Thread: Acuna Prefers To Hit Leadoff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    I have a hard time understanding how a player is better or worse based on his spot in the lineup.

Like, is Acuna a in the batter's box facing a 98 mph fastball thinking to himself, "since I'm in the lead off spot, I'll hit this damn thing"

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I have a hard time understanding how a player is better or worse based on his spot in the lineup.

Like, is Acuna a in the batter's box facing a 98 mph fastball thinking to himself, "since I'm in the lead off spot, I'll hit this damn thing"
    Not sure that many here can legitimately answer that question since they haven't had a bat in their hands facing one - kinda just one of those things you have to take at face value. If that's where they tell you they're most comfortable, should we assume they have no reason for feeling that way and they're lying?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure that many here can legitimately answer that question since they haven't had a bat in their hands facing one - kinda just one of those things you have to take at face value. If that's where they tell you they're most comfortable, should we assume they have no reason for feeling that way and they're lying?
    But when you're in the batter's box, the context of what spot of the lineup you're in is completely invisible.

If you have a man on second with 1 out, what is the difference of whether you're in the leadoff spot or the cleanup spot?

The Braves should optimize the lineup in which the most runs are expected to score.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    But when you're in the batter's box, the context of what spot of the lineup you're in is completely invisible.

If you have a man on second with 1 out, what is the difference of whether you're in the leadoff spot or the cleanup spot?

The Braves should optimize the lineup in which the most runs are expected to score.

As much as it pains many to hear it, it just doesn't work that way - these guys aren't robots (or computers). When they look out there, they don't see a RHP or LHP on the mound - they realize that's deGrom or Kershaw. Their mind doesn't suddenly flash their splits.

You really don't think the thought that "Markakis and Flowers are hitting behind me, so if I don't get that guy in right here, we're screwed" popped into Freddie's mind during the second half more than a couple times last season?

Makes it a little tougher to get to that 98 MPH heater - you squeeze the bat a little tighter, try to get your swing started a little earlier, etc.. Comfort-level with the things surrounding you can certainly get in the way at times.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts

That is true but there is the context of the pitchers psychology. First at bat of the game is a unique scenario. A lot of teams have fast guys with little power hitting leadoff. A starter can throw some 'get me over strikes' with little fear of a HR. With Acuna they start the game with a stressfull at bat. This early they might not have full control of their breaking pitches. I just dont see any reason to mess with what worked.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,384 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    That is true but there is the context of the pitchers psychology. First at bat of the game is a unique scenario. A lot of teams have fast guys with little power hitting leadoff. A starter can throw some 'get me over strikes' with little fear of a HR. With Acuna they start the game with a stressfull at bat. This early they might not have full control of their breaking pitches. I just dont see any reason to mess with what worked.

True but wouldn’t it be More stressful for a pitcher to face Acuna With a guy on base 35% of the time. If we could find such a guy
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    True but wouldn’t it be More stressful for a pitcher to face Acuna With a guy on base 35% of the time. If we could find such a guy

Seems like he came up with men on base all the time in the leadoff spot after the first at bat of the game. I know those 8th and 9th place at bats feel a lot different with Acuna looming than Ender Inciarte even if he could be a consistent .350 OBP hitter. I will take Acuna mashing no matter the batting order. If he likes leadoff I think we should listen to the player until a good leadoff option emerges.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.