Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves and Analytics

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    With these quotes it softens the blow a bit from Snitker being hired before we got our GM in place. At least there is a little hope that he is open to the ideas. I really wish we would have held off on making some other decisions, though. Hiring Weiss and retaining Chuck Hernandez being the ones I think we are most likely to regret. Wish Anthopolous would have had a chance to get his guys fully in place
    Man, that Snitker interview was more productive for the new front office's desired story line than anyone could have guessed.

People went from saying Snitker was a dinosaur who would ruin the team to blaming his decisions on the OLD front office and praising the new one for their modern approach. Hats off to the marketing person that came up with that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Man, that Snitker interview was more productive for the new front office's desired story line than anyone could have guessed.

People went from saying Snitker was a dinosaur who would ruin the team to blaming his decisions on the OLD front office and praising the new one for their modern approach. Hats off to the marketing person that came up with that.
    So wait, you’re saying the old FO weren’t dinosaurs, and AA isn’t modernizing the organization? You don’t see any evidence before this quote that the old FO didn’t subscribe to advanced analytics?

You are never, ever, willing to connect dots logically and always wait for a source to explicitly state anything before you’ll believe it. But only when doing so backs up your stance.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    While I seriously doubt announcers have much influence on FO decisions, they undoubtedly echo the overall sentiment of the organization.
    Indeed—and team-based announcers largely have to do that, given their working relationships with a specific team. For that reason, I'm somewhat interested to hear the tenor of the announcers' commentary this upcoming season. Observing the turnabout could be perversely enjoyable.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (12-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

It can be both, you know. Both (a) the old front-office was run by dinosaurs who hired a dinosaur lackey as manager, but held even him back by offering only dinosauric solutions; and (b) Snitker is receptive and willing to change for his new boss, Anthopolous is modernizing and refocusing the FO towards a more analytics-reliant outlook, and it's an effective marketing strategy to mark out that cooperation between the two managers whilst demarcating where the old FO was holding both its head coach and whole organization back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-17-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    If this is truly the first time Snitker has ever seen analytical data, that is truly disturbing and somewhat comical. A big league organization with no analytical data department at all. That’s just awful.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-17-2017), jpx7 (12-17-2017), nsacpi (12-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    If this is truly the first time Snitker has ever seen analytical data, that is truly disturbing and somewhat comical. A big league organization with no analytical data department at all. That’s just awful.
    Barves Way!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    We’ve been saying this for years, and for years the pozzies have told us we weren’t smarter than the FO.

Turns out we probably were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We’ve been saying this for years, and for years the pozzies have told us we weren’t smarter than the FO.

Turns out we probably were.
    gold standard hubris
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the point is that the manager and players have to be given the information and in the previous front office no such information was forthcoming.
    Yea I agree with that; I'm beyond glad that our FO has changed over.

I just don't like this charade by Snitker; he acts like he was managing in North Korea and analytics weren't allowed through his firewall. I just think if it really mattered to him and he was really trying to modernize his thinking of the game and his optimization of his roster - he could have opened up to some of this with or without AA.

I agree that in the end it doesn't really matter - we are all in a better place with the current FO.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I just don't like this charade by Snitker; he acts like he was managing in North Korea and analytics weren't allowed through his firewall. I just think if it really mattered to him and he was really trying to modernize his thinking of the game and his optimization of his roster - he could have opened up to some of this with or without AA.

I agree that in the end it doesn't really matter - we are all in a better place with the current FO.
    Sometimes it takes hearing it from a different point of view to really grasp things. Again the guy is 62 years old and I wouldn't necessarily expect him to figure these things out on his own and really understand it. It's likely the FO presented it to him in a way that was easier to understand.

All that really matters is that he apparently has this information and will make use of it on the field.

The Coppy debacle could be the best thing to happen to this organization.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Snitker is the ultimate company man. If the Braves were living in the 90s, so was Snitker. Now that they are modernizing, so is Snitker.

To expect a manager with zero training/education in analytics to figure this stuff out on his own is silly. The FO’s job is to provide the information and he’ll the manager implement strategies to take advantage of it.

The previous FO obviously failed at that. Whether or not they even had that information is open for debate, but I find it hard to believe they spent the resources to acquire data and then decided not to utilize it by passing it to the dugout.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    So wait, you’re saying the old FO weren’t dinosaurs, and AA isn’t modernizing the organization? You don’t see any evidence before this quote that the old FO didn’t subscribe to advanced analytics?

You are never, ever, willing to connect dots logically and always wait for a source to explicitly state anything before you’ll believe it. But only when doing so backs up your stance.

First, I noticed the Snitker quote several days ago and wondered when someone was going to take the bait.

Second, cuss the old front office all you want. I don't care. they were terrible cheaters who incurred a massive and justified penalty through their own wrongdoing and deserved to be fired each and every one.

third, all it takes is Snitker saying he's never heard of analytics and is interested in what they might be for everyone to do a 180 and say oooh the new front office is smart...? Y'all are soft touches, thats all.

It was a lovely thing for the Braves media to get out there.

I'm all for anything that maybe shuts a few people up for about ten minutes about how incompetent everyone else is. They were already circling AA for not making a move in the first five minutes of winter meetings.

Go AA. Got Braves media office. Woo hoo.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Sometimes it takes hearing it from a different point of view to really grasp things. Again the guy is 62 years old and I wouldn't necessarily expect him to figure these things out on his own and really understand it. It's likely the FO presented it to him in a way that was easier to understand.

All that really matters is that he apparently has this information and will make use of it on the field.

The Coppy debacle could be the best thing to happen to this organization.
    You wouldn't expect a professional baseball person to investigate something that has been a major revolution in the sport for three decades or so until someone comes to him about it two years into his managing career?

That's very understanding of you.

I find it refreshing that Snitker is now given some benefit of the doubt after seeing over the top criticisms about how he was going to kill any chance of winning. Let's stick with this old dog learning new tricks idea.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 12-17-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I don't think Snitker and his staff will last past this coming season under AA, it is terrible Hernandez is our pitching coach as he is probably the worst in MLB and the sooner he is gone the better. Further, pretty much everyone on Snitker's staff is against analytics. Ron Washington even cost the Rangers a World Series against the Cardinals because he refused to replace Cruz with a good defender in RF late in game 6 which ended up costing them the game and then they lost in 7 games. Lastly, I think y'all are making too much of Snitker saying he is open here. What else is he going to say? I reckon you could argue well if his name was Ron Washington he wouldn't be open at all. That's true. But this is why I don't see this staff lasting past this coming season if AA is truly in charge here.

Hernandez needs to go ASAP and be replaced by someone that can help our young pitching. It's a joke he is still with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    First, I noticed the Snitker quote several days ago and wondered when someone was going to take the bait.

Second, cuss the old front office all you want. I don't care. they were terrible cheaters who incurred a massive and justified penalty through their own wrongdoing and deserved to be fired each and every one.

third, all it takes is Snitker saying he's never heard of analytics and is interested in what they might be for everyone to do a 180 and say oooh the new front office is smart...? Y'all are soft touches, thats all.

It was a lovely thing for the Braves media to get out there.

I'm all for anything that maybe shuts a few people up for about ten minutes about how incompetent everyone else is. They were already circling AA for not making a move in the first five minutes of winter meetings.

Go AA. Got Braves media office. Woo hoo.
    Again: it can be both. This can be savvy marketing spin, and the Braves can have legitimately upgraded their front-office.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    You wouldn't expect a professional baseball person to investigate something that has been a major revolution in the sport for three decades or so until someone comes to him about it two years into his managing career.

That's very understanding of you.

I find it refreshing that Snitker is now given some benefit of the doubt after seeing over the top criticisms about how he was going to kill any chance of winning. Let's stick with this old dog learning new tricks idea.

If your bosses are telling you not to worry about it then how much time are you really going to invest in it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Agreed. But it isn't surprising for an MLB team that is built on young pitching hiring Chuck Hernandez as their MLB pitching coach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Again: it can be both. This can be savvy marketing spin, and the Braves can have legitimately upgraded their front-office.
    I have no doubt that AA is an upgrade, only question I have is the good old boys club truly dead where he can do his job without them putting any road blocks in his way.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Snitker is the ultimate company man. If the Braves were living in the 90s, so was Snitker. Now that they are modernizing, so is Snitker.

To expect a manager with zero training/education in analytics to figure this stuff out on his own is silly. The FO’s job is to provide the information and he’ll the manager implement strategies to take advantage of it.

The previous FO obviously failed at that. Whether or not they even had that information is open for debate, but I find it hard to believe they spent the resources to acquire data and then decided not to utilize it by passing it to the dugout.
    While I agree with you on Snitker being a company man, the simple fact that he seems astonished and pleased with how analytics might help is ludicrous.

Analytics are so commonplace in baseball at this point that it’s hard for me to give Snitker so much of a benefit of the doubt. Great coaches/managers are always learning and trying to get better, not waiting to get permission from their FO.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Yes. I know. It’s called nuance. I’m familiar with it.