Page 43 of 459 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Meme & Quote Thread

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Yes - according to 1938 law We the People determine the wage floor. Not business'
    Do you know why?

By your train of thought,
    Is it the same formula used to determine employee value used by pharmaceutical companies to price drugs?
    Or insurance companies use to value premiums?

Can we see the methodology used to determine "value" ?

Is it necessary to refer to those that disagree with you "stupid" or "clueless"
    Reminds me of a public figure ... wonder who ...
    Hmm... well in that case. Why don't we force businesses to hire a certian amount of people... Since the value means nothing - the government should force them to hire more people. That can really help the unemployment rate!

Hey - why don't we hire people to stand outside and update us on the weather? They don't bring any value, but it's a job, and I can afford to do it. So I should be required to do it. Matter of fact, let's pay that person $21 an hour, bc... I dunno - that's what we came up with!

I'm sorry that you're so clueless about how economics work. It's scary dude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Hmm... well in that case. Why don't we force businesses to hire a certian amount of people... Since the value means nothing - the government should force them to hire more people. That can really help the unemployment rate!
    Actually the government does incentivize business' to hire more people. I think the auto bailout would be an example. Or maybe tax breaks to lure business' into states. We could go on all day. Or say when a natural disaster hits the government allots monies to hire people to maybe stand outside and watch the weather. Tell me, once said business takes the governments monies in tax breaks, shouldn't they be obliged to use that money towrd the public good? Or do you see it alright for them to skrimp and save in the name of profit ?

Hey - why don't we hire people to stand outside and update us on the weather? They don't bring any value, but it's a job, and I can afford to do it. So I should be required to do it. Matter of fact, let's pay that person $21 an hour, bc... I dunno - that's what we came up with!

I'm sorry that you're so clueless about how economics work. It's scary dude.
    I will take the last two paragraphs to mean you have nothing to say

Arguments in favour of a minimum wage mostly hang on the idea that firms have a responsibility to ensure that their workers earn enough to live on. If a firm can't pay its workers enough to live on, then it isn't a viable business, because it is dependent on wage subsidies.

or, clueless or stupid --
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    You're advocating businesses paying more for employees than they are worth.

That is not business. That is charity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and let's look at this from another angle, ok?

According to the article below it is estimated that 42-58% of people on food stamps are working. My guess, minimum wage range.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...od-assistance/

By raising the minimum wage we adress working poor on food stamps and the costs.
    By lowering the tax rates on the business' they maintain a proportionate profit while spreading some of that profit around

Senator Sanders says $15 an hour. Gary Johnson says $0.00 (correct?) Trumpon any given day might go from $ 0-10-15-25 :)

Do you have numbers on the savings that will come from an increased minimum wage?

For conversation sake using Sanders $15/ hour figure
    Suppose there is a shop with 10 workers. 5 highly trained ($20 an hour range) 3 mid range ($12-15 per hour) and 2 laborers ($7.50-10 / hour)
    That would equate to a cost increase of $7/hour or roughly $280 per week = $15,000 per year.
    Take for granted there would be accompanying tax breaks involved , That is the th negotiation

Every speaker I have heard has stressed that this is not to punish small business' and taking that idea to the next level there would have to be something in it for the business to agree.

Thus we get a wage floor.
    That suits everyone

--------------------

I maintain that a business that can't afford to pay their workers a living wage is a drain on the economy and how did you say, relying charity.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-02-2016 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and this

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...-wage-big-mac/

The above plus a chunk of the $3500 an hour the Wendy's CEO makes (not to mention other board members) and this is do-able.

Let's suppose the Wendy's CEO is making $500 / hour (or at bump over $1M per year) . That alone would cover the increase of 400 minimum wage earners.

The money is there
    unless of course the minimum wage discussion from the right is not really about minimum wage but regulation as a whole.
    Repealing the New Deal
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-02-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts

For conversation sake using Sanders $15/ hour figure
    Suppose there is a shop with 10 workers. 5 highly trained ($20 an hour range) 3 mid range ($12-15 per hour) and 2 laborers ($7.50-10 / hour)
    That would equate to a cost increase of $7/hour or roughly $280 per week = $15,000 per year.

So you're not going to increase the wages of the highly trained and mid-range? If they are 3 times as valuable today... why wouldn't they be 3 times as valuable after the low skill workers get their charity hike?

Let's look at Walmart for example... they employ somehting like 2.2M people. Let's say 1.9M of those makes $9 an hour.

Let's say they average 28 hours per week.

You're now asking walmart to increase their labor cost by $3.2B a year. You don't think that will hurt them? You don't think they will close stores? Cut labor? Replace with automation? Raise prices?

What does Walmart get out of this deal? Nothing... It's not like their employees become 67% more productive.

The fact of the matter is... these minimum wage workers are completely expendable because they don't offer any skills that can't be replaced in one day. That's why they don't provide as much value as you're demanding they get paid.

And by the way - Walmart could afford this... but almost nobody else could. You think small business are hurt from companies walmart? Wait til the government gets done with them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The higher end workers raise will come in the tax relief from not having to subsidize the lower paid workers.
    Agreed it wouldn't be proportional but what says it has to ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The higher end workers raise will come in the tax relief from not having to subsidize the lower paid workers.
    Agreed it wouldn't be proportional but what says it has to ?
    Because we're not communist and the their skills would dictate a higher wage.

Again - economics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    which brings us back to the arbitrary calculation of "value"
    What you've described is union practice 101
    Where the unions/business' have prescribed wage floors accompanying each task.
    as one goes up the others do proportionately.
    Through collective bargaining

When did you become a "union man" ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-02-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    thank you weso1!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (08-02-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    One of those stunts worked like a charm. You think the DNC baited Trump with that Gold Star Muslim family?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    That's not true, defamation is not covered under the first amendment. NOt saying he's wrong because Trump has less understanding of the Constitution than I did as a 13 year old, but memes like this only show that the first Amendment still isn't understood.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    If mininum wage goes up, I want mine increased as well. If I have to sit through schooling paying for it and what not and have a burger flipper who dropped out, no GED that is over half what I make an hour get a pay hike, I deserve that as well.

But if that happens, our small business will go out of business when they pay all the skilled, college educated workers the same pay increase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    wait until you learn that college tuition will soon be free and no more student debt
    kids now a days don't even have to walk uphill to school in the snow
    and do you know what else??
    they don't teach bunting in baseball anymore
    get offa my lawn

gotta love the 21st century

I heard the same ignorant crap when society decided to move on and have integrated rest rooms and water fountains.
    There are mixed racial couple now too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    You do know teachers make a little over 15 an hour, so they have to get an increase as well, which will increase our taxes a lot. They need the same rate increase as the minimum wage 16 yr olds they have to actually teach.

If they raise it, everyone's pay is increase, more taxes to pay for teachers, police and fire department, small businesses going out of business while the oligarchies sweep them up. They don't care about the increase, it is better for them taking out the small business and entrepreneurship is going out of business for good. Lot of boarded up buildings in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    wait until you learn that college tuition will soon be free and no more student debt
    kids now a days don't even have to walk uphill to school in the snow
    and do you know what else??
    they don't teach bunting in baseball anymore
    get offa my lawn

gotta love the 21st century
    Who is going to pay for it? Me at my wage almost barely doubles a 16 yr old flipping burgers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The millineal generation is a such a joke because they've been given everything their entire life and expect everything given to them. I suppose it's our parents fault for raising us this way... gotta make sure everyone gets a trophy.

Meanwhile - this is our future:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    You do know teachers make a little over 15 an hour, so they have to get an increase as well, which will increase our taxes a lot. They need the same rate increase as the minimum wage 16 yr olds they have to actually teach.

If they raise it, everyone's pay is increase, more taxes to pay for teachers, police and fire department, small businesses going out of business while the oligarchies sweep them up. They don't care about the increase, it is better for them taking out the small business and entrepreneurship is going out of business for good. Lot of boarded up buildings in the future.
    yep

wow, a roadblock -- a problem that will need a solution
    as opposed to " business as usual" a solution in search of a problem

I'm sure the Ryan led House of Representatives will find a way
    once they finish re litigating Benghazi