Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cervelli signs three-year extension with Pittsburgh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think part of the thought process will be that they will want to pair up a veteran catching with a young pitching staff. I could us trading for someone like McCann or Russell Martin. Martin's contract btw gets quite expensive after this season. Which means we could pick him up for very little talent in return.
    Martin is a very good catcher, isn't is struggling offensively this year? Might be a good buy low there if so.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I wouldn't have signed McCann to the deal he got with the Yankees (plus we were strapped), but it just goes to show how valuable a catcher who can hit is. Teams are realizing this and re-upping their guys.

Curious to see if the Nats let Ramos walk. Severino is close to ready, but Ramos can hit some.

Mike Zunino has not hit at the big league level, but he is really ripping up the PCL. 9 HRs and a .937 OPS going into tonight's action. Big-time contact issues.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Martin's contract is backloaded. He will make 20 mil a year the last few seasons. No way I think about Martin unless the Jays send money with him.
    I would target McCann or Lucroy in a trade. Lucroy only has one year of team control left. The package to get him wouldn't be to big IMO. A lot less than what the Braves got for a year of Heyward or Upton. I think attaching a QO to Lucroy would depress his market value enough to make him easy to resign.

I doubt the Orioles give Wieters another QO. He could be a decent option at reasonable price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Martin's contract is backloaded. He will make 20 mil a year the last few seasons. No way I think about Martin unless the Jays send money with him.
    I would target McCann or Lucroy in a trade. Lucroy only has one year of team control left. The package to get him wouldn't be to big IMO. A lot less than what the Braves got for a year of Heyward or Upton. I think attaching a QO to Lucroy would depress his market value enough to make him easy to resign.

I doubt the Orioles give Wieters another QO. He could be a decent option at reasonable price.
    I wasn't saying I would take on all that with Martin, but if they would pay part of it I would consider him. Or better yet include Olivera on our end. :)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He signed for 3/31...

He must love Pittsburgh.
    Why? He's a catcher who'll be 31 next year and quite mediocre. He was not gonna get Russell Martin or Brian McCann money. Odds are he would have been closer to Salty/Ruiz back in 2014 but with the massive inflation we've had, I can see 3/31 being right around his value.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I wouldn't have signed McCann to the deal he got with the Yankees (plus we were strapped), but it just goes to show how valuable a catcher who can hit is. Teams are realizing this and re-upping their guys.

Curious to see if the Nats let Ramos walk. Severino is close to ready, but Ramos can hit some.

Mike Zunino has not hit at the big league level, but he is really ripping up the PCL. 9 HRs and a .937 OPS going into tonight's action. Big-time contact issues.
    I actually love Zunino as a target for us. With the way the Mariners season is currently going, I could see them buying at the deadline if they have a hole. Maybe we could go there as an option.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    I actually love Zunino as a target for us. With the way the Mariners season is currently going, I could see them buying at the deadline if they have a hole. Maybe we could go there as an option.
    That's great and all but what do we have to sell them at equal value? Lol
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I'm hoping the Padres give up on Norris and sell him for cheap.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Looks like Gordo will have some good value for us.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-18-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    That would be a very clever move. He's a very good catcher who got rushed by Zduriencik and lost his confidence and his stroke. K rate is down to 18% from 34%. That's not all because he's in the PCL. And his ISO is almost .300.

The problem might be that Ianetta is the hole, although he's been pretty good so far. The Mariners will eventually need a closer so that Cishek doesn't wreck their season. A nice deal might be Paxton and Zunino for Vizcaino.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-18-2016), The Chosen One (05-18-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Why? He's a catcher who'll be 31 next year and quite mediocre. He was not gonna get Russell Martin or Brian McCann money. Odds are he would have been closer to Salty/Ruiz back in 2014 but with the massive inflation we've had, I can see 3/31 being right around his value.
    Well then you're in the minority when sites like MLBTR had him pegged at a 4/60 deal with a possibility of a 5th year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post

Wieters is quite possibly the worst defensive catcher in the game, especially when it comes to pitch framing. He can't stay healthy and isn't anything special with the bet.

He is one of the very last options the Braves should pursue.

A trade with the Brewers for Lucroy and Braun makes some sense though. I would prefer the Braves add a catcher with more than 1 year of control remaining, but he would undoubtedly fix the position for 2017.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

The Nats are fortunate because they have always loaded up on catchers. Ramos (in trade), Norris, Severino, Reetz, Read
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe