Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S FINAL 8/2 ... Gohara, Wilson Deliver

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Can he not? I don't know why, but I can't stand Sabathia. lol

That being said, he's had a very solid career, so I realistically cannot complain if that happened!
    I'm not a CC fan, but not really talking about the dude, just the ability :) Although, Gohara has been much better than CC in the minors ever since he found his control

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (08-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Man... Wilson, Wentz, Anderson is a nice trio to follow behind Gohara, Soroka, and Allard... then on top of that you have the trio of guys with sky high potential, just with question marks (Touki, Fried, Wiegel). Then on top of that, Wright could be the best of the bunch.

Surely there's an ace in there somewhere with a solid #2 and a couple solid 3's

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-03-2017)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Man... Wilson, Wentz, Anderson is a nice trio to follow behind Gohara, Soroka, and Allard... then on top of that you have the trio of guys with sky high potential, just with question marks (Touki, Fried, Wiegel). Then on top of that, Wright could be the best of the bunch.

Surely there's an ace in there somewhere with a solid #2 and a couple solid 3's
    There's no surety, but I like the odds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Acuna, Soroka and Gohara will be the big callups in 2018.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Acuna, Soroka and Gohara will be the big callups in 2018.
    Not sure why I think this but I think both Allard/Soroka will get full seasons at AAA next year.

Gohara seems like it really clicked with him and the Bravse sniped him at the perfect time. I could see him being in the rotation come May of 2018.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    The only thing about Gohara is that he has 98.3 innings thus far on the year and its by far his largest load as a pro. With his past conditioning and injury issues, I think we should be a bit more careful with him and let him build up his strength a bit more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Not sure why I think this but I think both Allard/Soroka will get full seasons at AAA next year.

Gohara seems like it really clicked with him and the Bravse sniped him at the perfect time. I could see him being in the rotation come May of 2018.
    Soroka continues to be underrated around here. He is our best pitching prospect imo.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Soroka is underrated by pretty much everyone outside of Braves fans, IMO, because he isn't putting up flashy K numbers as a 19-year old in AA. Every other number is big though: BB rate, ERA, FIP, xFIP, GB%, HR rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Soroka continues to be underrated around here. He is our best pitching prospect imo.
    My comment was not meant to be a disparaging remark to Soroka.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think Soroka is certainly up there at the top of our pitching prospects, but I think any one person can believe he, Gohara, or Wright are our best at this point. I could see Allard as well, though that's entirely on scouting and potential at that point.

Soroka's 'issue,' at least in comparison with Gohara and what we think Wright is, is his lack of a big-time K rate. Obviously being 19 in AA makes that difficult, but he didn't have a great one in Rome, either. That doesn't matter nearly as much with his control, which is why I would even consider him up there with Gohara, but it is something to note. Regardless, though, the fact that we have 3-4 pitching prospects at that level where we can even debate that a guy like Gohara or Soroka or the #5 pick in the draft isn't clearly our top prospect is pretty awesome.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    He's easily #1 for me... Gohara is #2, Wright 3, and Allard 4... I don't know how Allard could be ahead of Gohara or Soroka.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The only thing about Gohara is that he has 98.3 innings thus far on the year and its by far his largest load as a pro. With his past conditioning and injury issues, I think we should be a bit more careful with him and let him build up his strength a bit more.
    This is why Dickey's option will be picked up - buys you innings during the first half of next season so you don't have to rely on Wisler or Blair at any point. They'll probably try to bring back Albers and/or Medlen on minor league deals just-in-case.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think Soroka is certainly up there at the top of our pitching prospects, but I think any one person can believe he, Gohara, or Wright are our best at this point. I could see Allard as well, though that's entirely on scouting and potential at that point.

Soroka's 'issue,' at least in comparison with Gohara and what we think Wright is, is his lack of a big-time K rate. Obviously being 19 in AA makes that difficult, but he didn't have a great one in Rome, either. That doesn't matter nearly as much with his control, which is why I would even consider him up there with Gohara, but it is something to note. Regardless, though, the fact that we have 3-4 pitching prospects at that level where we can even debate that a guy like Gohara or Soroka or the #5 pick in the draft isn't clearly our top prospect is pretty awesome.
    my main issue with the the young guys is they are young. Dr. Andrews talks about UCLs not being fully formed until 25. I would prefer not to count on 20 y/o for a full season of innings.

If they deal Tehran then maybe go with the 6 man rotation to limit the innings.

Those guys are sooo young.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Can he not? I don't know why, but I can't stand Sabathia. lol

That being said, he's had a very solid career, so I realistically cannot complain if that happened!
    I would take a borderline HOFer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

Would have to think they would get atleast a spot start or two with Atlanta depending injuries and doubleheaders. We could theoretically call them up for a start in the morning and send them back down that night after they start to only use up 1 day of service time. If they pitch so well that we can't justify sending them back down then that's a good problem to have.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    That's a good point. Maybe we could bring him up mid season as a reliever to limit his innings and give him a chance to get some ML experience hopefully leading to a rotation spot in 2019. It is important that we keep Gohara motivated and I think dangling that call up carrot in front of him would so that. He might get complacent from a full season at AAA.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 08-03-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    my main issue with the the young guys is they are young. Dr. Andrews talks about UCLs not being fully formed until 25. I would prefer not to count on 20 y/o for a full season of innings.

If they deal Tehran then maybe go with the 6 man rotation to limit the innings.

Those guys are sooo young.
    Very good point. And the Braves have been relatively safe with several of the young pitchers in innings and rest, so you would assume they feel similarly. I wonder if their plan is in fact to go with a larger rotation once some of these guys are ready. It would be pretty revolutionary, but if we have several pitchers we like and none that stand out that particularly need to be pitching every 5 days, it could work.