Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McGuirk: Coppella Exit Like Cutting ‘Cancer’ To Move Ahead

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    don't think stewart was there at the time.
    but either way, Prado and Upton weren't super far apart for years after that trade. plus it brought us the disaster that was chris johnson and the subsequent contract extension.
    The disaster part of Chris Johnson, was the extension. If memory serves me correctly, as God knows my memory stinks!, He was good the first year we had him. Then, fell face down after that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Holy cow, who gives a crap who was better? They're both gone and we're probably better off for it. Yes, Wren gets credit for Albies and Acuna. And still he left us with hardly any talent overall.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-28-2018), bravesnumberone (03-29-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    don't think stewart was there at the time.
    but either way, Prado and Upton weren't super far apart for years after that trade. plus it brought us the disaster that was chris johnson and the subsequent contract extension.
    Looks like Stewart was hired by the Dbacks right after Wren was fired so he wasn't in Wren's universe as a GM it seems.

The trade itself was great. Johnson had a great 1st season here but his extension was awful.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-28-2018), nsacpi (03-28-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Holy cow, who gives a crap who was better? They're both gone and we're probably better off for it. Yes, Wren gets credit for Albies and Acuna. And still he left us with hardly any talent overall.
    The initial question I was posed was...who was worse?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Those discrediting wern for oz and Acuna are the same that praised coppy for abraham, Kevin and other signings. Seems two faced. Both guys were good and bad. But coppy and hart were scum who nut kicked our org like no other could have. **** them.
    Coppy

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-28-2018), bravesnumberone (03-29-2018), jpx7 (03-28-2018), nsacpi (03-28-2018), thewupk (03-28-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Call me crazy, but if Wren had the chance to deal Heyward, Upton, Simmons, Kimbrel, Wood, Gattis, Peraza and had 3 years of high draft picks, I'd suspect our farm system would be better than it is today

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-28-2018), clvclv (03-28-2018), jpx7 (03-28-2018), nsacpi (03-28-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Call me crazy, but if Wren had the chance to deal Heyward, Upton, Simmons, Kimbrel, Wood, Gattis, Peraza and had 3 years of high draft picks, I'd suspect our farm system would be better than it is today
    Sadly Wren was never given the chance at a rebuild on either end of his tenure here. Oh well. Luckily it looks like the people responsible for all these shenanigans are gone and AA has complete control of the team. Hoping that's the case anyways.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-28-2018), bravesnumberone (03-29-2018), DirkPiggler (03-28-2018), jpx7 (03-28-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Sadly Wren was never given the chance at a rebuild on either end of his tenure here. Oh well. Luckily it looks like the people responsible for all these shenanigans are gone and AA has complete control of the team. Hoping that's the case anyways.
    I feel like people are looking at the prospects coppy brought and saying how much better they are than Wrens. But they don't factor in the assets Coppy had to make it happen.

Wren was tasked with winning games, and he did a damn good job of it while leaving a team with a massive amount of young Major league talent (that Coppy got to trade away for a million pitching prospects)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-28-2018), DirkPiggler (03-28-2018), jpx7 (03-28-2018), Tapate50 (03-28-2018)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I feel like people are looking at the prospects coppy brought and saying how much better they are than Wrens. But they don't factor in the assets Coppy had to make it happen.

Wren was tasked with winning games, and he did a damn good job of it while leaving a team with a massive amount of young Major league talent (that Coppy got to trade away for a million pitching prospects)
    Good point here. However, as I stated earlier, the main "stain" for me is when he signed Melvin Upton to that contract. He should have never offered that to him. Which in turn hurt our return on the Kimbrel trade.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    JS and Cox are still hanging around and thus we will forever want to bring back the 90’s
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    JS and Cox are still hanging around and thus we will forever want to bring back the 90’s
    I think JS' influence in the organization isn't near as strong as it was when Wren was GM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    Good point here. However, as I stated earlier, the main "stain" for me is when he signed Melvin Upton to that contract. He should have never offered that to him. Which in turn hurt our return on the Kimbrel trade.
    Melvin was a quality CF when he was brought to Atlanta. Sadly he just sucked beyond belief when he was here. But Melvin being attached to Kimbrel falls squarely on Hart and company.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Melvin was a quality CF when he was brought to Atlanta. Sadly he just sucked beyond belief when he was here. But Melvin being attached to Kimbrel falls squarely on Hart and company.
    He might have been a decent defensive CF then, but couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

This is an outrageous assessment of the wren tenure in my view.

The braves never seriously contended for a title in my opinion and were in objectively bad shape when he was fired due to bad contracts, injury luck with pitchers, limited payroll and a completely depleted system.

He very easily could have liquidated assets as effectively as Coppy did. It’s impossible to know though.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Super (03-28-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Problem with that is, if he were still here, he would have wanted to go for it..again...after a bad year..and we wouldn't have received anything.
    We saw Wren's high draft picks. They stunk. Consistent low-ceiling garbage. He brought in a few good guys in some later rounds. But his drafting was overall atrocious and we had an insane lack of pitching. he could've still built a good farm while being given a good, successful team. but, he didn't. and that's going to kill a team with a middling-payroll.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    This is an outrageous assessment of the wren tenure in my view.

The braves never seriously contended for a title in my opinion and were in objectively bad shape when he was fired due to bad contracts, injury luck with pitchers, limited payroll and a completely depleted system.

He very easily could have liquidated assets as effectively as Coppy did. It’s impossible to know though.
    We definitely weren't ever serious contenders. Most of the players winning games for us during wren's tenure weren't even brought in by him, anyway. he was given a (very?) good base of talent and couldn't build around it at all.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    He might have been a decent defensive CF then, but couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.
    Melvin was coming off a 20/30 season. Had posted wrc+ years of 108, 113, and 107. Was a 3+ war player for 3 straight years in his prime. Saying he was bad prior to coming here is revisionist history.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-28-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Melvin was coming off a 20/30 season. Had posted wrc+ years of 108, 113, and 107. Was a 3+ war player for 3 straight years in his prime. Saying he was bad prior to coming here is revisionist history.
    All true. But the fact remains that wren bid uptown against himself. He over paid for him when no one else was offering that much. But yes. Upton was not a bad player and people were excited about our outfield of upton x2 and Heyward.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    All true. But the fact remains that wren bid uptown against himself. He over paid for him when no one else was offering that much. But yes. Upton was not a bad player and people were excited about our outfield of upton x2 and Heyward.
    He overpaid slightly and I wouldn't have gone the extra year but those are generally minor grievances. If Melvin had continued to be a 3+ WAR player nobody would be complaining and I seriously doubt anyone projected him to fall off that badly either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I’d be inclined to agree.