Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 3 New BP Arms

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Braves and Astros are in different states of their windows. Astros are in the midst of their run, Braves window is just opening.

This is like if Houston went all in for a move in 2015.
    Our farm is not nearly as strong because we went after pitching during the rebuild like dumbasses.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Our farm is not nearly as strong because we went after pitching during the rebuild like dumbasses.
    4 of the top 5 prospects from the past 3-4 years are position players.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    4 of the top 5 prospects from the past 3-4 years are position players.
    Ozzie and Ronnie were not from MLB draft. And they were signed before the rebuild.

With the amount of picks and time we spent on pitching we should be getting a better return but we're not.

Not to mention we have been out of the international game since the scandal and will be for a while longer.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Ozzie and Ronnie were not from MLB draft. And they were signed before the rebuild.

With the amount of picks and time we spent on pitching we should be getting a better return but we're not.

Not to mention we have been out of the international game since the scandal and will be for a while longer.
    With the exception of Soroka, and he's not a high pick, our best hope at a homegrown ace from our top picks is Ian Anderson if he's not traded.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

There was no mention of only building thru the draft.

I disagree. Anderson looks like a monster. Muller can too. Wright still has time. These guys are really young.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    There was no mention of only building thru the draft.

I disagree. Anderson looks like a monster. Muller can too. Wright still has time. These guys are really young.
    Not sure how much time Wright needs. He should have been seasoned already pitching in college.

Anderson still we don't know about.

As Enscheff has pointed out, the spin rates on Wright and Anderson are not promising.
    Forever Fredi

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Not sure how much time Wright needs. He should have been seasoned already pitching in college.

Anderson still we don't know about.

As Enscheff has pointed out, the spin rates on Wright and Anderson are not promising.
    Anderson, if he stays in AA will probably break the all time strikeout record. As the youngest guy in the league. You don’t do that with poor stuff.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IslandBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    ah i love overreactions
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

THey also didn't come from the trades.

What made the rebuild dumb was the focus on all pitching and on pitchers who already had Tommy John. Like tearing a ligament was the chicken pox where if you had it you wouldn't get it again. Not that it was likely indicative of bigger issues.

Anyway, you can't tell some people aside from the Heyward trade the rebuild was a collective whiff, because they don't get it. They will cite the positive of getting the competitive balance pick for trading Justin Upton and ignore the reality of getting a pick if all we did was let him leave.

THere was 2 great trades made in the rebuild, Heyward for Miller then Miller for Ender and Swanson. Those trades were great. The Upton trade was OK, I'd wish we got Renfroe and Hedges instead of the Petersons. The Gattis trade is a little hard to grade, mainly because a player like Gattis's value is hard to gauge. He was a star for us for a year, but he was a defensive bum and likely to age out of catcher really fast. But he was cheap and under control, I'd like to think we could have gotten one stud for him instead of 3 middling prospects. Though Astros Middling prospects from that time frame were quite good. THe Kimbrel trade was hot garbage, trade our closer for salary cap space? And the SImmons trade was just bad. Newk was a top pitchign prospect, but you cannot sell me on the logic of trading a young, cost controlled, 3-4 WAR player for one top pitching prospect. It's moronic. Oh yeah and the right to watch Erick Aybar for a season, can't forget that. We should have gotten Heaney as well. He was hurt I know, but he should have been included and I still would have said no to that deal. It reeked of a JS/Cox trade like the Tex trade where you want a MLB player in return so it doesn't totally look like you're rebuilding. Then the ****tiest trade of the era, the Olivera trade and it's fallout.

So we traded a young and controllable Alex Wood, a top prospect in Peralta, and 2 warm bodied (aka held some value) relievers for the right to save money from Bronson Arroyo, for a 30 year old who never played in the majors with lots of issues, like his inability to play defense at his position. That trade lead to the Matt Kemp trade, which was basically a like for like Salary Dump. Thankfully the Dodgers were willing to take him back if we took on some more money, and we traded Peralta and Wood and got a lot of wasted money, some replacement level production from Kemp, and Charlie Culberson.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I think we should save this thread for a few years for those whose who think our pitching isnt going to develop.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Wait...we’re sitting here well on our way to clinching our 2nd straight division title, we have two young generational talents locked up, we just improved our team by a decent margin while still maintaining our top 3 farm system, and we’re arguing about whether the rebuild was a failure?

WTF is happening?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-01-2019), jpx7 (08-01-2019), Super (08-01-2019), Tapate50 (08-01-2019)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Wait...we’re sitting here well on our way to clinching our 2nd straight division title, we have two young generational talents locked up, we just improved our team by a decent margin while still maintaining our top 3 farm system, and we’re arguing about whether the rebuild was a failure?

WTF is happening?
    Pessimism rules the internet.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

WTF is happening?
    Didn’t you see we DFA’d Gohora today?? It’s all going to hell in a hand basket!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Well Folty didnt exactly pitch well in the playoffs when in last years form.
    He pitched fine in his second start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    THey also didn't come from the trades.

What made the rebuild dumb was the focus on all pitching and on pitchers who already had Tommy John. Like tearing a ligament was the chicken pox where if you had it you wouldn't get it again. Not that it was likely indicative of bigger issues.

Anyway, you can't tell some people aside from the Heyward trade the rebuild was a collective whiff, because they don't get it. They will cite the positive of getting the competitive balance pick for trading Justin Upton and ignore the reality of getting a pick if all we did was let him leave.

THere was 2 great trades made in the rebuild, Heyward for Miller then Miller for Ender and Swanson. Those trades were great. The Upton trade was OK, I'd wish we got Renfroe and Hedges instead of the Petersons. The Gattis trade is a little hard to grade, mainly because a player like Gattis's value is hard to gauge. He was a star for us for a year, but he was a defensive bum and likely to age out of catcher really fast. But he was cheap and under control, I'd like to think we could have gotten one stud for him instead of 3 middling prospects. Though Astros Middling prospects from that time frame were quite good. THe Kimbrel trade was hot garbage, trade our closer for salary cap space? And the SImmons trade was just bad. Newk was a top pitchign prospect, but you cannot sell me on the logic of trading a young, cost controlled, 3-4 WAR player for one top pitching prospect. It's moronic. Oh yeah and the right to watch Erick Aybar for a season, can't forget that. We should have gotten Heaney as well. He was hurt I know, but he should have been included and I still would have said no to that deal. It reeked of a JS/Cox trade like the Tex trade where you want a MLB player in return so it doesn't totally look like you're rebuilding. Then the ****tiest trade of the era, the Olivera trade and it's fallout.

So we traded a young and controllable Alex Wood, a top prospect in Peralta, and 2 warm bodied (aka held some value) relievers for the right to save money from Bronson Arroyo, for a 30 year old who never played in the majors with lots of issues, like his inability to play defense at his position. That trade lead to the Matt Kemp trade, which was basically a like for like Salary Dump. Thankfully the Dodgers were willing to take him back if we took on some more money, and we traded Peralta and Wood and got a lot of wasted money, some replacement level production from Kemp, and Charlie Culberson.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts

WTF is happening?
    You read my mind.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-01-2019), Mrs. Meta (08-01-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

WTF is happening?
    I guess we could have made out better on some of the trades, and draft picks.

But complaining about the rebuild when the farm is in good shape, the MLB team has lots of good players, and Acuna/Albies are signed for the next decade. I guess some people just need something to complain about.

Some teams rebuilds have gone worse, way worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Jace Peterson flopped, thus the rebuild was a failure.
    Ivermectin Man

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Super (08-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I guess we could have made out better on some of the trades, and draft picks.

But complaining about the rebuild when the farm is in good shape, the MLB team has lots of good players, and Acuna/Albies are signed for the next decade. I guess some people just need something to complain about.

Some teams rebuilds have gone worse, way worse.
    the rebuild went well.
    whining at this point is hilarious, and..sad.
    the trades were fine. the drafts were good. the farm is still good because of those things.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-01-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Jace Peterson flopped, thus the rebuild was a failure.
    Still in the majors (if you consider this year's Orioles' team to be a major league team). I find it odd that the Orioles didn't move Givens and/or Mancini.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-01-2019)