors for the Dodgers before the trade (he was hurt when the trade happened so it is a possibility they hadn't taken much of a look at him in the Dodgers system).

While the domestic violence was something no one saw coming, I expect Olivera would have been sent back to AAA before the All Star break no matter what. The guy just wasn't a major leaguer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Well, keep your hands off of a woman next time and maybe someone will at least put up with your pedestrian numbers. Jeez, people are just so stupid.

How about just not hitting anyone regardless of gender?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-30-2016), JohnAdcox (12-30-2016), UNCBlue012 (12-30-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    The problem is that I don't know if there was that big of a group that thought the Olivera trade was a good one when it happened. The idea that you're trading for an oft injured 30 year old with no major league experience and a big contract that doesn't run out anytime soon wasn't a trade that made a lot of sense. I know that I for one thought the trade was terrible from the start.

After Olivera reached Atlanta it became painfully clear that he didn't have major league tools. It was one of those times where the stats and what you see are perfectly in line. Olivera's percentage of hard hit balls was really low and his percentage of popups was really high. Both of those indicate a guy who doesn't have good enough bat speed. When you watched him you saw he was either consistently late or he was guessing and rolling the ball over. In the field it was obvious he didn't have the range or the hands to play third. It was so obvious that he wasn't going to be a major league success so quickly that you have to wonder why the Braves didn't see that before. I can only guess that they didn't scout him while he was playing in the minors for the Dodgers before the trade (he was hurt when the trade happened so it is a possibility they hadn't taken much of a look at him in the Dodgers system).

While the domestic violence was something no one saw coming, I expect Olivera would have been sent back to AAA before the All Star break no matter what. The guy just wasn't a major leaguer.
    That last comment wasn't referencing the trade as much as the Braves' original interest before the Dodgers signed him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    We got bullied by the Dodgers. Not that Wood or Peraza has been a whole lot, but they unloaded that guy as soon as they could after their guys got a good look at him. Well played LA, well played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    How about just not hitting anyone regardless of gender?
    That would absolutely be a great idea. Though, my statement was a blanket statement of how about he stop complaining, stop hitting people and hit a baseball -- if he can't do it, stop complaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We got bullied by the Dodgers. Not that Wood or Peraza has been a whole lot, but they unloaded that guy as soon as they could after their guys got a good look at him. Well played LA, well played.
    I do miss Wood and thought he'd be really good in LA. But man, I'm so glad we got rid of Peraza. I would have loved to actually have gotten something for him, but I was never impressed or excited about the guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I do miss Wood and thought he'd be really good in LA. But man, I'm so glad we got rid of Peraza. I would have loved to actually have gotten something for him, but I was never impressed or excited about the guy.
    Look at what the Dodgers got for Peraza. They sent him to the Reds in the Frazier deal with two other guys and landed three guys back. Judging the value of each guy in the trade, they essentially traded Peraza for Frankie Montas. Montas can hit triple digits and maintain a high 90's fastball late into games. He was sent to the A's as a centerpiece of the Rich Hill trade. That's what upsets me about trading Peraza. He still had value around the game and we didn't get anything of value back for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    People around here started discounting Peraza when Albies made a big splash. An example of the Shiny New Toy phenomenon. Albies is a great prospect, a better one than Peraza. But Peraza is going to be good.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    People around here started discounting Peraza when Albies made a big splash. An example of the Shiny New Toy phenomenon. Albies is a great prospect, a better one than Peraza. But Peraza is going to be good.
    Just like there was nonsense talk of TD replacing Peraza. The new toy is always better and the old toy is now rubbish.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Look at what the Dodgers got for Peraza. They sent him to the Reds in the Frazier deal with two other guys and landed three guys back. Judging the value of each guy in the trade, they essentially traded Peraza for Frankie Montas. Montas can hit triple digits and maintain a high 90's fastball late into games. He was sent to the A's as a centerpiece of the Rich Hill trade. That's what upsets me about trading Peraza. He still had value around the game and we didn't get anything of value back for him.
    I get why you make the trade. If HO worked out it would be of been a good trade. Productive MLBers at below market costs are valuable as we have seen. The problem with HO is he never proved to be a productive player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I get why you make the trade. If HO worked out it would be of been a good trade. Productive MLBers at below market costs are valuable as we have seen. The problem with HO is he never proved to be a productive player.
    The problem is that HO was a bad gamble to begin with. We didn't do our homework and it bit us. Hopefully the lesson is learned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just like there was nonsense talk of TD replacing Peraza. The new toy is always better and the old toy is now rubbish.
    You mean TD replacing Albies? Well that is a whole other category of lunacy.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Yeah. There has been more than a little talk of Albies now being expendable. While any prospect shouldn't be untouchable given the right price and circumstances the Braves should not be looking to trade Albies at all.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    As the centerpiece of of trade for an underpaid ace, perhaps not.

However, other teams offered or dealt ChiSox double Sale's surplus value. So he's safe for awhile.

Why are we so certain of his ML studliness after his mediocre performance over half a year at Gwinnett?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Southcack77 (12-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    As the centerpiece of of trade for an underpaid ace, perhaps not.

However, other teams offered or dealt ChiSox double Sale's surplus value. So he's safe for awhile.

Why are we so certain of his ML studliness after his mediocre performance over half a year at Gwinnett?
    there is no certainty being claimed...about Albies or any other player