Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotation '16

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I would love to keep Teheran personally, but a good deal would change it. That being said, even though he SHOULD (I think he's better than Miller personally), he won't get as much right now.
    Agree. Imagine if he's back to himself at the deadline and the dodgers are fighting for a spot....

Maybe they give up Urias and a position prospect in aa plus take markakis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'd trade Teheran only if we got back a middle of the order type of young hitter. Soler fits that description. I wouldn't mind somebody like Meadows from Pittsburg, he's a young stud cf'er will pop. Fister and Latos would be ideal on a 1 year deal to build some value. As far as Folty goes, he has to be given the 5th spot all year to sink or swim.

Agree

Folty has to start all yr. last shot. If he can't do it then him and viz are power arms in pen for 17

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Agree. Imagine if he's back to himself at the deadline and the dodgers are fighting for a spot....

Maybe they give up Urias and a position prospect in aa plus take markakis.
    Urias and Barnes, maybe? I'll fly Julio (one of my top guys... again) to Los Angeles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    here is my take.. if Braves are looking to add another vet pitcher, then I think Julio will be traded. The FO smells blood and are now circling..

But I seriously doubt they cast Perez and Weber to the side in a non competitive year. I think they are going to fire sale one last time at the deadline, so might as well build value where you can. I think the Pen will be Viz/Withrow/JJ/Grilli/Winkler/Krol/(folty/manBan) to start then Simmons may join in June.. Burawa and Marksberry will be in AAA... Cunniff and McKrappy will be cut.
    Then let Julio or FA starter/ Norris/Wisler have top 3 spots.. ManBan/Folty/Weber/Perez battle for the last two spots. honestly think ManBan goes to pen this year to make sure his arm is good... then one of Weber or Perez goes to AAA to build whatever value he can.

here are our notable pitchers..
    STARTERS..............................pen
    Norris............................................Viz
    Julio...............................................Simmons
    Wisler............................................Withrow
    Perez..............................................Grilli
    Folty..............................................Winkler
    Weber.............................................JJ
    ManBan...........................................Krol
    .................................................. ....(Folty/Man/Ban)

AAA
    Jason Hursh
    Blair
    Sims
    Newcomb
    Jenkins

AA
    Steve Janas
    Ellis
    John Gant
    Andrew Thurman
    Zach Bird

AA and below
    Seth Webster
    Brandon Barker
    Yean Carlos Gil
    Max Povse
    Rob Whalen
    Matt Bywater
    Touki
    Ricardo Sanchez
    Caleb Beech
    Allard
    Luis Gamez
    Mike soroka
    Wes Parson
    matt Withrow
    Patrick Weigel
    Josh Graham
    Ryan Lawlor
    Fried?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-09-2015), JohnAdcox (12-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Fried?
    Fried I think starts at aa. We all think he's at least two yrs in minors before thinking about mlb right?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I'd trade Teheran only if we got back a middle of the order type of young hitter. Soler fits that description. I wouldn't mind somebody like Meadows from Pittsburg, he's a young stud cf'er will pop. Fister and Latos would be ideal on a 1 year deal to build some value. As far as Folty goes, he has to be given the 5th spot all year to sink or swim.

completely agree on Folty and I like Fister to bounce back.. if we trade Julio, I would want Fister to get a deal.. then promptly traded at the deadline for a nice return..

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Fried?
    WOW!!! I can't believe I forgot him. good catch. AA IMO..

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think the Braves could also make a trade where they take on a contract to get talent back. Something like Garza and Phillips from the Brewers for Jenkins and CB would be what I would explore. The Brewers want Garza gone, (he's owed $12.5M for 16 and 17 with a vesting option/club option at $13M for 18) and they have a ton of outfielders already and could part with Phillips. However, that trade would probably require the Braves to move Markakis' money.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    IF I could do the Brewers trade that I outlined above (or something similar), and trade Markakis, then I would sign Latos as well for a year with an option and either trade Teheran now if I could get something good enough or look to trade one or all of Teheran, Garza, Latos, Norris at the deadline.

My opening day rotation would be: Teheran (if still here), Latos, Norris, Garza, Wisler

If Teheran is gone then: Latos, Norris, Garza, Wisler, ManBan or Perez

AAA: Blair, Newcomb, Sims, Folty, ManBan/Perez

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Another veteran might be added, but I would be happy enough to stand pat with Teheran, Wisler, Norris, Newcomb, and Perez/Blair.

Anyone remember Ellis? But AAA would likely be ManBan, Sims, Folty, Gant, and Blair/Jenkins.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I think the Braves could also make a trade where they take on a contract to get talent back. Something like Garza and Phillips from the Brewers for Jenkins and CB would be what I would explore. The Brewers want Garza gone, (he's owed $12.5M for 16 and 17 with a vesting option/club option at $13M for 18) and they have a ton of outfielders already and could part with Phillips. However, that trade would probably require the Braves to move Markakis' money.
    You keep bringing up Garza, but the guy is a total headcase and a terrible clubhouse presence. I think they threw a parade in the Twins' office when they unloaded him.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Another veteran might be added, but I would be happy enough to stand pat with Teheran, Wisler, Norris, Newcomb, and Perez/Blair.

Anyone remember Ellis? But AAA would likely be ManBan, Sims, Folty, Gant, and Blair/Jenkins.

ManBan out of options so rotation/pen/ or dealt..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I would like to see the Braves sign Latos and go with

Teheran
    Latos
    Norris
    Wisler
    Blair/Perez/Folty/Jenkins/ManBan

I also agree this is the make or break year for Folty. He either shows he can be a starter, or he is moved to the BP.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Teheran
    Wisler
    Norris
    Free agent/Trade
    Folty/Jenkins/ManBan/Perez

I would start the year with the above rotation. I would really like the Free agent/Trade starter to be left handed, and i'm not sold on Minor....eventually by the end of the year, you should have Newcomb/Jenkins/Ellis/etc. fighting for a rotation spot

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    WOW!!! I can't believe I forgot him. good catch. AA IMO..
    Considering he has thrown 124 innings at low A, he will probably start in low or high A with a 75-100 inning limit. If all goes well he could be in AA the next year with a 150-175 inning limit. After that he should be ready for AAA/MLB depending on needs of the club and his performance.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You keep bringing up Garza, but the guy is a total headcase and a terrible clubhouse presence. I think they threw a parade in the Twins' office when they unloaded him.
    That's the whole point. I don't WANT him. I want Phillips and I would be willing to take the headcase and his money to get him since 2016 is a wash anyway.

I think everyone focuses in on having a guy that does things the right way. But, I think it can be equally effective, if handled correctly by management, to have a guy who does things the wrong way as an example for young players of what not to do.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    That's the whole point. I don't WANT him. I want Phillips and I would be willing to take the headcase and his money to get him since 2016 is a wash anyway.

I think everyone focuses in on having a guy that does things the right way. But, I think it can be equally effective, if handled correctly by management, to have a guy who does things the wrong way as an example for young players of what not to do.
    The Brewers are going young and building with top young talent. They're not going to trade an elite prospect in Phillips to clear Garza

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    The Brewers are going young and building with top young talent. They're not going to trade an elite prospect in Phillips to clear Garza
    Agreed. He was the main piece in selling Gomez, so it doesn't make sense to basically trade Gomez just so you can then dump Garza.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Just listened to John Hart radio interview and he talked about adding a FA SP. Here's how I'd paraphrase what he said . . . They're considering a value starter on a one year deal that could gravitate back to the bullpen when one of the young guys is ready. So, they're aiming pretty low in other words.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Just listened to John Hart radio interview and he talked about adding a FA SP. Here's how I'd paraphrase what he said . . . They're considering a value starter on a one year deal that could gravitate back to the bullpen when one of the young guys is ready. So, they're aiming pretty low in other words.
    Sounds like a Bartolo Colon type starter.....the food bill for the clubhouse managers could be getting ready to reach new heights