Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 9144

Thread: Meme & Quote Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Not really. Back then I saw democrats like Hillary try to destroy women who came out to accuse Clinton.
    So, that makes today's version of Hillary who? Trump? Sean? Turtle boy? I'm definitely not disagreeing with about Bill or Hillary, but the situations then vs now are identical whether you guys want to see it or not. Repubs are just better at burying their mistakes, which considering how good the Clintons are at it kinda makes you wonder why the Repubs hate them so much

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    So, that makes today's version of Hillary who? Trump? Sean? Turtle boy? I'm definitely not disagreeing with about Bill or Hillary, but the situations then vs now are identical whether you guys want to see it or not. Repubs are just better at burying their mistakes, which considering how good the Clintons are at it kinda makes you wonder why the Repubs hate them so much
    It's not close to being identical. Ford couldn't even name a time and place of her assault. Her four witnesses couldn't back up her story which tells me she's either lying or she's possibly delusional. The DA even said there wouldn't even be enough to bring this to court if this was a criminal case. The fact that Ford's lawyers won't fork over the therapist's notes pretty much tells you all you need to know. With Clinton's accusers there's at least a chance they are telling the truth.
    Last edited by Garmel; 10-08-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    It's not close to being identical. Ford couldn't even name a time and place of her assault. Her four witnesses couldn't back up her story which tells me she's either lying or she's possibly delusional. The DA even said there wouldn't even be enough to bring this to court if this was a criminal case. The fact that Ford's lawyers won't fork over the therapist's notes pretty much tells you all you need to know. With Clinton's accusers there's at least a chance they are telling the truth.
    Well there is certainly a chance that Ford is telling the truth as well. But I agree that the evidence against Clinton was far stronger.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Well there is certainly a chance that Ford is telling the truth as well.
    I don't see it, Beanie. There's also one serious problem with this story-sexual predators don't quit. He's surrounded himself with many women around him and nothing has come out over the years. When you have so many women stick up for him it's a pretty good indicator that's he's not a predator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I don't see it, Beanie. There's also one serious problem with this story-sexual predators don't quit. He's surrounded himself with many women around him and nothing has come out over the years. When you have so many women stick up for him it's a pretty good indicator that's he's not a predator.
    You are not very informed. No one has accused him of being a "sexual predator" nor of ever having been one, but only of having done some sexually aggressive/abusive and demeaning things to girls in his youth while he was drunk.

I believe Ford is telling the truth because she looked like a person telling the truth. Kavanaugh looked like an entitled frat boy putting on an excellent performance while crying about getting caught.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You are not very informed. No one has accused him of being a "sexual predator" nor of ever having been one, but only of having done some sexually aggressive/abusive and demeaning things to girls in his youth while he was drunk.

I believe Ford is telling the truth because she looked like a person telling the truth. Kavanaugh looked like an entitled frat boy putting on an excellent performance while crying about getting caught.
    Runnin, no offense but you have no business calling any person uninformed. People that are inclined toward this kind of behavior usually don't change as they grow older. Bill Clinton sure hasn't.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

See this is why I'm so reluctant to make a call one way or the other. My gut instincts lead me to a subconscious bias that thought she looked like she was lying and Kavanaugh was telling the truth. It took me a few hours to really realize that my partisan bias might have been an issue. I have no way to really look at this situation objectively because I tend to agree more with Kavanaugh's jurisprudence than I would someone like Ginsburg. So I don't trust my judgement on their testimony. I'm actually shocked that some otherwise reasonable people have come to such strong conclusions regarding this. And isn't it ironic that their conclusions line up almost perfectly with their political outlook? The one exception I've seen is nscapi. Maybe a couple of others on either side.

I just don't see any way to be definitive about this issue. People have pre-conceived conclusions and then search for reasons why they are right. This has perhaps been the most confirmation bias ridden political incident in modern American history.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    See this is why I'm so reluctant to make a call one way or the other. My gut instincts lead me to a subconscious bias that thought she looked like she was lying and Kavanaugh was telling the truth. It took me a few hours to really realize that my partisan bias might have been an issue. I have no way to really look at this situation objectively because I tend to agree more with Kavanaugh's jurisprudence than I would someone like Ginsburg. So I don't trust my judgement on their testimony. I'm actually shocked that some otherwise reasonable people have come to such strong conclusions regarding this. And isn't it ironic that their conclusions line up almost perfectly with their political outlook? The one exception I've seen is nscapi. Maybe a couple of others on either side.

I just don't see any way to be definitive about this issue. People have pre-conceived conclusions and then search for reasons why they are right. This has perhaps been the most confirmation bias ridden political incident in modern American history.
    To me this has nothing to do with politics. I'm still not sure Keith Ellison is guilty either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Runnin, no offense but you have no business calling any person uninformed. People that are inclined toward this kind of behavior usually don't change as they grow older. Bill Clinton sure hasn't.
    The "sexual predator" comment is a straw man argument. No one has made that jump about Kavanaugh. The things he was accused of were very much in line with the characterization that many have made of him, very believable, and probably not that far off from stuff we have witnessed or even been guilty of ourselves. I don't think Kavanaugh was accused of ever being a successful rapist or molester, but only a drunk who had some tendencies.

Btw, the President is lying when he says that Kavanaugh was found innocent, but I'm sure we all know that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

I agree with most of that.

I find her more credible because she had nothing to gain by coming forward and so much to lose. By all accounts she's a private, somewhat mousy character with a family and didn't want to be in the spotlight. She was restrained and understated when she finally was in it. Kav on the other hand, was only acting in his own self-interests and never once showed any real attempt at compassion or objectivity. But maybe that just the way I wanted to see it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    The "sexual predator" comment is a straw man argument. No one has made that jump about Kavanaugh. The things he was accused of were very much in line with the characterization that many have made of him, very believable, and probably not that far off from stuff we have witnessed or even been guilty of ourselves. I don't think Kavanaugh was accused of ever being a successful rapist or molester, but only a drunk who had some tendencies.

Btw, the President is lying when he says that Kavanaugh was found innocent, but I'm sure we all know that.
    A drunk with "tendencies" would be considered a sexual predator. Yes, many people said rape.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    There does exist a third door where he’s not either a serial sexual predator or an innocent choir boy. That door could involve heavy drinking and a culture where men get what they want. It doesn’t mean Kavanaugh is out there assaulting women on the regular, but certainly provides a basis for believing he would do something similar to what Dr. Ford has alleged.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I agree with most of that.

I find her more credible because she had nothing to gain by coming forward and so much to lose. By all accounts she's a private, somewhat mousy character with a family and didn't want to be in the spotlight. She was restrained and understated when she finally was in it. Kav on the other hand, was only acting in his own self-interests and never once showed any real attempt at compassion or objectivity. But maybe that just the way I wanted to see it.
    See I think this is where the bias may play a role. You have to look at it from his point of view, provided he didn't do anything. If you view through the lense of him being innocent, then he appeared remarkably restrained. If it would have been me and I knew I did nothing wrong, I would have told Ford and the entire world to go fu** themselves and I would have been in a blind rage. But once again, its impossible to really know what lense to view it through.

I also think that saying she had nothing to gain by this is a fairly weak argument. Yes, she was thrust into spotlight that its possible she didn't want. But Anita Hill parlayed her ordeal into a pretty lucrative opportunity for book deals and films made about the account. Ford already has one personal GoFundMe set up that has raised over a half a million dollars and a few separate GoFundMe's have raised similar amounts. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see her with a book deal or two after a while. So she definitely has something to gain. However, that doesn't disqualify anything that she has said or anything that Anita Hill claimed. Just because someone profits off of something doesn't mean they were doing it for the wrong reasons. I've always thought the "nothing to gain" or "lots to gain" lines of reasoning were really really stupid on both sides. It does nothing to speak to the truth of the matter and provides no evidence either way.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    There does exist a third door where he’s not either a serial sexual predator or an innocent choir boy. That door could involve heavy drinking and a culture where men get what they want. It doesn’t mean Kavanaugh is out there assaulting women on the regular, but certainly provides a basis for believing he would do something similar to what Dr. Ford has alleged.
    I think if there was anything that Dr. Ford did wrong during the testimony, it was dressing up what happened to such an extent that it opened a window for non-believability. She made claims of wild maniacal laughter during the ordeal to make him sound sociopathic, she made claims that there were several instances where she thought she might die... Just a lot of dressing up. During most of her testimony I found myself believing parts of it and I found her fairly credible. During dressing up parts, I felt like I was being manipulated and I know several people who have said similar things.

The laughter part of the testimony is the one that I really could have done without. It almost made it seem like a caricature of a sexual assault, rather than what sexual assault actually looks like in all likelihood. I could probably pop on some random episode of Law and Order: SVU and get a similar scene from that show.

Edit: I should say that its possible my bias played a role in me viewing those parts negatively. But as hard as I try, I just can't bring myself to believe 100% the exact account that she gave. Some parts were just fanciful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    A drunk with "tendencies" would be considered a sexual predator. Yes, many people said rape.
    I don't think any accuser claimed he raped anyone. Again, a girl who thinks she was drugged and had a train pulled on her (she may have said "gang rape") said that Kavanaugh was at least present at the same party, but didn't claim that he was one of the rapists, iirc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    ^^