Page 19 of 91 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: 116th Congress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    This seems like quite a nitpick. Aside from all the tax incentives, the city was basically dumping $2B in grants on Amazon. I’m sure it wasn’t ripped directly out of the hands of teachers and firefighters, but it was public money.
    It was granted based off of future raxable revenues geberated by the company.

It is not current public money that can be reallocated. Its an astonishingly stupid comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Corporate pork does at the end of the day come out of resources that could be allocated to other uses. That seems uncontroversial. Otherwise what is the objection to it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It was granted based off of future raxable revenues geberated by the company.

It is not current public money that can be reallocated. Its an astonishingly stupid comment.
    The $505M capital grant, too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The $505M capital grant, too?
    Only granted because future taxable revenue will greatly outpace that figure. Therefore, it doesnt actually exist without amazon.

Dont fet me wrong - i hate companies like amazon and am fine with them not opening up this plant. I just hate the financial stupidity of the leaders on the left.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Only granted because future taxable revenue will greatly outpace that figure. Therefore, it doesnt actually exist without amazon.

Dont fet me wrong - i hate companies like amazon and am fine with them not opening up this plant. I just hate the financial stupidity of the leaders on the left.
    I agree with that. I think the subsidies thrown at Amazon were nuts. The opposition to Amazon, however, seems mostly to spring out of a general anti-business sentiment that is hurting the city. The opposition doesn't really have a viable plan to help the people they claim to be defending.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I agree with that. I think the subsidies thrown at Amazon were nuts. The opposition to Amazon, however, seems mostly to spring out of a general anti-business sentiment that is hurting the city. The opposition doesn't really have a viable plan to help the people they claim to be defending.
    I personally will end up losing with amazon leaving approximiately 25-50k in property value. Those are the hidden financial benefits to residents of the regional area.

But, like i said. Ive long been against monopolistic entities so im not crying about it
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    She doesn't get it, guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    She doesn't get it, guys

This is a fairly common fallacy on her part. To focus narrowly on certain jobs for certain people. I call it jobism. Jobs are not attached to individuals. Most of us work a sequence of different jobs over our lives. To focus narrowly on one set of jobs for one group of people in a particular location represents a misunderstanding of how labor markets work. This is a fallacy that you see more on the left. Since you didn't perform your function around here, I have to step in and say the left has lost its mind. At least with respect to this issue.

By the way there is a more general principle at work. Sometimes you see arguments, like buy local. Why should anyone do this. If local is better, buy local. If not you owe it to yourself to buy the best product for the best price.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-15-2019 at 11:28 AM.

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (02-15-2019), Jaw (02-15-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think she instinctively dislikes the deal because of the absurd incentives that were being granted to Amazon, but has trouble articulating that reason well to constituents who are economically ignorant. I think she settled on an argument that she knows is both wrong and more politically apt and has the same outcome.

I also think an awful lot of people are underestimating her. She's an attractive, young, personable, minority woman, with a worldview that today's news media and Hollywood will gladly disseminate. Now it's just a race between her ascension and Wall Street/mega rich's efforts to get their hooks into her to stop her ideas before they reach critical mass.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I think she instinctively dislikes the deal because of the absurd incentives that were being granted to Amazon, but has trouble articulating that reason well to constituents who are economically ignorant. I think she settled on an argument that she knows is both wrong and more politically apt and has the same outcome.

I also think an awful lot of people are underestimating her. She's an attractive, young, personable, minority woman, with a worldview that today's news media and Hollywood will gladly disseminate. Now it's just a race between her ascension and Wall Street/mega rich's efforts to get their hooks into her to stop her ideas before they reach critical mass.
    I wonder about her future. You have people like George Stephanopoulos and Joe Scarborough who have done very well moving on to television. I could see that happening with her. I don't mean that in a deprecating way. But I don't see her as the type who can build coalitions and be a legislative tactician.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I wonder about her future. You have people like George Stephanopoulos and Joe Scarborough who have done very well moving on to television. I could see that happening with her. I don't mean that in a deprecating way. But I don't see her as the type who can build coalitions and be a legislative tactician.
    Maybe. But I don't think anyone would have attributed those qualities to our current President either.

I think she has a greater than zero chance of being the most impactful US politician since FDR.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Maybe. But I don't think anyone would have attributed those qualities to our current President either.

I think she has a greater than zero chance of being the most impactful US politician since FDR.
    Our Evita

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    At the risk of upsetting all the AOC fans around here, some of the other House freshmen are pretty talented and have big futures. I submit for your consideration this article about Mikie Sherrill.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ill-aoc-225054

I used to live in the Congressional district she represents. It is a strongly Republican district, though not of the type you might see in the South.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I read that article earlier today. I'm interested to see what form of "moderate" she takes. There doesn't seem to be much diversity of thought among D reps once Nancy decides something needs the votes to pass.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I read that article earlier today. I'm interested to see what form of "moderate" she takes. There doesn't seem to be much diversity of thought among D reps once Nancy decides something needs the votes to pass.
    She has a hell of a resume and seems to have some political chops. I don't know about her future as a national candidate, but someday she will win statewide office in NJ. Governor or senator. I'd put money on that. As someone in the article alluded to, although a Democrat she is in the tradition of Tom Kean. And he was the most popular governor the state has had in a long time. And a very good governor too.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    This seems like quite a nitpick. Aside from all the tax incentives, the city was basically dumping $2B in grants on Amazon. I’m sure it wasn’t ripped directly out of the hands of teachers and firefighters, but it was public money.
    The effect would have been spread over years, but as one of my bosses used to say "You can only spend a dollar once." Any dollar going to pay for any incentive is a dollar that couldn't be spent on something else. The argument, of course, is that the development would spur other economic development. Maybe in this case it would have, but most of these projects don't pay for themselves when everything is added up. I didn't look closely at the proposal, but my guess is that it probably included property tax exemptions, which in effect pushes the property tax burden higher for other folks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (02-15-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Thank goodness she's the only public official doing that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Thank goodness she's the only public official doing that.
    I wasn't criticizing her. I suppose I was defending her, as odd as that seems.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    AoC has a degree in Economics? Thats almost as absurd as Roy Moore having a law degree. From what I read this HQ would have had 70k employees. I wonder what 70k mostly good jobs does for a local economy, like a waitress at a restaurant/coffee shop..... And just a side note, nothing will make you racist faster than working for tips.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    AoC has a degree in Economics? Thats almost as absurd as Roy Moore having a law degree. From what I read this HQ would have had 70k employees. I wonder what 70k mostly good jobs does for a local economy, like a waitress at a restaurant/coffee shop..... And just a side note, nothing will make you racist faster than working for tips.
    The fentrification of BK and Queens has been a hot button issue out here for 20 years. Lots of new yorkers are pushed out of their homes due to affordability of everyday things like groceries when the hipsters take over. I get why some didnt want amazon coming in but dont give us a stupid reason like tax incentives which proves you have no idea how math works.
    Natural Immunity Croc