Page 22 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: The Don

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Remember, the Don has advocated a single payer healthcare system (that actually plays well with blue-collar Ds and more and more with populist Rs), stricter gun control, and tax hikes. And those are on top of his social views and his sexual braggadocio (affairs with married women). Again, he's no conservative. Cretin, yes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (01-25-2016)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    I just can't bring myself to voting for this clown. I'm in disbelief and, frankly, disturbed, he's leading in the polls the way he is.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-08-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Trump may skip the debate Thursday night because of Megyn Kelly being one of the moderators. What a dope he is.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/trump...boycott/282936

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    So with Primaries and Caucuses around the corner, here's what polls are saying.

Dems - Bernie wins NH, Almost all recent polls have Sanders up by double digits. He should crush Hillary. In Iowa, it's a cointoss. Polls have had Bernie winning comfortably, Hillary winning comfortably, etc. could totally go either way. I'd lean towards Hillary though.

Reps - Almost all polls have Trump manhandling the competition. I don't think he wins the state easily, but he could win it. He's predicted to win it. But can people actually pull the lever for him? In Iowa it's more or less a cointoss between Cruz and Trump, most are predicting Cruz to win it but he's on a nasty downwards spiral.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Here's to Hillary being indicted and Trump and Cruz getting into fight and someone - anyone - blowing by of them.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Once the establishment decides to back Rubio he'll roll away with it all. Right now they're still trying to make Jeb viable.

Would be great if Hillary was indicted and at a point it was way too late for anyone to get in because of something and Sanders gets it.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-25-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Remember, the Don has advocated a single payer healthcare system (that actually plays well with blue-collar Ds and more and more with populist Rs), stricter gun control, and tax hikes. And those are on top of his social views and his sexual braggadocio (affairs with married women). Again, he's no conservative. Cretin, yes.
    I think it's fair to say that he's not a conservative. You've made that clear, but in doing so you may have been a little cavalier about the fact that he is the fruit of the stuff that the republican party has been sowing for years. Sure, his political persona is a shallow, gassy bag of -isms (authoritarianism, nativism, nationalism), but the same large-C movement conservative boffins who are now harrumphing at him from the pages of the National Review are the people we have to thank for the phenomenon. Bill Kristol was Sarah Palin's first and loudest proponent, and Trump's schtick is a remix of her substance-free attack dog act. That same bunch propped up the bull****-tough-guy flightsuit persona of GW Bush and told us that compromise and nuance was the province of weaklings and Frenchmen.

I hear Trump ads constantly in my media market. It's basically three issues—border fence (nativism isn't strictly partisan but is dearly treasured within the strain of conservative thought that dominates around here), 2nd amendment, and "religious freedom." Sure, this is pandering, but this is also Trump presenting himself to a conservative electorate as a conservative candidate. I mean, maybe it's disingenuous, but it's not like he's telling those folks anything unorthodox, or anything other than what they want to hear. At this point, arguing about whether or not it's conservative is academic. He's giving the self-identifying conservatives exactly what they want, just with a different voice. Strip away the insults and the showboating, and his message is the same as that of his closest competitors . The folks in the field who are different are irrelevancies at this point.

FWIW, Ted Cruz's response is to bring out the Duck Dynasty patriarch.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-25-2016), jpx7 (01-27-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think it's fair to say that he's not a conservative. You've made that clear, but in doing so you may have been a little cavalier about the fact that he is the fruit of the stuff that the republican party has been sowing for years. Sure, his political persona is a shallow, gassy bag of -isms (authoritarianism, nativism, nationalism), but the same large-C movement conservative boffins who are now harrumphing at him from the pages of the National Review are the people we have to thank for the phenomenon. Bill Kristol was Sarah Palin's first and loudest proponent, and Trump's schtick is a remix of her substance-free attack dog act. That same bunch propped up the bull****-tough-guy flightsuit persona of GW Bush and told us that compromise and nuance was the province of weaklings and Frenchmen.

I hear Trump ads constantly in my media market. It's basically three issues—border fence (nativism isn't strictly partisan but is dearly treasured within the strain of conservative thought that dominates around here), 2nd amendment, and "religious freedom." Sure, this is pandering, but this is also Trump presenting himself to a conservative electorate as a conservative candidate. I mean, maybe it's disingenuous, but it's not like he's telling those folks anything unorthodox, or anything other than what they want to hear. At this point, arguing about whether or not it's conservative is academic. He's giving the self-identifying conservatives exactly what they want, just with a different voice. Strip away the insults and the showboating, and his message is the same as that of his closest competitors . The folks in the field who are different are irrelevancies at this point.

FWIW, Ted Cruz's response is to bring out the Duck Dynasty patriarch.

^^^ Point taken. I will though say that I think many of those on the ideological left (like Sav?) are being a bit too cavalier here as well in their assumptions. I suppose my point is that for all of us, that may be arguing more ideological positions, is that maybe we aren't really in tune with what a reality-TV, popular culture, electorate really gives a hoot about. Looks to me, at this point, that Trump does and panders to it. That's why I don't think it's particularly helpful pushing the left-right spectrum at this point in trying to understand what's going on. That smacks to me of us just trying to hang on to our old and comfortable narratives.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    ^^^ Point taken. I will though say that I think many of those on the ideological left (like Sav?) are being a bit too cavalier here as well in their assumptions. I suppose my point is that for all of us, that may be arguing more ideological positions, is that maybe we aren't really in tune with what a reality-TV, popular culture, electorate really gives a hoot about. Looks to me, at this point, that Trump does and panders to it. That's why I don't think it's particularly helpful pushing the left-right spectrum at this point in trying to understand what's going on. That smacks to me of us just trying to hang on to our old and comfortable narratives.
    Beds, Julio said everything I wanted to say just articulated it 100x better.

Trump is a reflection of what conservatives have evolved into in the last 4 election cycles to today (08,10,12,14). It doesn't matter what the textbook definition is, the "conservative" base of today are pro-Patriot Act, pro-War, Pro-Israel, Pro-Life, Anti-Immigration, Anti-Islam, Anti-Gun Control, Anti-Same Sex Marriage, Anti-Welfare, etc. The conservative movement has been slowly leading up to this moment for 8 years. Would Ted Cruz or Donald Trump have been considered serious contenders for the nomination 12 years ago, 8 years ago, or even 4 years ago? GOP tried the moderate route twice in 08 and 12 and it backfired. It really hurt them in 2012, because as I mentioned before all the other candidates went after Romney at one point. He won the nom but only after a brutal primary season where he was everyone's punching bag on the right.

Ron Paul is by textbook definition a conservative, but why then do we have to use the term libertarian for him?

If people like Jeb are considered moderate, what would Ronald Reagan be considered in this Republican Party today if he ran? They'd attack him on gun control bill signed as Governor, raising taxes several times, increasing the size of government, and most of all signing an amnesty bill by compromising with liberals.Oh not even mentioning negotiating with Iran for hostages. Giving them guns like Fast & Furious. Both things he would be crucified for by Beck, Limbs, Cruz, Palin, etc. But they sure love them some Ronald Reagan though.

I mean you have someone like Cruz, who REFUSES to compromise with his own party on anything. Are you really telling me that the characters Cruz and Trump play, are not what the base has wanted for years but are now finally getting huge boners to?

Without Sarah Palin there is no Trump or Cruz personas. They may both be faking it, but clearly this brand of conservatism is what has been building up for years and years. I mean for crying out loud Bush signed prescription drugs, two stimulus bills, and TARP. He's still beloved by conservatives for "keeping us safe" when 9/11 happened on his watch and 10 embassies were attacked.

The GOP have been trying to get the Reagan Democrats back for a long time (those blue collar dems you speak of, also blue dogs). They realize now that they're screwed with Hispanics. Cruz and Trump were like the final twist of the knife for this brand of conservatives having a chance to win hispanics in the general. GOP tried having token Rubio to show off to impress hispanics, but his stances on Cuba and immigration have been so turned off to younger voters that he's alienated them too. Rubio was elected with the Tea Party wave of 2010, so how anyone can consider him "moderate" is beyond my imagination.

It doesn't matter if Trump's past views consider him a moderate or liberal. Whatever is coming out of his mouth right now, that conservatives love about him even if he is lying, they believe it. Trump is really just a metaphor for the base. I was wondering if Jeb or Christie (whom would be considered moderates I suppose) would have a chance to get in this like Romney and McCain did but after seeing the excitement and hype for Cruz and Trump I'm starting to think that won't become a reality.
    Forever Fredi

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-27-2016), Julio3000 (01-26-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I heard some stuff about Hillary being indicted, but I did not hear the "what fors". I'm not saying there aren't plenty of them, but what specifically are they after her about?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Trump is a reflection of what conservatives have evolved into in the last 4 election cycles to today (08,10,12,14). It doesn't matter what the textbook definition is, the "conservative" base of today are pro-Patriot Act, pro-War, Pro-Israel, Pro-Life, Anti-Immigration, Anti-Islam, Anti-Gun Control, Anti-Same Sex Marriage, Anti-Welfare, etc. The conservative movement has been slowly leading up to this moment for 8 years. Would Ted Cruz or Donald Trump have been considered serious contenders for the nomination 12 years ago, 8 years ago, or even 4 years ago? GOP tried the moderate route twice in 08 and 12 and it backfired. It really hurt them in 2012, because as I mentioned before all the other candidates went after Romney at one point. He won the nom but only after a brutal primary season where he was everyone's punching bag on the right.

Ron Paul is by textbook definition a conservative, but why then do we have to use the term libertarian for him?

If people like Jeb are considered moderate, what would Ronald Reagan be considered in this Republican Party today if he ran? They'd attack him on gun control bill signed as Governor, raising taxes several times, increasing the size of government, and most of all signing an amnesty bill by compromising with liberals.Oh not even mentioning negotiating with Iran for hostages. Giving them guns like Fast & Furious. Both things he would be crucified for by Beck, Limbs, Cruz, Palin, etc. But they sure love them some Ronald Reagan though.

I mean you have someone like Cruz, who REFUSES to compromise with his own party on anything. Are you really telling me that the characters Cruz and Trump play, are not what the base has wanted for years but are now finally getting huge boners to?

Without Sarah Palin there is no Trump or Cruz personas. They may both be faking it, but clearly this brand of conservatism is what has been building up for years and years. I mean for crying out loud Bush signed prescription drugs, two stimulus bills, and TARP. He's still beloved by conservatives for "keeping us safe" when 9/11 happened on his watch and 10 embassies were attacked.

The GOP have been trying to get the Reagan Democrats back for a long time (those blue collar dems you speak of, also blue dogs). They realize now that they're screwed with Hispanics. Cruz and Trump were like the final twist of the knife for this brand of conservatives having a chance to win hispanics in the general. GOP tried having token Rubio to show off to impress hispanics, but his stances on Cuba and immigration have been so turned off to younger voters that he's alienated them too. Rubio was elected with the Tea Party wave of 2010, so how anyone can consider him "moderate" is beyond my imagination.

It doesn't matter if Trump's past views consider him a moderate or liberal. Whatever is coming out of his mouth right now, that conservatives love about him even if he is lying, they believe it. Trump is really just a metaphor for the base. I was wondering if Jeb or Christie (whom would be considered moderates I suppose) would have a chance to get in this like Romney and McCain did but after seeing the excitement and hype for Cruz and Trump I'm starting to think that won't become a reality.

Pretty solid assessment here.

I still don't think Trump will win. But I'm getting less confident by the day

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Pretty solid assessment here.

I still don't think Trump will win. But I'm getting less confident by the day
    No kidding!! We truly are getting just what we deserve as a nation politically speaking. I wonder if the Republican party bosses regret yet how they treated Ron Paul a few years ago.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (01-26-2016), jpx7 (01-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I heard some stuff about Hillary being indicted, but I did not hear the "what fors". I'm not saying there aren't plenty of them, but what specifically are they after her about?
    Wouldn't take it too serious, Drudge has a report on her "Thyroid Drama" atop their page

Buried deep is speculation fueled by Tom Delay that the FBI is ready to indict
    There are so many false flags in that sentence
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-26-2016 at 10:08 AM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    John Rocker, the former Major League closer best remembered for his controversial comments about New Yorkers and his hot take about riders on the 7 train, tells the Daily Caller that he's "absolutely" endorsing Donald Trump. “I think he has really woken America up,” says Rocker.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Trump now says he most likely will not attend the debate this Thursday. Calls Megyn Kelly a third rate reporter. Amazing to me how she gets under his skin so much. If this is how he reacts when a reporter gets to him, how would he react if he won the presidency when he gets challenged by the likes of Pelosi, Reed, and Feinstein? How about world leaders like Putin and Castro, who aren't exactly friendly to America? This guy is a joke. As a Republican voter, I hope many others see him as the phony he is. Unfortunately, many of his supporters are blind sheep who refuse to see what the chump Trump actually is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Trump now says he most likely will not attend the debate this Thursday. Calls Megyn Kelly a third rate reporter. Amazing to me how she gets under his skin so much. If this is how he reacts when a reporter gets to him, how would he react if he won the presidency when he gets challenged by the likes of Pelosi, Reed, and Feinstein? How about world leaders like Putin and Castro, who aren't exactly friendly to America? This guy is a joke. As a Republican voter, I hope many others see him as the phony he is. Unfortunately, many of his supporters are blind sheep who refuse to see what the chump Trump actually is.
    Trump is just begging for someone to beat him. Perhaps a part of him is still sane after all.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-27-2016)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Trump saying he's definitely out now for Thursday. There go the ratings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Sav, my point and I'm not sure you are acknowledging it though is that Trump isn't beating the Pro-Life (heck, he's A PP defender) or Anti-SSM, or Small-Government, low-taxes, anti-big-government programs, etc., positions that have been the bread and butter of the previous cycles for the Rs. He's pushing the Putin style tough guy persona more than anything else. I don't think the base has become more conservative - they are being revealed as really being nationalist-populists and thus there's overlap into the Ds.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Sav, my point and I'm not sure you are acknowledging it though is that Trump isn't beating the Pro-Life (heck, he's A PP defender) or Anti-SSM, or Small-Government, low-taxes, anti-big-government programs, etc., positions that have been the bread and butter of the previous cycles for the Rs. He's pushing the Putin style tough guy persona more than anything else. I don't think the base has become more conservative - they are being revealed as really being nationalist-populists and thus there's overlap into the Ds.
    What do you make of the fact that Cruz is running second?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts