Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SUNDAY MINORS FINAL 4/22/18: Acuna 3 hits, also 2 rainouts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Gohara threw ~60 pitches again. I expected him to stretch it out to ~80 this start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Gohara threw ~60 pitches again. I expected him to stretch it out to ~80 this start.
    Was there wet conditions? Could explain shortening up his start. Maybe promising Wisler start convinced FO to baby gohara some

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Perfect time to promote acuna imo. Just had a great game and the braves will be facing a bad pitching staff. Let em get up and face some guys he can get off to a good start against

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I wouldn’t mind seeing If Gohara could be our Andrew Miller. He has legit stuff but I wonder if he will ever have the stamina to be a starting pitcher.
    Folty and Newk are going to be high pitch count low inning guys. It would be nice to have TOR quality multi inning reliever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I wouldn’t mind seeing If Gohara could be our Andrew Miller. He has legit stuff but I wonder if he will ever have the stamina to be a starting pitcher.
    Folty and Newk are going to be high pitch count low inning guys. It would be nice to have TOR quality multi inning reliever.
    It's an interesting thought but Goharas ceiling is just way too high to put him in the pen long term. In the minors he was an efficient pitcher that was able to go deeper into games.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-23-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Here comes Joey Bats! Camargo and Flaherty should be scared.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It's an interesting thought but Goharas ceiling is just way too high to put him in the pen long term. In the minors he was an efficient pitcher that was able to go deeper into games.
    Initially you are correct. If Gohard fails as a starter then a move to the pen would be the next step.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Wow look at the movement on this Kyle Wright pitch last night: https://twitter.com/sleaguebaseball/...504777728?s=21
    They use Frisbees instead of baseballs in that league?
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    still wish Wright would get the Ks up. expected him to be pretty dominant right away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    This is extremely silly...

What stamina issues are there? Starters are more valuable then relievers. He hasn't shown he can't be a starter. In fact, he has shown (in limited sample) he can be a real good one.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    even andrew miller got a lot of time as a SP to try and figure it out before his move to the BP. and he never had the numbers anywhere that gohara has. obviously much too early to be discussing a move to the pen for him.

if we decide later in the season to use him like the rays initially used price, i could get on board tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Matt: What are your thoughts on Austin Riley? I’ve always heard the bat speed is an issue with him. Has the scouting report on him changed in any facet?

2:32
    Eric A Longenhagen: Don’t think it’s a bat speed thing, think it’s a load depth thing. He was better at 3B last fall than I expected and I feel better about him playing everyday.
    Ivermectin Man

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (04-23-2018), UNCBlue012 (04-23-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    even andrew miller got a lot of time as a SP to try and figure it out before his move to the BP. and he never had the numbers anywhere that gohara has. obviously much too early to be discussing a move to the pen for him.

if we decide later in the season to use him like the rays initially used price, i could get on board tho.
    Yeah. A completely different situation than just moving him to the pen. Back in the old days when Joe Simpson played young starters would regularly come up as relievers to get their feet wet. If the Braves were in a situation where they were contending and needed a pen upgrade over a starter one I could certainly see Gohard do this at the end of the year. It would get him more MLB exposure and limit his innings.

The most likely situation however is for Sanchez/Wisler/whoever to crap out soon enough with Gohard taking over the 5th spot within a month.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    To me, you just let the performances dictate what's best for the major league club.

Braves don't need to be promoting players just to develop them at this point. Let them push their way up and give them the role that helps the team win ball games.

They aren't going to forget that Gohara has the stuff to start and they can always stretch him out again if someone implodes. Though at this point, you have to wonder whether Soroka might not be the best suited for that fifth spot.

Also, if you really believe in the theory behind Gabe Kapler's mis-managing earlier this year, then you need really talented, good arms in that kind of role.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah. A completely different situation than just moving him to the pen. Back in the old days when Joe Simpson played young starters would regularly come up as relievers to get their feet wet. If the Braves were in a situation where they were contending and needed a pen upgrade over a starter one I could certainly see Gohard do this at the end of the year. It would get him more MLB exposure and limit his innings.

The most likely situation however is for Sanchez/Wisler/whoever to crap out soon enough with Gohard taking over the 5th spot within a month.
    Yes, the fifth starter spot is likely to come open. at this point though, you would wonder objectively whether Soroka might not be the better choice there. Gohara probably has the better bullpen value.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Yes, the fifth starter spot is likely to come open. at this point though, you would wonder objectively whether Soroka might not be the better choice there. Gohara probably has the better bullpen value.
    I think It's Gohards first. Without an injury in ST he's already there. Unless he just completely bombs while rehabbing in AAA he should be up soon enough. He probably does have better pen value though but I see just don't see him going there to make room for Soroka.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Andrew Miller was given ~70 MLB starts with an xFIP around 4.5-5.0 before it was determined he was a BP guy.

Gohara has shown the potential to be much more than Andrew Miller. I think the Braves should let him try to be that for a little while longer.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2018)