Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acuna and batting order position

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Scheff, didnt you want Acuna hitting 4th early in the year.

And Acuna in the 2 hole, with FF/JD behind him is ideal but more AB's if hes leading off and whatnot. Boston hits Mookie leadoff, when they tried hitting Beni leadoff, sometimes getting your best hitters the most AB's is the right move.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Betts is not their best hitter. He has the 4th highest ISO and the highest OBP and BB rate on the team.

He is their ideal lead off hitter...like...literally the definition of best lead off option for them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2019), UNCBlue012 (09-09-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    This debate overall doesn't really matter, at least for now because Snitker told ESPN back during the last Nationals series that he's never moving Acuna from leadoff again as long as he's manager.

Now the front office might end up "nudging" him about that eventually, but we heard for a lot of the offseason about how AA was fine with having Acuna/Donaldson/Freeman as the 1-3 as well. This is a war that I think they're pretty unlikely to fight, until someone can do enough to make them change their mind, and although they're now platooning without Nick, I think sticking with platoon leadoff is a bridge too far for Snitker.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Acuna didn't start as the leadoff hitter this year.

Snit just put him back there eventually because.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Acuna started the year on fire in the 4 spot. Then he slumped, and Snitker moved him to the 1 hole. Acuna then took off because he's a HoF talent that was bound to bust out of his slump, and everyone talked about batting lead off like it was some sort of elixir despite the fact Acuna just had a good stretch in the 4 hole.

Now that Acuna is struggling again the issue isn't his spot in the lineup for some odd reason, even though that was supposedly the issue when he slumped in the 4 hole.

The cause of the winning was due to pitching getting figured out, but folks still tried to tie it to Acuna batting lead off despite the fact the Braves were scoring the same number of runs, or less depending on the arbitrary cut off dates used.

There is literally zero logic being applied here. That lack of any identifiable logic is the issue, not whether Acuna actually bats 1, 2 or 4. The Braves being managed incompetently and winning despite that due to being extremely talented should be concerning to everyone associated with the organization.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2019), UNCBlue012 (09-09-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Acuna started the year on fire in the 4 spot. Then he slumped, and Snitker moved him to the 1 hole. Acuna then took off because he's a HoF talent that was bound to bust out of his slump, and everyone talked about batting lead off like it was some sort of elixir despite the fact Acuna just had a good stretch in the 4 hole.

Now that Acuna is struggling again the issue isn't his spot in the lineup for some odd reason, even though that was supposedly the issue when he slumped in the 4 hole.

The cause of the winning was due to pitching getting figured out, but folks still tried to tie it to Acuna batting lead off despite the fact the Braves were scoring the same number of runs, or less depending on the arbitrary cut off dates used.

There is literally zero logic being applied here. That lack of any identifiable logic is the issue, not whether Acuna actually bats 1, 2 or 4. The Braves being managed incompetently and winning despite that due to being extremely talented should be concerning to everyone associated with the organization.
    I don't think it's lost on AA.

I just think AA does not want to upset the remaining old school establishment in the front office by letting Snitker go in a winning season. Ultimately he has to answer to McGuirk, but JS/Bobby/Hank/Glav are all in the front office still even with diminished roles and they all back Snit.

Best case scenario would be AA convinces Snit to retire early, we clean house of all the anti-analytics coaches like Weiss and we start a fresh. Black may get cut in Colorado. A good opportunity there perhaps.

We're entering the prime of the window and if we have Snit managing it not making any progress or growth it will be a huge waste.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-06-2019), jpx7 (09-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Many managers seem to struggle in this regard. I think more teams should have a bench coach (or a new position) that specializes in in-game strategy. Let the manager handle the locker room and other such things. Or at least find a manager willing to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Acuna didn't start as the leadoff hitter this year.

Snit just put him back there eventually because.
    Yeah but the reason I'm saying this debate doesn't matter is that he told ESPN that he felt stupid and wrong for doing it months later, and as long as he's manager, he's not leaving the leadoff spot again.

It also doesn't really matter as AA said a few times he'd actually have preferred to just go Acuna/Donaldson/Freeman as the top 3 and figure out the rest earlier this year.

For those reasons, this is 1 thing I think Alex chooses to not fight as long as there's not a better full time option for #1. If there ever is, he'll fight it, even if it's just Ozzie improving as a LHH and making it a good idea to swap them.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    This is just a weird picture. Photo? Does Soto have a skin condition?
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    This is just a weird picture. Photo? Does Soto have a skin condition?
    The loss of oil glands causes wrinkles and dry skin in the elderly.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2019), Runnin (09-06-2019), UNCBlue012 (09-09-2019)

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I usually just read... but the irony that some people are calling Acuna a HoF talent now when they had 164847+ page thread denying him like Peter did Jesus. There is a mental aspect to every sport/game that overweight couch goblins or underfed pizza-face keyboard GMs will never understand because they are as athletic as Donald Trump.

TLDR; If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. He will get out of the slump.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield10 View Post
    I usually just read... but the irony that some people are calling Acuna a HoF talent now when they had 164847+ page thread denying him like Peter did Jesus. There is a mental aspect to every sport/game that overweight couch goblins or underfed pizza-face keyboard GMs will never understand because they are as athletic as Donald Trump.

Clown.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    I'll have you people know I have lovely skin.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

I can promise you my baseball playing experience is much more extensive than yours, so drop the "he never played the game" crap. Tell me who signed your paychecks, and then maybe you'll have a case against me. Until then, keep reminiscing about your high school glory days in East PoDunk Academy where you batted 7th for a terrible team.

Fact of the matter is these decisions are made by folks who never played the game at a high level. These nerds make these decisions now because they are smarter than the clowns like you who don't know anything other than a list of cliches.

Further, nobody denied he was a great talent. The only thing folks denied was that he would go 30/30 his rookie year, and that was almost entirely based on the lack of PAs he was going to get. In fact, I stated he was very likely to reach 30/30 in future seasons when given 650+ PAs.

But yes, I agree, Acuna will snap out of this funk...just like he would have in the 4 hole.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-09-2019 at 11:20 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (09-09-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

How dare you!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    I can promise you my baseball playing experience is much more extensive than yours, so drop the "he never played the game" crap. Tell me who signed your paychecks, and then maybe you'll have a case against me. Until then, keep reminiscing about your high school glory days in East PoDunk Academy where you batted 7th for a terrible team.
    LOL! Good grief.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Nice of my stalker to show up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Nice of my stalker to show up
    does that make you my stalker? lol

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-19-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    does that make you my stalker? lol
    If 80%+ of my posts are about you, yes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Anybody who reads my posts knows that isn't true.