Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Braves 'interested' in Cespedes

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I've been tooting the Cespedes horn for a couple months now (and several people wanted to ridicule the idea - just as I said that we'd be targeting Inciarte in any Miller deal that involved Arizona), and still don't see where there's ANY downside...

1.) Doesn't cost you a pick (quite possibly the most important point).
    2.) Freeman protection.
    3.) Likely willing to accept less (years AND dollars) than Justin.
    4.) Has a lot in common with Olivera - would certainly help with his transition.
    5.) Better defensively than J-Up.

This is one of those odd situations where you take the steps necessary to expand the budget/get creative with the accounting/even consider including an opt-out. The market has COMPLETELY crashed on J-Up, Cespedes, Fowler, and whichever one of Desmond or Alexei Ramirez doesn't sign with the Padres soon. There's only ONE player left that's going to get a $100 million contract, and that's Chris Davis - if he doesn't wise up soon, he may not even get one.

This has become the "perfect storm". You call his representatives and tell them you're offering 5 years and $90 million with an opt-out after 2017 and that the offer expires in one hour. If he opts-out two years from now, who cares??? He'll have to play INCREDIBLY WELL for the next two seasons to think there's any chance he'll do better than $18 million per as a 33 year old looking for a job with all the players that are going to potentially be part of the 2018 free-agent class. You have $29 million coming off the books following this season (Bourn and Swisher) - that means that you're technically ONLY looking for $7 million total to cover his salary through 2017. You don't NEED to give Markakis away to come up with $7 million - you don't even need to trade him. That's HALF the amount the budget was increased to go get Ervin Santana when Medlen and Beachy blew out.

This is EXACTLY the time you make a move like this. If you decide to trade Inciarte because you like Smith better, you can do that when Mallex proves he's ready - not before. JMO, but I'd MUCH RATHER spend a little money on Cespedes than trade Inciarte and or Teheran for players with as many questions as Soler and Baez have. Make Mallex your 4th OF until Markakis' deal is off the books and slide Inciarte over to RF at that point. Cespedes, Inciarte, Markakis, Smith, and Teheran is worlds better than Soler, Baez, and $18 million per no matter how you want to break it down.
    I agree 100%, but only if he comes at a bargain price like that. I think the same type of move would work for JUp, but it seems like the FO is unwilling to give up a draft pick for anyone. This type of move makes so much sense, and is much preferable to trading Teheran away for someone like Springer or Soler, and opening another long term hole in the rotation as a result.

I've been saying a move like such as this has become more likely for the Braves ever since Gordon and Heyward signed for so little (compared to projections).

Move Olivera back to 3B, and suddenly the position players line up something like:

C - Flowers/AJ
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Peterson/Beckham
    3B - Olivera/KJ/Garcia
    SS - Aybar
    LF - Cespedes
    CF - Inciarte
    RF - Markakis

It's not a killer offense, but it is worlds better than last year. If some of the young pitchers take a step forward they could be a .500 team as early as this year.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-13-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I agree 100%, but only if he comes at a bargain price like that. I think the same type of move would work for JUp, but it seems like the FO is unwilling to give up a draft pick for anyone. This type of move makes so much sense, and is much preferable to trading Teheran away for someone like Springer or Soler, and opening another long term hole in the rotation as a result.

I've been saying a move like such as this has become more likely for the Braves ever since Gordon and Heyward signed for so little (compared to projections).

Move Olivera back to 3B, and suddenly the position players line up something like:

C - Flowers/AJ
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Peterson/Beckham
    3B - Olivera/KJ/Garcia
    SS - Aybar
    LF - Cespedes
    CF - Inciarte
    RF - Markakis

It's not a killer offense, but it is worlds better than last year. If some of the young pitchers take a step forward they could be a .500 team as early as this year.
    I'd love to get him at this kind of deal, it makes a ton of sense. I'm really wary, though, on how it would affect our international spending next period. The money for those bonuses has to come from somewhere. Yeah, they won't all pan out, but it's interesting to think about where the balance point is between Cespedes' value with us and those prospects' value. Just a consideration we'll have to keep in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Rosenthal: Reported in Sept. that #Braves liked Cespedes - but that was before they put Olivera in LF. Would need to trade OFer to make it happen now.

Rosenthal: Yes, #Braves could trade Inciarte - if they believed Cespedes could play CF. They then could move a corner OFer later, once Smith was ready.

There's a surprising amount of conversation about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I would much rather have Upton, especially if we are talking about Cespedes in CF.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-14-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Meh. Reggie Sanders all over again. Nice complimentary player, but not exactly someone to build around and despite the suckage of next year's free agent crop, I just don't think Yoenis will be worth the money unless it is signficantly lower than market value.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I'd rather have JUp (they seem to want to keep the pick though) if they were to splurge on someone but depends on years, he'll be 31 next year.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I watched Cespedes a lot when he was with Oakland. He had some big hits and some even bigger throws, but I really can't see his body holding up well in his 30s (in LF/RF, let alone CF).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I would rather have Inciarte in center, Cespedes in LF, and Markakis in RF....you have the flexibility for that to happen....

Inciarte has been in the big leagues, had success, and 5 years of control left. That is not someone I am remotely interested in trading unless it brings back Arenado (which won't happen).

Inciarte
    Aybar
    Freeman
    Cespedes
    Flowers
    Markakis
    Olivera
    Peterson
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I watched Cespedes a lot when he was with Oakland. He had some big hits and some even bigger throws, but I really can't see his body holding up well in his 30s (in LF/RF, let alone CF).
    I mean i agree but the FA market is ass next winter, its either this or trade away something for a bat.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Lol this place..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

mossy (01-14-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I would rather have Inciarte in center, Cespedes in LF, and Markakis in RF....you have the flexibility for that to happen....

Inciarte has been in the big leagues, had success, and 5 years of control left. That is not someone I am remotely interested in trading unless it brings back Arenado (which won't happen).

Inciarte
    Aybar
    Freeman
    Cespedes
    Flowers
    Markakis
    Olivera
    Peterson
    If Markakis with his career .360 OBP and no platoon split hits 6th while guys like Inciarte (.330), Aybar (.315) and Flowers (.290) hit above him in your lineups....you are worse than Fredi.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Yes. And I am interested in KUp.

Assuming JVer doesn't become a problem.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    If Markakis with his career .360 OBP and no platoon split hits 6th while guys like Inciarte (.330), Aybar (.315) and Flowers (.290) hit above him in your lineups....you are worse than Fredi.
    Yeah, I'm not Neck's biggest fan, but I give the guy a full credit for what he can do, and right now he still has the ability to get on base. He ain't chopped liver, and he's a better hitter than anyone in the lineup not named Freddie or (maybe) Yoenis.

I'm not a huge Cespedes fan. If we could get him in a discount, maybe…

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    on MLB trade rumors, Bowman suggest we'd have to clear payroll to make a move for Cespedes or Jup... how do we not have the payroll flexibility to sign both? muchless one of them.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnedstang View Post
    on MLB trade rumors, Bowman suggest we'd have to clear payroll to make a move for Cespedes or Jup... how do we not have the payroll flexibility to sign both? muchless one of them.....
    we obviously deal with cheap a-holes.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnedstang View Post

The next time Bowman is able to predict potential moves when projecting budget concerns is involved will be the FIRST time he's ever done so.

Again, if you land Cespedes (or J-Up) NOW for an AAV of around $18 million per, you could pay him whatever number you have available to spend in 2016 and offset the difference by paying him the rest next season to make the total for 2016-2017 $36 million. If that's $30 million, who cares??? You have $39.5 million coming off the books in Bourn, Swisher, Aybar, and Norris next year that you're going to replace with Mallex Smith, and at least one SP making the league minimum.

It's simply a matter of adjusting how you allocate the money accounting-wise...you're not actually "spending" more money over the life of his contract - at least not before the payroll goes up in 2017.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-13-2016 at 07:40 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I don't think they could stay within budget without trading Nick. I am on board with this, but I think they are looking to get him at less than 20 million a year. I think they are hoping to get something closer to 15..
    The contract can be back loaded a little to lower his 2016 salary.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Markakis and Inciarte is actually a very nice 1-2. And Freddie is a nice 3.

After that it gets a little sketchy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    I would be looking to sign one for five-six years. 1-3 is fairly useless to us.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-13-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    This feels like a "let's make the fans think we're trying" type of rumors leaked from the FO