Thread: John Sickels braves top 20

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

John Sickels braves top 20

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...pects-for-2018

1) Ian Anderson, RHP, Grade A-: Age 20, first round pick from high school in New York in 2016, posted 2.49 ERA in 119 innings between High-A and Double-A, with 142/49 K/BB, only 87 hits and two homers allowed all year; plus fastball, curveball and change-up have all developed nicely, throws strikes, no deterioration in performance after being promoted; in my opinion he has the best combination of upside and polish of all the Braves pitching prospects; ETA late 2019.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I just don't get having Allard that high. The absolute highest I could justify putting Allard would be 10th and even that is iffy. I think all four of our top positional prospects are better than him (Riley, Pache, Waters, Contreras). I honestly think I'd take Gohara, Wilson, Wentz, and Muller over him as well at this point as well. I think slotting him in that Greyson Jenista/Tristan Beck area is about where I would have him. He still has some glimmer of hope left, but not a whole lot.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

auyushu (10-30-2018), Jaw (10-30-2018), jpx7 (10-29-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Need to find a GM who thinks like this dude.
    Coppy

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I just don't get having Allard that high. The absolute highest I could justify putting Allard would be 10th and even that is iffy. I think all four of our top positional prospects are better than him (Riley, Pache, Waters, Contreras). I honestly think I'd take Gohara, Wilson, Wentz, and Muller over him as well at this point as well. I think slotting him in that Greyson Jenista/Tristan Beck area is about where I would have him. He still has some glimmer of hope left, but not a whole lot.
    I’m higher on Jenitsa than Allard.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-30-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Braves having a bunch of guys big league ready soon ie: Touki, Allard, Gohara, Muller, Wilson, Wright, Soroka pretty much means you gotta use them as trade chips to improve the big league team.

But the Braves being linked to Realmuto is weird given AA works quietly and his moves come outta nowhere but maybe it happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I’m higher on Jenitsa than Allard.
    I would rather have 1 Jenista than 3 Allards.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Braves having a bunch of guys big league ready soon ie: Touki, Allard, Gohara, Muller, Wilson, Wright, Soroka pretty much means you gotta use them as trade chips to improve the big league team.

But the Braves being linked to Realmuto is weird given AA works quietly and his moves come outta nowhere but maybe it happens.
    Just throwing everyone off our real target, buster posey

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    This keeps crossing my mind, too. I remember when AA was hired, a Blue Jays fan did a long write up about him. One of the things it said was we'd likely be linked to a ton of players in trade rumors, but then AA would strike out of nowhere and deal for a player that hadn't been mentioned by anyone.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't know where to put Allard, but Sickels is pretty clear in the text that accompanies the rankings that his feelings on Allard are intuitive and he readily admits he may be out-of-step with other analysts. For my part, I think if Allard puts another few inches on his fastball, he could be someone like Alex Wood.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-30-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Just throwing everyone off our real target, buster posey
    Posey has a huge contract and knee problems, dont see it.

I can see Realmuto though. Soroka/Riley would hurt though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    Sickels has always been one of my favorite sources and he has always been closely attuned to the Braves farm system. I know why people are down on Allard but I think people are over reacting. Also dont know why people are so high on Jenista. Feels like watching Charlie Brown try to kick the football with these college bats over the years. Absolutely hate college bats. Wont be surprised if he tops out at AAA while Allard actually finds a useful role in the majors.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If other teams feel the same way about Allard as our fans do then it would not be wise to trade him this offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    This keeps crossing my mind, too. I remember when AA was hired, a Blue Jays fan did a long write up about him. One of the things it said was we'd likely be linked to a ton of players in trade rumors, but then AA would strike out of nowhere and deal for a player that hadn't been mentioned by anyone.
    Gausman kinda came out of nowhere... he was always rumored to be on the block but I never remember us being linked to him. We were Archer Archer Archer all day long and then bam Gausman... could be a huge smoke screen with someone big we never thought of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Sickels has always been one of my favorite sources and he has always been closely attuned to the Braves farm system. I know why people are down on Allard but I think people are over reacting. Also dont know why people are so high on Jenista. Feels like watching Charlie Brown try to kick the football with these college bats over the years. Absolutely hate college bats. Wont be surprised if he tops out at AAA while Allard actually finds a useful role in the majors.
    People with Allard's velocity just don't succeed this day and age, its pretty simple. Jenista slumped after the promotion but he hit the cover off the ball in his first pro experience... I don't get what's not to like

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-31-2018), jpx7 (10-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Had Soroka not been injured, I bet Realmuto is a Brave right now. He and Riley were likely going to Miami as part of a package for him.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Had Soroka not been injured, I bet Realmuto is a Brave right now. He and Riley were likely going to Miami as part of a package for him.
    It was interesting to see Riley mentioned as a trade candidate. if we do in fact trade Riley this offseason I think it would make Josh Donaldson a strong possibility with Camargo as the supersub getting 400-450 plate appearances.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-30-2018), UNCBlue012 (10-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    It was interesting to see Riley mentioned as a trade candidate. if we do in fact trade Riley this offseason I think it would make Josh Donaldson a strong possibility with Camargo as the supersub getting 400-450 plate appearances.
    I’d be perfectly fine with that scenario.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Kinda disqualifies the whole list, and him as an "expert", imo. I mean seriously, his argument is literally, "I like him more than some other analysts do for intuitive reasons I can’t explain very clearly". That's the kind of statement I expect from derpi-Braves around here, not a professional prospect writer.

Anyone who still thinks this highly of Allard clearly isn't very knowledgeable about prospects. The fact his blurbs just spout off stats easily scraped from each player's page makes it even worse.

I would just stick with Longenhagen and Kiley. Kiley still has some clear Braves bias cooking, but he is still pretty good...and EL is by far the best in the public sphere. You'll see their player blurbs full of scouting takes on the prospect, most of which are from first hand viewings.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-30-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    Prospecting is far from an exact science. Bold prediction time.... Allard comed into spring training throwing harder.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Kinda disqualifies the whole list, and him as an "expert", imo. I mean seriously, his argument is literally, "I like him more than some other analysts do for intuitive reasons I can’t explain very clearly". That's the kind of statement I expect from derpi-Braves around here, not a professional prospect writer.

Anyone who still thinks this highly of Allard clearly isn't very knowledgeable about prospects. The fact his blurbs just spout off stats easily scraped from each player's page makes it even worse.

I would just stick with Longenhagen and Kiley. Kiley still has some clear Braves bias cooking, but he is still pretty good...and EL is by far the best in the public sphere. You'll see their player blurbs full of scouting takes on the prospect, most of which are from first hand viewings.
    I thought you liked Ben whoever the best
    Coppy

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-31-2018), jpx7 (10-30-2018), UNCBlue012 (10-30-2018)