Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Draft Position

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I don't like tanking either but the rules are what they are. Never in the history of baseball has talent acquisition been more slanted to those teams with the worst records. Literally ever mechanism out there from First Year Player Draft, International spending pool, rule 5, waivers, etc.

Finishing middle of the pack is just baseball purgatory, not good enough to truly compete, not bad enough to have a chance to rebuild. Your choices are to either rebuild, with the resultant race to the bottom of the standings, OR spend big in effort to buy your way out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (07-29-2015)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I feel like we are way worse than a bunch of those teams.
    MANAGER OF THE YEAR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I don't like tanking either but the rules are what they are. Never in the history of baseball has talent acquisition been more slanted to those teams with the worst records. Literally ever mechanism out there from First Year Player Draft, International spending pool, rule 5, waivers, etc.

Finishing middle of the pack is just baseball purgatory, not good enough to truly compete, not bad enough to have a chance to rebuild. Your choices are to either rebuild, with the resultant race to the bottom of the standings, OR spend big in effort to buy your way out.
    Baseball may be a little different than basketball considering that baseball does not have a salary cap, but when Hawks fans were screaming tank last year, I was a lone wolf telling them that it is easier to go from good to great than it is to go from bad to great. Tanking rarely works in basketball.

I don't believe it is all that different in baseball considering the nature of the baseball draft.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Agreed.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Agreed.
    I think the most important aspect is having the protected pick. Then you can go after a big name free agent who comes with a qualifying offer. That becomes null if the acquisition is traded before the current season is over since they would be ineligible to receive a QO. Off the top of my head it would help us go after guys like: Zimmerman, Grienke, Price (if he isn't dealt and that is still a possibility) Upton (again always a chance he isn't dealt), Heyward, Howie Kendrick (possible QO??) Ian Desmond (could he be an option at 3B/Lf), Gallardo, Shark
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Baseball may be a little different than basketball considering that baseball does not have a salary cap, but when Hawks fans were screaming tank last year, I was a lone wolf telling them that it is easier to go from good to great than it is to go from bad to great. Tanking rarely works in basketball.

I don't believe it is all that different in baseball considering the nature of the baseball draft.
    Also the post-season is different in baseball. An inferior team has a better chance of winning a short series or two or three.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post

I just don't agree. The Braves, even when they won the division a couple of years ago have been a hugely flawed team. Unless the payroll was going to suddenly shoot up, they weren't going to buy out of those flaws. And the nature of FA means that players come and go and with the Braves finances it means they most often go when they get good.

The Braves have generally been bad enough not to be realistically able to win anything based on band aide team building and good enough not to be first in line to get a shot at the best (and generally closest) talent.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    there isn't a bryce harper level prospect out there, but it's very early.

We have big holes in LF, C, and 3B. If we make a big trade we may open up a hole in the SP staff. BP I think we can cobble together. The only way I see to be the contending team in 2017 they mention is to bring in at least 2 draft pick attached FA. In that case, being in the bottom 10 helps a lot.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    there isn't a bryce harper level prospect out there, but it's very early.

We have big holes in LF, C, and 3B. If we make a big trade we may open up a hole in the SP staff. BP I think we can cobble together. The only way I see to be the contending team in 2017 they mention is to bring in at least 2 draft pick attached FA. In that case, being in the bottom 10 helps a lot.
    If they traded a SP for a bat or two, i'd imagine they'd sign a veteran there.

This is one of the most loaded SP FA markets in some time, and there's plenty of money to sign one. Only 50 mil or so to players next year. Gotta use the money somewhere.

Even if they didnt, worst case scenario would be Julio, Miller, (i think Wood is shopped for a bat), Perez, Wisler, Manny.

If our pick is protected, it makes too much sense to sign a FA with a QO since we could keep the pick.
    Last edited by Heyward; 07-26-2015 at 01:52 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If they traded a SP for a bat or two, i'd imagine they'd sign a veteran there.

This is one of the most loaded SP FA markets in some time, and there's plenty of money to sign one. Only 50 mil or so to players next year. Gotta use the money somewhere.

Even if they didnt, worst case scenario would be Julio, Miller, (i think Wood is shopped for a bat), Perez, Wisler, Manny.

If our pick is protected, it makes too much sense to sign a FA with a QO since we could keep the pick.
    That's my thought. 2 big FA.

1 bat. 1 pitcher. Maybe even target a second level guy like fister as your number 1 priority and get them for a little less money and years.
    Extend Miller or Wood. Trade the other for a BIG return. Get a bat in return.

Just don't see 2017 being a legit plan unless we go big this offseason.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    That's my thought. 2 big FA.

1 bat. 1 pitcher. Maybe even target a second level guy like fister as your number 1 priority and get them for a little less money and years.
    Extend Miller or Wood. Trade the other for a BIG return. Get a bat in return.

Just don't see 2017 being a legit plan unless we go big this offseason.
    I dont know if they'd be WS contenders in 2017 but they should probably be WC contenders at worst by then.

They've stocked up enough arms to patch together a bullpen, and a rotation. The lineup is the biggest concern, but there's money/assets to add some bats in the next 2 years. Young bats on the farm as well.

Depends what the FO does this year.

I think the plan is to try and trade for a bat, whether that happens is another story.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Back to 11th, maybe 12th if Arz/SD lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I'm afraid this team plays baseball too well.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Depends who else gets dealt.

But im afraid too and the SP is too good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Too strong a core for the punt to work fully. Doubt we'll have a protected pick.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Just too well enough to be non-competitive but shoot its draft-status in the foot.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Pads win.

Arz up 3-0, if they win, we stay at 10th i believe.

Although unfortunately i think our pitching is too strong to stay top 10.
    Last edited by Heyward; 07-26-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Need to trade jj and AJ. Need to shut down man ban and wisler late.

Gm can manipulate this if he wants.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Need to trade jj and AJ. Need to shut down man ban and wisler late.

Gm can manipulate this if he wants.
    Man Ban has a few starts left, hes on an innings limit.

Im not sure with Wisler, but Perez should be back by then.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Yea all this win did today was worsen our draft position from 9th to 11th. If the D/Backs win we'd be 10th. At this point it's best for us to lose, because the only thing a win does now is to hurt our draft position. Sucks to root for your team to lose.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-26-2015)