Results 9,141 to 9,160 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Kinda crazy the transition this board has made on AA. Last season, we were all happy with the new analytics and having a smart GM. Fast forward to the offseason coming off a playoff appearance and AA is a chump
    Fans always have and always will overrate the offseason, on both ends. Teams that don't make tons of big moves have moved backward. Teams that made big splashes are now WS favorites. Over the long term, the smart, successful franchises are the ones who build from within, always prioritize value and looking toward the future, and make complementary moves on the FA/trade markets....not the teams who 'go for it' it one offseason.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-14-2019), Southcack77 (02-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Fans always have and always will overrate the offseason, on both ends. Teams that don't make tons of big moves have moved backward. Teams that made big splashes are now WS favorites. Over the long term, the smart, successful franchises are the ones who build from within, always prioritize value and looking toward the future, and make complementary moves on the FA/trade markets....not the teams who 'go for it' it one offseason.
    Right...just give the ball to Allard and get out of his way.

Amirite smooooottt??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Any chance the unknown on Harper, machado, Dallas K, and Kimbrel is keeping AA from being very aggressive?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Right...just give the ball to Allard and get out of his way.

Amirite smooooottt??
    I feel for you, bro.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I've essentially been predicting this for 3+ years. It's why I wanted to trade Freeman (+Inciarte, +Teheran (when he had value), +Markakis, plus anyone else that could bring something back). If they would have done that, then they would have had a clear plan of a true rebuild - gather as much high end talent as possible in waves and when the waves begin to reach the majors have a huge amount of payroll space and positional flexibility to make moves with an eye on short and long term success.

Instead, they kept all those guys with Freeman now being a non starter for trade because of the supposed closeness of the team, with Inciarte beginning to show signs of decline but also being in a position of hard to trade from an internal standpoint because of where the team is on the field, and Teheran having regressed into negative value but eating needed payroll space.

Now they've reached purgatory status - not good enough to really win and sustain winning, not bad enough to admit a bad plan and throw in the towel and start over. And they don't have the payroll space to just buy what they need on a short term basis which puts them in a trading position of weakness against teams wanting to trade because those teams know the Braves have to improve only through trade. This puts AA in a defensive position of protecting his assets which earns him the praise of "not panicking" and wasting his assets.

Everyone says they'll wait until mid season. What if they are 5 games below .500 at mid season? Or, even AT .500 but with the Nats and Phillies fighting it out at 8-10 games OVER .500? Is that the right time? Or, do they look at attendance, influenced by the record, and say " revenue isn't meeting projections so no justifiable reason to add payroll.

Even if they DO add at the deadline, what are they buying? 3 months of an Aroldis Chapman? A couple of years of a back end reliever like a Miller?

The overall plan sucks and has always sucked. Sure, there have been some good things. But the waste and lack of vision is just disheartening.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So you are saying by adding a 1.5 win upgrade in RF and another 1.5 wins in the pen wouldn’t make this team better. And maybe make this team only have to hit on 3 what if’s versus 5 now. Really. And that is your thought then why even sign JD.
    JD is an expensive draft pick.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I've essentially been predicting this for 3+ years. It's why I wanted to trade Freeman (+Inciarte, +Teheran (when he had value), +Markakis, plus anyone else that could bring something back). If they would have done that, then they would have had a clear plan of a true rebuild - gather as much high end talent as possible in waves and when the waves begin to reach the majors have a huge amount of payroll space and positional flexibility to make moves with an eye on short and long term success.

Instead, they kept all those guys with Freeman now being a non starter for trade because of the supposed closeness of the team, with Inciarte beginning to show signs of decline but also being in a position of hard to trade from an internal standpoint because of where the team is on the field, and Teheran having regressed into negative value but eating needed payroll space.

Now they've reached purgatory status - not good enough to really win and sustain winning, not bad enough to admit a bad plan and throw in the towel and start over. And they don't have the payroll space to just buy what they need on a short term basis which puts them in a trading position of weakness against teams wanting to trade because those teams know the Braves have to improve only through trade. This puts AA in a defensive position of protecting his assets which earns him the praise of "not panicking" and wasting his assets.

Everyone says they'll wait until mid season. What if they are 5 games below .500 at mid season? Or, even AT .500 but with the Nats and Phillies fighting it out at 8-10 games OVER .500? Is that the right time? Or, do they look at attendance, influenced by the record, and say " revenue isn't meeting projections so no justifiable reason to add payroll.

Even if they DO add at the deadline, what are they buying? 3 months of an Aroldis Chapman? A couple of years of a back end reliever like a Miller?

The overall plan sucks and has always sucked. Sure, there have been some good things. But the waste and lack of vision is just disheartening.

Did you want to trade Freeman? I did not know that.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-14-2019), jpx7 (02-14-2019), zedsdead (02-14-2019)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Did you want to trade Freeman? I did not know that.
    I'm glad you asked.

I'll be back later with all the reasons why.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    JD is an expensive draft pick.

Fills out the Anthopolous Trival Pursuit night, IYAM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    A guy can both be smarter than he predecessors and too conservative at the same time. In fact, it's quite possible that analytical nature coupled with being burned by some big off seasons in Toronto (he references those mistakes often) combined to result in this exact off season.

Don't pay $1.10 for something that's only worth $1 because that's not good value, even if you need that $1.10 item to compete. Don't add Wentz to the package for JTR even though he's a massive upgrade. Don't add an option year to the offer for Brantley even though he'd fit perfect at the top of the lineup.

I agree with building for the long run overall, but not to extent AA is currently doing so. The resources were there to be more aggressive for 2019 without mortgaging the future too much. By this time, AA should have been able to identify the true players among the prospects, and aggressively traded away the rest to improve the team now. If he can't determine who's who by now, what was the last year spent doing, and why would giving him another 4-5 months make any difference?
    What he said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I feel for you, bro.
    Literally this guy spends half his time doing analytics that he's not paid for and just brings up the same tired, BS to try and make fun of people with the other half.

What does he do for work? Does he have a family?

I struggle to understand why the mods allow him to just make fun of people all the time. The funny part was when that one guy proved that he was wrong once and he just tried to wiggle out of it.

Mindboggling.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Literally this guy spends half his time doing analytics that he's not paid for and just brings up the same tired, BS to try and make fun of people with the other half.

What does he do for work? Does he have a family?

I struggle to understand why the mods allow him to just make fun of people all the time. The funny part was when that one guy proved that he was wrong once and he just tried to wiggle out of it.

Mindboggling.
    I'm a real engineer, not a salesman who calls himself an engineer lol.

These analytics take a minimal amount of my time, and are completed while I wait for code to compile or test runs to finish.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    JD was a great signing. But it doesn’t move the needle enough to win the series. So we are right back here next year. So are we happy with just winning enough and hoping all our prospects pan out. I guess you are. I guess you like the gm to be the underdog too when he keeps saying he has the money and prospect to do more.
    don't get your panties in such a twist. sheesh. i literally said, in the post *you replied to* that i was disappointed with the offseason as well.
    the team is better than last year, tho, so i don't get the constant whining and making objectively false claims. carry on.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    don't get your panties in such a twist. sheesh. i literally said, in the post *you replied to* that i was disappointed with the offseason as well.
    the team is better than last year, tho, so i don't get the constant whining and making objectively false claims. carry on.
    I am not meaning to project my saltiness towards anyone here. It is all directed to the liars in the FO.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I am not meaning to project my saltiness towards anyone here. It is all directed to the liars in the FO.
    it is annoying that they are STILL saying there's money to spend when there clearly is not. they definitely think the fans are stupid. at one point i started to believe them, but abandoned that long ago. we won't be up to $140M this season. at any point.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

I struggle to understand why the mods allow him to just make fun of people all the time.
    While it's no surprise to see you struggle to understand something...

Pot, meet kettle...

God Enscheff is a pathetic, terrible person. I can't imagine how miserable he is in real life. What a ****ing bitch.
    You're pathetic.
    I do appreciate that you were impressed though, Sthuper.
    Don't engage with that moron.
    it stands for ****ing, but enjoy your pathetic, message board existence.
    I'm a F engineer, you idiot...
    Yes, I'm implying that you are a tad slow. Now, run a long Sthuper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I'm a real engineer, not a salesman who calls himself an engineer lol.

These analytics take a minimal amount of my time, and are completed while I wait for code to compile or test runs to finish.
    I have a ****ing engineering degree, you idiot. I was an engineer for 9 years before I moved to sales. I sell highly technical solutions that require me to still be an engineer and perform engineering tasks. If you don't think I'm a "real engineer", I don't know what to tell you.

We have a ****load of grunts like you who do our coding. If you ever find yourself out of a job, I can hook you up. The nerds play Magic The Gathering in the cafeteria if that's your sorta thing.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyTrain For This Useful Post:

Garmel (02-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I have a ****ing engineering degree, you idiot. I was an engineer for 9 years before I moved to sales. I sell highly technical solutions that require me to still be an engineer and perform engineering tasks. If you don't think I'm a "real engineer", I don't know what to tell you.

We have a ****load of grunts like you who do our coding. If you ever find yourself out of a job, I can hook you up. The nerds play Magic The Gathering in the cafeteria if that's your sorta thing.
    I promise you can't afford me.

Now off you go to sell some doodads to someone...doodads designed by real engineers.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    I’m getting tired of the back and forth crap. Stop all of it right now. I’m getting tired of seeing this thread constantly derailed by the same nonsense. Now get back on topic.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I promise you can't afford me.

Now off you go to sell some doodads to someone...doodads designed by real engineers.
    LOL, please. You're a valuable asset to your company, yet spend almost your entire day here? I do sell doodads designed by other engineers, but I bring them together into a system that I engineered along with others on our team.

But ya... you write F code. Sounds like you're less of an engineer than I am. You're a software developer. What kind of mechanical keyboard do you have, nerd?