Page 45 of 289 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Seriously? You're criticizing ANYONE about their post count and amount of time they spend posting here???

WOW. Might be your most interesting post ever.
    You should have stretched this out to 1000+ words.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Are the cubs rebuilding and I wasn’t informed.

The Cubs did a great job building a contender to open their window, and then an equally bad job maintaining the system to keep the window open. They are currently in the phase where the end is clearly in sight, and now there are rumblings about how they are going to transition between contention windows.

Selling a cheap catcher doesn’t seem like the best way to accomplish any goal, but maybe they have a master plan that’s so complex we simpletons can’t comprehend it.

The last part of my post is going to contain 900+ filler words, mostly rhetorical questions, “interesting thoughts”, and lists of players we already know are on the team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Any appetite for a swap with the Cubs for Contreras that involves Max Fried? It seems they have more interest in controllable young starting pitching than say someone like Riley.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    The Cubs didn't really do anything last offseason if i'm not mistaken because they were only $10m short of having to pay luxury tax...again I could be mistaken. I'd assume that the mid-season addition of Kimbrel added to that amount...

I wonder if they are in a position where they see the window closing within the next few years....They could put Contreras with a bad contract, like a Heyward (4 years/ $96m) or Kimbrel (2 years / $32m with a vesting option for an additional 1 year / $16m)

Lets say the Cubs approached the Braves and offered us Contreras, but by doing so, we would have to take back Kimbrel....what deal would you offer? Probably wouldn't make sense because they would want to maximize Contreras' value

Braves get: Contreras and Kimbrel
    Cubs get: Mark Melancon (salary off set), Riley, Touki, Wright

I would probably do that deal.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    In less than 900 words, my thoughts are as followed: make good moves.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-11-2019), jpx7 (11-11-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    In less than 900 words, my thoughts are as followed: make good moves.
    I mean, can you imagine a better way to construct a good team? That is easily the most efficient way, and makes too much sense not to happen. It’s very interesting to think about, especially when you consider making more than one good move.

As I said in post #853 in paragraph 7 on line 17 when I was mentioning every single possible FA in the market in an attempt to be right a few months later, all those good moves would be perfect if you’re AA and you’re thinking about creating a competitive roster.

Since none of the Braves fans on this board know the current players...

A series of good moves sets the roster up as Soroka, Fried, Folty, a young arm, and a good move in the rotation. The starting position players would be Freeman, Albies, Swanson, a good move at 3b, a good move paired with Flowers at C, Acuna, Markakis platooned with a good move or Duvall, and Ender in CF. The BP is Melancon, Newk, ODay, Minter, Jackson, some young arms, and maybe a good move or two.

I didn’t present any convoluted payroll math where I try to keep a running total in some odd +/- tabulation, but you can head over to my failed blog where I paid to call myself a lifetime member of the Internet Baseball Writers Association in a hilariously pathetic attempt to legitimize my blog.

So after reading those 1000 rambling words, everyone can see how well I can regurgitate things I hear on XM radio to these boards. I am starting to use stats I mocked a year ago, and it helps me extend the length of my posts to the 1000+ word mark, but I still mock people who use spreadsheets.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-10-2019 at 12:29 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (11-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    This is probably the first offseason I have literally no interest in what the Braves do. Everything I see rumored,hinted, or suggested looks like a horrific move to me. Honestly rather just do nothing at this point and hope for the best. I have absolutely zero confidence the Braves will win a playoff series in the foreseeable future. God help me if we sign Moosetacos and Cole Hamels I might go root for the Mets because atleast they have a chance.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    This is probably the first offseason I have literally no interest in what the Braves do. Everything I see rumored,hinted, or suggested looks like a horrific move to me. Honestly rather just do nothing at this point and hope for the best. I have absolutely zero confidence the Braves will win a playoff series in the foreseeable future. God help me if we sign Moosetacos and Cole Hamels I might go root for the Mets because atleast they have a chance.
    Why would we sign Hamels when we have Wright?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Snit needs a veteran to start Game 1 of the NLDS.
    Forever Fredi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post

I dont know if you are trolling me because you know my opinion on Wright or because you dont.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Snit needs a veteran to start Game 1 of the NLDS.
    Nice
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Any appetite for a swap with the Cubs for Contreras that involves Max Fried? It seems they have more interest in controllable young starting pitching than say someone like Riley.
    You’re probably right, but it would be counterproductive to fill one hole on the roster while opening another.

Quick surplus value estimation for 3 years of Contreras is 8-9 wins at a cost of $25M, resulting in something in the neighborhood of $50M-$60M.

That’s probably Anderson ($35M) plus 1-2 other lesser pieces. If there truly are spin rate concerns with Anderson, cashing him in for a longish term answer at catcher is a great use of his value.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-11-2019), jpx7 (11-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I mean, can you imagine a better way to construct a good team? That is easily the most efficient way, and makes too much sense not to happen. It’s very interesting to think about, especially when you consider making more than one good move.

As I said in post #853 in paragraph 7 on line 17 when I was mentioning every single possible FA in the market in an attempt to be right a few months later, all those good moves would be perfect if you’re AA and you’re thinking about creating a competitive roster.

Since none of the Braves fans on this board know the current players...

A series of good moves sets the roster up as Soroka, Fried, Folty, a young arm, and a good move in the rotation. The starting position players would be Freeman, Albies, Swanson, a good move at 3b, a good move paired with Flowers at C, Acuna, Markakis platooned with a good move or Duvall, and Ender in CF. The BP is Melancon, Newk, ODay, Minter, Jackson, some young arms, and maybe a good move or two.

I didn’t present any convoluted payroll math where I try to keep a running total in some odd +/- tabulation, but you can head over to my failed blog where I paid to call myself a lifetime member of the Internet Baseball Writers Association in a hilariously pathetic attempt to legitimize my blog.

So after reading those 1000 rambling words, everyone can see how well I can regurgitate things I hear on XM radio to these boards. I am starting to use stats I mocked a year ago, and it helps me extend the length of my posts to the 1000+ word mark, but I still mock people who use spreadsheets.
    I snotted

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Cubs did a great job building a contender to open their window, and then an equally bad job maintaining the system to keep the window open. They are currently in the phase where the end is clearly in sight, and now there are rumblings about how they are going to transition between contention windows.

Selling a cheap catcher doesn’t seem like the best way to accomplish any goal, but maybe they have a master plan that’s so complex we simpletons can’t comprehend it.

The last part of my post is going to contain 900+ filler words, mostly rhetorical questions, “interesting thoughts”, and lists of players we already know are on the team.
    From some cubs fans perspectives it’s a position of strength, with Caratini being a decent starter and one of their best prospects being a catcher. Seems unlikely either of those two end up as good as Contreras, but I’d love if the Braves were the ones who acquire him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I would love to get Contreras. He would be perfect.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Contreras is a pretty bad receiver, and we have seen AA target good ones so far.

We also saw Realmuto go from being a poor receiver to a good one once he started focusing on it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (11-10-2019), jpx7 (11-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I would love to get Contreras. He would be perfect.
    He’d me by top target if he’s really available. If they are concerned about Anderson at all that would be the way to maximize his value imo. It would solve a huge hole for us and leave us with pretty much all of our available money available to spend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Trade for Lindor and Contreras somehow keeping Pache... sign Rendon and Hamels... profit. Absolute fantasy lineup. That's what I'd do with my monopoly money.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I don’t know where this go but if anyone wants to read.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...hoo&yptr=yahoo

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Interesting to see a per game revenue figure of $5M, which is probably a bit higher during a sellout postseason game.