Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What IS "Fair Value" That Would Entice Miami To Trade Realmuto Within The Division?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Would we be paying McCann or would he be paying us? Hey, I love the guy, but his .640 OPS in 216 PAs this past year doesn't do that much for me.

I think that anything that might be lost in Realmuto's pitch framing would be more than made up by his hitting. That said, I think it's a longshot he ends up in Atlanta.
    I love McCann, but given the choice between the two I would bring back Suzuki for another season. The Flowers/Suzuki combo has given us 5.0 WAR in 2017 and 3.2 this year.

When you find a productive veteran player like Suzuki (and Anibal Sanchez I might add) who is willing to re-up on a one-year deal, that preserves a lot of financial flexibility and limits risks.

In the case of Grandal it is the risk in the fifth year, which I suspect he will get. In the case of Reamulto, we are going to give up 2 very good prospects for two years of an excellent catcher. But we should ask how much of an upgrade over Flowers/Suzuki would he give us.

There are other ways to deploy the financial flexibility we have next year. One is to go for a deeper bench (sign someone like Escobar for example in addition to acquiring a corner outfielder). We're seeing first hand with the Dodgers how useful that deep bench is. The other is to hold some powder dry for moves at the deadline. AA did a great job at the deadline on a limited budget. I want him to be a bit less restricted at the deadline next year.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-05-2018), jpx7 (10-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I wonder what wilson ramos would cost to share time with flowers
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-05-2018), jpx7 (10-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I wonder what wilson ramos would cost to share time with flowers
    I would think Ramos's deal would be comparable to Grandal's.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I would think Ramos's deal would be comparable to Grandal's.
    I doubt that. Ramos is 2 years older and has been a good bit less reliable. I think he'll be a good bit cheaper with less years.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Fair value is more than what other team will give up and at no point should we bid against ourselves if we have the top bid. I think they could/should be partial to Kyle Wright because he pitched at Florida. I would offer Wright, Gohara, Allard, and a filler prospect like Ruiz. And no, I dont care what Mlb.com or any other site ranks a prospect.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Fair value is more than what other team will give up and at no point should we bid against ourselves if we have the top bid. I think they could/should be partial to Kyle Wright because he pitched at Florida. I would offer Wright, Gohara, Allard, and a filler prospect like Ruiz. And no, I dont care what Mlb.com or any other site ranks a prospect.
    Wright went to Vandy.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Well my bad, could have sworn he pitched for Florida. Must have him confused with someone else.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I love McCann, but given the choice between the two I would bring back Suzuki for another season. The Flowers/Suzuki combo has given us 5.0 WAR in 2017 and 3.2 this year.

When you find a productive veteran player like Suzuki (and Anibal Sanchez I might add) who is willing to re-up on a one-year deal, that preserves a lot of financial flexibility and limits risks.

In the case of Grandal it is the risk in the fifth year, which I suspect he will get. In the case of Reamulto, we are going to give up 2 very good prospects for two years of an excellent catcher. But we should ask how much of an upgrade over Flowers/Suzuki would he give us.

There are other ways to deploy the financial flexibility we have next year. One is to go for a deeper bench (sign someone like Escobar for example in addition to acquiring a corner outfielder). We're seeing first hand with the Dodgers how useful that deep bench is. The other is to hold some powder dry for moves at the deadline. AA did a great job at the deadline on a limited budget. I want him to be a bit less restricted at the deadline next year.
    Cosign. I think catcher is similar to running back in the NFL, there are just very few who are worth significant resources to be a full time player. I'll take the productive platoon that gives their bodies a break every time.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-05-2018), jpx7 (10-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

I too would be more comfortable with Zuk. I do think Mac has plenty left as a part time catcher, but he'd probably do best on an AL team. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays have some interest.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I like Realmuto, but I would probably not be willing to give up enough of our prospects to get him. Based on the moves we made this year, I kinda think AA feels that way too. I especially don't want to give up any of our high upside prospects.

I know Gohara has issues, but this time last year he was the top pitching prospect on many of our lists. I'm not trading him while his value is down.

Soroka might have a bum shoulder. His upside is also too great, not moving him.

Pache and Waters, no way.

I love that we got a little value out of Sims and Wisler. Might have gotten a little more a year or two earlier, but at least we kept them long enough to make sure. I pretty much want to do that with all our prospects.

A package of Allard and Fried is about the best I'd be willing to do for anyone. Maybe for Degrom I'd throw in Wright or Wilson. I understand that won't do it. In hindsight anything that did not include Acuna for Yelich would have been a good deal, but I just hate to give up prospects.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eyeman For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    I like Realmuto, but I would probably not be willing to give up enough of our prospects to get him. Based on the moves we made this year, I kinda think AA feels that way too. I especially don't want to give up any of our high upside prospects.

I know Gohara has issues, but this time last year he was the top pitching prospect on many of our lists. I'm not trading him while his value is down.

Soroka might have a bum shoulder. His upside is also too great, not moving him.

Pache and Waters, no way.

I love that we got a little value out of Sims and Wisler. Might have gotten a little more a year or two earlier, but at least we kept them long enough to make sure. I pretty much want to do that with all our prospects.

A package of Allard and Fried is about the best I'd be willing to do for anyone. Maybe for Degrom I'd throw in Wright or Wilson. I understand that won't do it. In hindsight anything that did not include Acuna for Yelich would have been a good deal, but I just hate to give up prospects.
    yeah...I share you view on trading Gohara and Soroka when their value is down

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    yeah...I share you view on trading Gohara and Soroka when their value is down
    Depends on what they get, I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    At this point I’m ready to trade for Realmuto lol

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    It's not so much the money for a Grandal signing (for me) is as big an issue as what it locks you into. I want no part of a Harper/Machado level signing, and I think most of the numbers-inclined crowd would agree with that. From a fan standpoint, I'd love it, but it's just not that good an idea. Maybe Contreras never turns into what I think he's got a chance to be, and that's fine. If he's anywhere close, you make a QO to Realmuto in two years - if he accepts make him an OF for a year, if he passes take the high pick and be happy.

Realmuto just fits our timeline better than anyone else out there. I'd just as soon not pay Grandal ~ $20 million per to be a part-time guy for two years if Contreras is what I think he is. I'd also just as soon not tie up the money it's going to take (especially if you have to build player options into the deal) to play on the Harper/Machado level and then have to try to figure out what to do with Riley/Camargo/Ender/Pache/Waters - if you sign one of those guys, there's a legitimate chance you have to give someone away since you won't have room for everybody.

As unfortunate as some feel that scenario is, AA's going to have to rely on our scouts' "eye-test" at some point, and at this point there's little reason to expect that moving Johan to the OF, handing 3B to Riley, and adding Realmuto for the next two years isn't a better idea to make us a legitimate contender than tying up $100+ million in any free-agent that's available IMO.

Im just not a fan of dealing prospects. Unless its the lower level type, and draft money like we did for Gausman and Bach and Venters. With bats like AJ Pollock, Josh Donaldson, you can figure out the rest. I like the production weve gotten from Tyler and Suzuki at C. I dont see a point in resigning Flowers just to make him an expensive backup if we get JT.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Wonder if we could reaquire Simba and include Dansby in the deal ? Thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I think any potential offseason moves require establishing who your "off-limits" prospects/young players are - and at this point they're entirely different than they were 12 months ago. For me, those are...

Acuna
    Albies
    Camargo
    Dansby (edgy, sure - and I understand the reasons behind moving him if you were going to sign Machado and the signing was contingent on him playing SS - I just don't want to tie $300 million up in ANYBODY)
    Folty
    Soroka
    Touki
    Wright
    Anderson
    Riley
    Pache
    Contreras

and maybe Waters

AA has the financial flexibility this winter to add whomever he deems necessary to fill any holes he needs to if he holds onto that group IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc03004 View Post
    Wonder if we could reaquire Simba and include Dansby in the deal ? Thoughts ?
    It you look at WAR by position, SS was our weak link with Swanson at 1.9 fWAR. There is a certain logic to looking to upgrade there. Otoh Swanson is young and cheap and still has upside. I'd be patient. That's the appropriate theme this off-season. Be patient. Don't do anything stupid trying to accelerate the rebuild. Improve the team with boring, cost effective moves that don't carry any risks in terms of shortening the window of contention.

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-06-2018)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Any chance the Giants would be interested in dealing Posey/Bumgarner?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Posey is no longer an elite hitter. He's Joe Mauer now, except he can still play catcher.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Posey is no longer an elite hitter. He's Joe Mauer now, except he can still play catcher.
    Was thinking that taking Posey and his contract on would lessen the prospects that would head to SF in order to secure Bumgarner as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    Was thinking that taking Posey and his contract on would lessen the prospects that would head to SF in order to secure Bumgarner as well
    Bumgarner has been a 4 FIP pitcher the last 2 years and is a free agent after 2019

"I am your retribution."