Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: AA's Failure

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Our pen has pitched 62.2 innings. It has a 5.17 ERA, a 5.42 FIP, and a -0.5 WAR.

The worst part? There aren't any reinforcements on the horizon. O'Day isn't anywhere close and there's a fair chance he's never going to be healthy this year. It's still too early to send a lot of our young starters to the pen and there's a good chance there will be an adjustment period of we do.

And AA is pretty much dead set on not getting Kimbrel.

We really have very few options. The pen will be an albatross around our neck until teams start being willing to trade in June. Even then it's unlikely AA actually gets any impact piece for the pen as he's not interested in the FA impact arm out there now!
    BRinging in Kimbrel doesn't just magically solve all the Bullpen issues.

FWIW I'm pro-bringing Kimbrel on. But not at the cost of the 2nd round pick and draft money allocation. Perhaps at this point Boston would consider a sign and trade.We send them someone we don't need, they send us Kimbrel. And I'm sure AA is considering these types of things but he cannot talk about them as it's effectively a form of collusion if they have the framework for such a deal worked out before Kimbrel re-signs with boston.

I want Kimbrel back, I'm sure AA does too, but this isn't a simple cost of money for Kimbrel, there's a huge futures loss for the Braves as they lose a very important draft pick.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-18-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    That's the way the Braves were last year too. Braves are a team built on a lot of risk. That's the case. If the risk fails the Braves are a .500 team. If the risk pays off the Braves are 90+win team. The truth usually winds up somewhere in the middle.
    Oh I agree. I think we could have reduced some of that risk this offseason. But we were going to have risk. I am on record as to saying the rotation didn’t need addressing this offseason. We have to survive this stretch of health and hopefully get back to winning like we did last year. I still worry about neck and to an extent Josh. I am a believer in Dans and Ender hopefully will see more bench time in favor of Johan. Not saying benching him completely. But more than just against lefties only.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Kimbrel is not solving our pen issues. We made our bed and now have to lye in it. After the draft we should get him. But he is not the answer to our pen right now. We have to fix or replace a lot of guys and that should be top priority versus just getting CK.
    Coppy

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Signing Kimbrel can not hurt the pen.

The pen has already cost us at least 4 games. Our stubbornness to address that weakness will end up costing us in the end. Times running out

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-18-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    As constructed. Yes. Rotation has to get healthy and we are still depending on rookies to be key. The offense has questions for me. Can Dans stay productive. Can Donaldson stay healthy and be productive. What to do with ender. How long will neck play well. So yes. A lot of questions for me
    Keep asking your questions even though the answers are already there.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Signing Kimbrel can not hurt the pen.

The pen has already cost us at least 4 games. Our stubbornness to address that weakness will end up costing us in the end. Times running out
    Which 4 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    He should have done a few more things, but there has been some pretty bad luck also. Minter car wreck, Sobotka was probably thought to be a strong piece and he is falling apart, Viz out for the year, Venters getting absolutely torched after winning comeback player of the year. Biddle??

I mean, you can say he should have done more...which he should have. You have to agree this is the worst case scenario and even if we would have added a few guys...it would still be a mess. Kimbrel coming in with no preseason is likely to get touched up for a while also.

If Luke Jackson is the anchor of the bullpen...one or two additions wouldn’t have made that much of a difference (which most would have been completely happy with). At this point, an addition or two might have made a one game difference.
    The situation with our pen is worst case scenario. But that's why you ensure you have pen depth. AA should have expected at least one of Sobotka, Venters, and Biddle to struggle. Relievers are unstable commodities and these guys aren't exactly rock solid.

In addition to that, you should just assume one reliever is always going to be lost to injury before the end of April. If the pen has a bunch of injury risks (like we do), you need to assume you're going to lose two.

AA should have acquired 2 or 3 relievers in the offseason. The worst case scenario we're enduring now would mean the pen would still be weak but it wouldn't be the gaping wound it is now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    BRinging in Kimbrel doesn't just magically solve all the Bullpen issues.

FWIW I'm pro-bringing Kimbrel on. But not at the cost of the 2nd round pick and draft money allocation. Perhaps at this point Boston would consider a sign and trade.We send them someone we don't need, they send us Kimbrel. And I'm sure AA is considering these types of things but he cannot talk about them as it's effectively a form of collusion if they have the framework for such a deal worked out before Kimbrel re-signs with boston.

I want Kimbrel back, I'm sure AA does too, but this isn't a simple cost of money for Kimbrel, there's a huge futures loss for the Braves as they lose a very important draft pick.
    Kimbrel wouldn't magically solve our issues but he would help. It would probably take our pen from complete disaster to just bad.

I get the cost of signing Kimbrel. But what's worth more, the draft pick and bonus pool money or a year of a competitive window? I'm going with the window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Kimbrel wouldn't magically solve our issues but he would help. It would probably take our pen from complete disaster to just bad.

I get the cost of signing Kimbrel. But what's worth more, the draft pick and bonus pool money or a year of a competitive window? I'm going with the window.
    The issue is that the draft pick and bonus pool money is directly tied to our window and possibly extending it. But we're at the point where Kimbrel is becoming more of a necessity.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The issue is that the draft pick and bonus pool money is directly tied to our window and possibly extending it. But we're at the point where Kimbrel is becoming more of a necessity.
    I personally dont think it's a big deal. Our window is open as long as acuna is here

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (04-18-2019), Jaw (04-18-2019)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

The problem is you have to balance both. THe Braves could address the pen with small moves to improve the pen as well.

Also worth considering, the Braves have returned close to the same pen with some injuries.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    How much is it really though? Should we really expect that pick and bonus pool money to be worth more than the value Kimbrel could provide us over the next 2-3 years? I don't. Now, I understand the argument of waiting till June, but I don't see it as particularly likely that CK is still a FA in June. I don't think AA should expect to have his cake and eat it too. Bite the bullet and sign CKm and quit worrying about getting "good value." 3/50 is completely doable and doesn't really hamstring us over that time either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    How much is it really though? Should we really expect that pick and bonus pool money to be worth more than the value Kimbrel could provide us over the next 2-3 years? I don't. Now, I understand the argument of waiting till June, but I don't see it as particularly likely that CK is still a FA in June. I don't think AA should expect to have his cake and eat it too. Bite the bullet and sign CKm and quit worrying about getting "good value." 3/50 is completely doable and doesn't really hamstring us over that time either.
    If that bonus allows us to take two high-end players with our first two picks, that it's surely possible.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-18-2019), jpx7 (04-18-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    If that bonus allows us to take two high-end players with our first two picks, that it's surely possible.
    We should be getting 2 high end players regardless. May be we can't go over slot with both picks, but we should still be getting 2 pretty good talents regardless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Sooooooooooooo
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    This aged well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    This aged well...
    thought i'd give it a bump before it disappears for all eternity into the ether
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    thought i'd give it a bump before it disappears for all eternity into the ether
    I think it probably will find its way into the all time hall of shame
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Never forget

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-05-2019), Tapate50 (07-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    RIP to this show of our ignorance