Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dat Dude

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Dat Dude

Shaping up to be a really interesting decision on him. One year with a team option for him could conceivably be the best option at this point. If you don't want to invest in Moustakas or Frazier, he doesn't really get in anybody's way if you bring him back - like Markakis when Acuna's ready, you just DFA him in hopes someone will take some of the money if/when Rio and or Riley forces the issue. He'd certainly be the least expensive and shortest-term option over there, and we probably wouldn't face much competition for his services (especially if you started talking to his reps now).

In the event you didn't cut the vets loose or trade anyone this winter, an Adams, Phillips, Markakis set of bench bats wouldn't be so bad during the second half next year when the youth movement goes into high gear.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    He's repeatedly told reporters to stop asking questions about 3B move. So sounds like he's really not thrilled about doing this long term.
    Forever Fredi

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Phillips is making $14M this year

He's on pace for a nearly 2 WIN season.

He won't sign for anything less than $8-$10M

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-23-2017), JohnAdcox (08-23-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

I agree.. I don't think he is back next year. I predict a Johan/Rio platoon.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I agree.. I don't think he is back next year. I predict a Johan/Rio platoon.
    And nothing wrong with that. Even if he would play 3rd...he very well wouldn't replicate the year he has had next year. Let the young guys play and see what we have.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Which was the point - if you're not interested in committing to Moustakas or Frazier for 3, 4, or even 5 years, suddenly one year at $8-$10 million with a team option for Phillips is arguably more attractive than taking on Prado's contract (even if you could get him for nothing) since Martin's 2019 money is guaranteed.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    He's repeatedly told reporters to stop asking questions about 3B move. So sounds like he's really not thrilled about doing this long term.
    This, plus what is real upside to bringing back an aging second basemen with no long term future for the team to play 3B for a season?

If Brandon Phillips weren't currently on the Braves and performing the role currently would anyone want to go out and sign him to a free agent to play 3B? I doubt it.

I think the Braves got a fine season out of Phillips at very little cost and should feel good about that. But time to move on unless he wants to sign a ridiculously team friendly team to compete for a utility role.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'm all for letting Ruiz/Camargo battle it out for 3B.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-23-2017)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

I'm good with that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-23-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Does he think teams will beating down his door this offseason? I don't see it.

He could do well at 3B, at least he has so far.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

I think he'll get less than 8M guaranteed.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Which is really the only reason I think we'd have any interest in bringing him back.

If your "veteran acquisitions" this winter were Phillips at ~ $8-ish million and a Lynn or Cobb for 3/$36 million as opposed to Dickey, Garcia and Colon for $32 million last winter you'd be in a much better position to eat money to move Markakis, Dickey, and even Phillips when Acuna, the arms, and Ruiz/Riley inevitably step in late next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Me too, and I don't think it will be that close to 8/yr. and he will end up playing anywhere the manager says go.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    A bit off-the-wall, but I wonder if Coppy could interest Texas in a Sims for Profar deal while Lucas is hot at this level?

They chose not to promote him yet again when they put Gallo on the DL (although I'm sure playing him at 1B is a bit of a waste - would make more sense to promote Ronald Guzman), and he's out of options following this season so they're going to have to do something. The Willie Calhoun acquisition likely means they aren't moving him to the OF, so they're pretty much going to have to deal him at this point IMO. He'd likely put up comparable numbers to Phillips at 3B for even less money, and with 3.124 years of service-time he could conceivably be that bridge to Riley or even Maitan.

Back a Sims/Profar deal up with a Lynn signing this winter, and maybe you still take a little step forward with a bit of a bounce back from Julio and Folty without having to ask for too much too soon from Newcomb/Fried/Gohara.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    While BP has been real good I still want to give Camargo a full year shot. He's earned more of a look.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    While BP has been real good I still want to give Camargo a full year shot. He's earned more of a look.
    With his defense rebounding Phillips has played exactly like most projected. The main issues are the Braves will no longer be paying him peanuts next year if he were to return and I doubt he wants to continue to play 3B.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    A bit off-the-wall, but I wonder if Coppy could interest Texas in a Sims for Profar deal while Lucas is hot at this level?

They chose not to promote him yet again when they put Gallo on the DL (although I'm sure playing him at 1B is a bit of a waste - would make more sense to promote Ronald Guzman), and he's out of options following this season so they're going to have to do something. The Willie Calhoun acquisition likely means they aren't moving him to the OF, so they're pretty much going to have to deal him at this point IMO. He'd likely put up comparable numbers to Phillips at 3B for even less money, and with 3.124 years of service-time he could conceivably be that bridge to Riley or even Maitan.

Back a Sims/Profar deal up with a Lynn signing this winter, and maybe you still take a little step forward with a bit of a bounce back from Julio and Folty without having to ask for too much too soon from Newcomb/Fried/Gohara.
    I don't think Sims for Profar works for us. I read in several chats that writers that profar has no value.

I don't like Dat Dude either....he's going to cost money.

What would be the projected WAR of a Ruiz/Adonis straight platoon? Adonis can hit LH pitching. I still think Ruiz could hit RH pretty well. To me that is the baseline.

I think FF showed that playing him at 3B is an option. An entire offseason to work on the position and improve his fluidity of movement might be ok. You could then move Kemp to 1B. Play 2/3 of Kemp, Neck, Adams and have the other guy as a good PH option while opening up for Acuna.

I still think the Braves are going to make a monster deal in the offseason. But looking at spending 10 Million plus on a guy I'd have to know how much better that is than the Ruiz/Adonis platoon or the FF at 3B and Kemp at 1B in house options. Moose's low OBP and likely long deal really worry me now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I'm not sure the braves are going to seriously consider moving freeman to 3b. It's an interesting discussion but don't think it's realistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    With his defense rebounding Phillips has played exactly like most projected. The main issues are the Braves will no longer be paying him peanuts next year if he were to return and I doubt he wants to continue to play 3B.
    I don't think it makes sense just play Camargo there and absorb verlanders salary.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't think it makes sense just play Camargo there and absorb verlanders salary.
    Verlander is as big a pipe dream as Stanton. Both have no-trade protection - surely none of you that keep tossing those names around really believe they'd waive it to come here during a rebuild.

Verlander to the Dodgers would make sense. Verlander to the Yankees would make sense. Verlander to the Cubs would make sense.

Verlander to the Braves makes no sense - to Verlander.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-24-2017 at 09:01 AM.