Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fredi fired

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Thinking about it. Have the Braves fired or dismissed a manager since Russ Nixon? FG has lost the team. Don't think it had as much to do with wins and losses. How could DOB and company not know this if true. Is Cunningham DOB's back over there? He's a Hawks' guy. How the AJC has fallen. I'm an old white guy but damn I can remember picking up that paper most every day just to read box scores. It was a lot quicker than waiting for all that crap to download. Someone tell Frenchy they even used to publish OBP pre 1990.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I'm not against the move. I'm against anything that suggests 99% of the onus for this team's performance was not the fault of the front office.

I'm not fooled, and I hope nobody else is, either.
    I think the Front Office would likely agree. They might not care to admit it, but this is what the plan was all along. You don't give away all your talent for prospects and then actually believe the tale you're telling about being a solid team. I think the plan all along was to get a new manager on board after this year and the level to which we've sucked just made this the move.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    How do u square that with Snitker leaving Aybar out of tonights lineup.
    Yeah, that's interesting. Maybe Aybar actually is going to get a come-to-Jesus meeting and, possibly an invitation to hit the bricks.

Run a veteran out of town. It's the Bobby Valentine way. I say that with tongue firmly in cheek, by the way.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I'm not against the move. I'm against anything that suggests 99% of the onus for this team's performance was not the fault of the front office.

I'm not fooled, and I hope nobody else is, either.
    I think we need to differentiate between the quality of the product and the quality of the play. The front office clearly bears the onus of the collection of players, but I still chafe (not so badly thanks to Gold Bond) that the team is just playing stupid baseball and going through the motions. Fredi has to take some heat for that. Firing heat? Who knows, but I don't want a bunch of young players mimicking veterans who are satisfied to collect a check.

The whole AJ thing reminds me of when the Twins recycled a bunch of guys at the end of their careers so they could reach milestones. The problem is that a player can become a millstone while seeking a milestone. I don't hate AJ like a lot of folks on here and I think his bad teammate stuff is way overrated. But he's reached the end. I just hope that in appreciation for the chance the Braves have given him he will return the favor and wear a Braves' uniform when he's inducted into the Hall of Fame.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-17-2016 at 05:08 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-17-2016), GovClintonTyree (05-17-2016), Mrs. Meta (05-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I wasn't expecting Fredi to be fired today in the middle of this series. I expected him to be fired just after this road trip. So I got the news late not expecting anything. I got a text from my bestfriend this morning stating: "The Braves FINALLY fired Fredi!! Hopefully, they won't be looking for Fredi Junior and we might see a relatively competent manager. Of course, Fredi set the bar so low that anything would be an improvement."

I'd pretty much echo what my friend text to me, esp. the FINALLY part of it. I would've fired him a good while ago personally. I guess they're going to wait on deciding a real replacement as the Brian Snitker move just screams temporary till they can do interviews after the season.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I wasn't expecting Fredi to be fired today in the middle of this series. I expected him to be fired just after this road trip. So I got the news late not expecting anything. I got a text from my bestfriend this morning stating: "The Braves FINALLY fired Fredi!! Hopefully, they won't be looking for Fredi Junior and we might see a relatively competent manager. Of course, Fredi set the bar so low that anything would be an improvement."

I'd pretty much echo what my friend text to me, esp. the FINALLY part of it. I would've fired him a good while ago personally. I guess they're going to wait on deciding a real replacement as the Brian Snitker move just screams temporary till they can do interviews after the season.
    I think a strong case can be made that Fredi and Wren should have been fired at the same time at the end of the 2014 season.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-17-2016), bravesnumberone (05-18-2016), DirkPiggler (05-17-2016), Mrs. Meta (05-17-2016), TXBravesFan (05-17-2016), USMA76 (05-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    So who's taking over at Gwinnett?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think a strong case can be made that Fredi and Wren should have been fired at the same time at the end of the 2014 season.
    Certainly, a strong case can be made for sooner too.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So who's taking over at Gwinnett?
    Bobby.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (05-17-2016), The Chosen One (05-17-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    regarding AJ.. throw out catching the pitcher or throwing out runners or calling a game... AJ cost us 2 games in the first week by not handling easy throws.
    And was also the guy behind the plate putting his fingers down when Folty, Perez, and Wisler were tossing gems - what's your point?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Certainly, a strong case can be made for sooner too.
    I think the epic September collapse in 2011 should have warranted a closer look the Fredi and the uneven play since could have been reason enough to seal his fate. He has led a charmed life of sorts. My only argument is that after 2014 when it became apparent that there was going to be a rebuild, they should have rethought the "Braves' Way" angle a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, that's interesting. Maybe Aybar actually is going to get a come-to-Jesus meeting and, possibly an invitation to hit the bricks.

Run a veteran out of town. It's the Bobby Valentine way. I say that with tongue firmly in cheek, by the way.
    My concern is that if they let Aybar go they will feel the need to accompany that decision with a splashy callup.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (05-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Well didn't they use Wren's attempt to fire Fredi as part of the case for getting rid of Wren. Small group politics does not get any more interesting than in the Braves FO.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (05-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The thing about Bobby is how he handled the club house. He was a player's coach, but he also knew how to discipline his players. His players also knew that he had their backs. IMO, I don't think the players ever really felt like Fredi had their backs. Too often, Fredi seemed to be oblivious to what was going on. IMO, he never really had a finger on the pulse of the team.

Bobby also won with different types of team. He won with older players. He won with younger players. He won with teams that were aggressive on the base paths with hit and run type situations, and he has won with teams that sit back and wait on the three run homer. We really were spoiled to have a guy who I feel may be the best baseball manager of all time for so many years.
    100% and that's why he lost the team on a number of occasions. In fact I can't remember a time when I ever saw Fredi interacting with any of the players on the team.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Coppy and Hart are out of their minds!!!! If Fredi was not the guy, fine but that should have been decided this past December. This team is gonna get better??? How exactly???

21. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-17-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And was also the guy behind the plate putting his fingers down when Folty, Perez, and Wisler were tossing gems - what's your point?
    All things equal. Aj directly contributed to two losses. You can't say if flowers put his fingers down the same gem would not have been thrown. But there is more of a chance that flowers catches the two throws. Not that complicated.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-17-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Coppy and Hart are out of their minds!!!! If Fredi was not the guy, fine but that should have been decided this past December. This team is gonna get better??? How exactly???
    I understand there is a lot of emotion in this kind of change. I think it is part of the rebuilding process. It was bound to happen, just a matter of when. Could have been last year, could have been at the end of this season or last season. It would be difficult anyway... but I think the rebuild needed to include this.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    By getting the #1 pick in next years draft.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EstebanBugatti For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-17-2016), Julio3000 (05-17-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Article from AJC including interview with a very candid Fredi and some notable quotes

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/bas...emium-referral

“I don’t think there’s a perfect time to do it,” Gonzalez said of the firing. “I think you do it when they feel like the time is right, so they did it…. I will tell you this, through all this stuff my team played hard. They busted their asses. They had to answer questions that they shouldn’t have to answer about the manager, and per man they all handled it with class and they played their asses off.”
    Cox texted Gonzalez Tuesday morning after the AJC broke the story of his firing. “He texted me, so I called him,” Gonzalez said. “He didn’t know anyting about it…. He felt terrible. He said, ‘I never saw this coming. We’ll talk more when you come home.’”
    “What would have sucked is if you’d dragged it all the way out to the weekend before the season ended, and then got whacked,” he said. “There’s no perfect timing, but in this situation I think sooner than later was better.”

He added, “I think I’ll be OK. I’ve already talked to a bunch of baseball people, they texted me, offering support. Maybe I’ll take a week or two off, a month off, ride the motorcycle around before it gets too hot.”
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstebanBugatti View Post
    By getting the #1 pick in next years draft.
    Thats not what I mean. I mean they are out of minds for that lip service they gave in the dugout. This year was in the crapper and there is no need to act like this was done for the sake of this year. It is disengenuous (sp?) and disheartening.