Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WEDNESDAY MINORS FINAL 8/23: Del Rosario gets day started right; Danville wins in 11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That's only part of the equation. We are once again burning service time for a guy who we could wait on.
    I doubt seriously minter holds up long enough to worry about service time

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Is the 40 man roster really that big of a deal. If we have a guy on our 40 man (especially our 25 man) that can not make it on to our 25 man next year, then we should consider DFA'ing them now. We are one of the the worst teams in baseball. If you can't play for us, who would want you.

That is the position that guys like Motte, Blair, Wisler, Krol are in. No one but no one is going to rule 5 them and put them on their 25 for the whole year....did I say no one.

The 40 man for a rebuilding team should be reserved for your up and comers like Minter, Gohara, Fried, etc.
    Well I think Kroll will be non tendered this offseason if not DFA'd this season and Motte is a free agent but I agree we have no 4 man roster issue. We have about 15 guys on our 40 man roster that are probably not going to be here next year, with 3 or 4 that need protection.

The 40 man roster is not an issue whatsoever.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    That's only part of the equation. We are once again burning service time for a guy who we could wait on.

Service time on a reliever?

Also, there is nothing to say he begins the 2018 season on the major league roster just because he gets a September call up.

Honestly, I've heard about enough about service time and surplus value for a lifetime. If any team used them the way some of you thought was plainly self evident, there would be no such thing as September call ups or roster expansion. It's not nearly as important as you think.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I'm not discounting the potential 40 man issue entirely, but every article I've read on it hasn't really lead me to believe that there is all that much of an actual logjam at the moment.

I'm curious just what sort of players you think we are in danger of losing. It seems like the biggest by far group of potential casualties are relievers like Brothers, Motte, Rivero, Krol, Burgos, Lindgren, Biddle, Blair, Wisler, Cabrera, Hursh, Winkler or position players like A. Garcia, Jace Peterson, Micah Johnson, D. Santana, Lane Adams.

I'm not sure I see the danger here.
    Lindgren,Winkler, and maybe Biddle are the only ones of that bunch who I see back next year

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Service time on a reliever?

Also, there is nothing to say he begins the 2018 season on the major league roster just because he gets a September call up.

Honestly, I've heard about enough about service time and surplus value for a lifetime. If any team used them the way some of you thought was plainly self evident, there would be no such thing as September call ups or roster expansion. It's not nearly as important as you think.
    But what is he contributing to this season? I think that's the biggest point here. The point of contention is that we are not in contention. Why waste any resource angle if that is the case?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    But what is he contributing to this season? I think that's the biggest point here. The point of contention is that we are not in contention. Why waste any resource angle if that is the case?
    Why have September call ups at all?

The rationale that I am getting around here is that unless you are contending it is always stupid to call up a prospect until after the Super Two deadline and honestly that's still stupid because you aren't contending and you shouldn't call up anyone to waste service time unless you are doing it for a contending season.

That's just not how it actually works. No one does it that way for plenty of reasons that exist outside "optimum" strategies.

It's like the dumb closer debate. You should use your closer in the most dangerous positions. Fine, sure. No one actually does that, because there are considerations beyond what is "optimum."

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Since stuff is so scattershop on the board right, this may have already been posted ... Fried going to AAA, going back into rotation to build up innings.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-24-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Since stuff is so scattershop on the board right, this may have already been posted ... Fried going to AAA, going back into rotation to build up innings.
    that is pretty confusing reason given, but that's fine.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Why have September call ups at all?

The rationale that I am getting around here is that unless you are contending it is always stupid to call up a prospect until after the Super Two deadline and honestly that's still stupid because you aren't contending and you shouldn't call up anyone to waste service time unless you are doing it for a contending season.

That's just not how it actually works. No one does it that way for plenty of reasons that exist outside "optimum" strategies.

It's like the dumb closer debate. You should use your closer in the most dangerous positions. Fine, sure. No one actually does that, because there are considerations beyond what is "optimum."
    Good point for a non-contending team. Teams should try to figure out what they currently have on the roster before moving ahead.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Lindgren,Winkler, and maybe Biddle are the only ones of that bunch who I see back next year
    Really??? Who are you projecting they promote or keep? Don't leave a post that outrageous halfway done.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Is the 40 man roster really that big of a deal. If we have a guy on our 40 man (especially our 25 man) that can not make it on to our 25 man next year, then we should consider DFA'ing them now. We are one of the the worst teams in baseball. If you can't play for us, who would want you.

That is the position that guys like Motte, Blair, Wisler, Krol are in. No one but no one is going to rule 5 them and put them on their 25 for the whole year....did I say no one.

The 40 man for a rebuilding team should be reserved for your up and comers like Minter, Gohara, Fried, etc.
    The thing with guys like Wisler and Blair if that in order to be removed from the 40-man roster, they would first be waived and any team in baseball could claim them and they wouldn't have to be on the 25-man roster for all of next year. I'm not saying that the Braves can't live without Blair or Wisler, but only guys who are unclaimed and outrighted to Gwinnett would face the Rule 5 draft.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Really??? Who are you projecting they promote or keep? Don't leave a post that outrageous halfway done.
    The only 4 I'd project in the pen are Ramirez, Minter, Lindgren, and Winkler if healthy. We might be stuck with JJ. I don't see us keeping guys like Akeel, Freeman or Jackson who will be out of options. I don't think we care about guys like Hursh, Wisler, or Blair. They'll be trimmed like Gant Whalen, and Ellis were last year. We should also have Watts and Clouse at AAA next year ready to step in at some point.

I think we want super utility guys but Jace, Santana, and Micah are not it. We'll find another guy in the offseason (Profar) and hope TD can prove enough in AAA next year to take that Camargo like leap forward.

I think we're in for some major roster reshuffling of the fringe guys this offseason. I just think we're going to try and get players we actually need UT, 4th OF, and backup catcher instead of guys like Alex Jackson to create roster flexibility.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The thing with guys like Wisler and Blair if that in order to be removed from the 40-man roster, they would first be waived and any team in baseball could claim them and they wouldn't have to be on the 25-man roster for all of next year. I'm not saying that the Braves can't live without Blair or Wisler, but only guys who are unclaimed and outrighted to Gwinnett would face the Rule 5 draft.

Personally, I think the Braves should trade Wisler and Blair for whatever they can get. Somewhere out there maybe someone might still want to give them a shot.

However, it doesn't seem to me that they are necessarily the most obvious candidates to suffer in any sort of 40 man crunch.

Seems to me Adonis Garcia is probably gone. Jace Peterson is probably gone. D. Santana is probably gone.

Any arbitration eligible or soon to be free agent reliever who hasn't performed is likely gone. I'd guess any reliever on the 40 man who isn't likely to make the 25 man is probably a candidate to be gone. A guy like Burgos is either gonna get a look or be released, I think.

I think the 40 man problem maybe gets worse in years to come, but I'm just not feeling a problem right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    The only 4 I'd project in the pen are Ramirez, Minter, Lindgren, and Winkler if healthy. We might be stuck with JJ. I don't see us keeping guys like Akeel, Freeman or Jackson who will be out of options. I don't think we care about guys like Hursh, Wisler, or Blair. They'll be trimmed like Gant Whalen, and Ellis were last year. We should also have Watts and Clouse at AAA next year ready to step in at some point.

I think we want super utility guys but Jace, Santana, and Micah are not it. We'll find another guy in the offseason (Profar) and hope TD can prove enough in AAA next year to take that Camargo like leap forward.

I think we're in for some major roster reshuffling of the fringe guys this offseason. I just think we're going to try and get players we actually need UT, 4th OF, and backup catcher instead of guys like Alex Jackson to create roster flexibility.
    I really wish they had traded Jim Johnson at the deadline when he was closer to his better performance. Just to shed salary if nothing else. That said, it is not unlikely that he may find himself again next spring. He seems to perform better in the first half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Rio 1-1, 2b

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Maitan with a homer. Good to see

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    If Morris isn't in our BP plans next season then I'm not sure I want to watch.
    Ivermectin Man

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Acuna 2-5 with 2 more SB....
    Our lineup next season has the potential to be really good if Swanson and Albies continue to show signs of life imo..
    Even with the typical rookie struggles for Acuna and regression from our catching duo.
    I don't know where we would get any solid pitching but we could run out a contending lineup everyday atleast lol

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Braves went slightly over the $100,000 slot value to sign 16th rounder Gary Schwartz and he's had a pretty nice little season in Danville. College guy, so it's not that much of a surprise that he's doing well in a rookie league, but he probably assumes a role in the Rome OF next season. I guess we'll get a better read on him once he's in a full-season league.

Encarnacion continues his good work after the promotion as well.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-24-2017)