Page 966 of 1146 FirstFirst ... 46686691695696496596696796897610161066 ... LastLast
Results 19,301 to 19,320 of 22912

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Let’s give the defense the ball when they almost make an interception too. That is a careless throw by the offense anyway.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    So I'm assuming no Panthers player touched the ball when it went into endzone and out of bounds post-fumble?

If that's the case, then why are you against the rule out of curiosity? If the ball is fumbled whether the defense causes it or sloppy play by the offensive player, why should the offense get the ball back? Seems like a touchback is the most "neutral" decision here. Perhaps you can have the offense do a free punt like after a safety. But I mean, I feel like giving the ball back to the offensive player after they took the risk in trying to stretch the ball, is rewarding careless play.
    I am against it because the offense lost the ball out of bounds. There isn’t a recovery by the defense so how can you just award them the ball when they never physically possessed it? Out of bounds is out of bounds regardless if it’s the 10 yard line or the end zone.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I am against it because the offense lost the ball out of bounds. There isn’t a recovery by the defense so how can you just award them the ball when they never physically possessed it? Out of bounds is out of bounds regardless if it’s the 10 yard line or the end zone.
    But that's not true though.

Because if the fumble is recovered by the offense in the end zone territory it's a touchdown.

If the fumble is recovered by the defense in the end zone territory it's a turnover and touchback if the player gets down by contact or kneels in the endzone.

If a fumble goes out of bounds by the offense at any other part of the field, the ball is spotted where the ball went out of bounds, not where the fumble took place. So the offense actually gains yards if the fumble bounces forward and then out of bounds.

If an offensive player fumbles the ball in their own end zone and the defender recovers it's a touchdown, if the offensive player recovers and gets marked in same spot it's a safety.

So a touchback makes the most sense if you're trying to be neutral.

Frankly, offensive players already have it easier than defenders. Because a touchdown doesnt require a foot or body part to actually touch the endzone. The ball only needs to cross the plane. It's why I'm against the two feet in bounds for a catch rule. Why is it a runner can dive from the 3 yard line and just need to get the ball over the pylon to get a touchdown not actually needing to have any body part touch the endzond but a receiver cant use one foot to touch the field of play while maintaining complete control of the ball to be considered a catch. One foot or two feet doesnt make a difference if the player has firm control over it in his hands or arms.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    And awarding possession to the defense makes no sense. In order to possess the ball you actually ya know need to possess the ball at some point.
    A safety never requires a defender to actually touch the ball though. The offensive player gets sacked in the endzone it's a safety. You have punters that take a safety on purpose sometimes.

As I already mentioned, if an offensive player fumbles the ball at their own 47 but the ball bounced 5 yards forward and out of bounds the offense actually gains yards. Why is that ok? Wouldn't it be more fair to just have a rugby scrum for the ball since technically nobody had possession of the ball for 5 yards when the ball advanced up the field but went out of bounds? Or would it be more fair to the defense to just place the ball where the fumble occurred instead of giving the offense 5 extra yards.

You should also be against a quarterback being able to throw the ball away out of the pocket to avoid a sack. Intentional grounding in the pocket shouldnt be any different than intentional grounding outside the pocket. A QB can be called for grounding for throwing away a pass to avoid a sack in the pocket if theres no receiver near the intended pass. Why should a qb be able to run outside the pocket, survey the field and avoid a sack by throwing the ball 10 yards into the sidelines?
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    A safety never requires a defender to actually touch the ball though. The offensive player gets sacked in the endzone it's a safety. You have punters that take a safety on purpose sometimes.

As I already mentioned, if an offensive player fumbles the ball at their own 47 but the ball bounced 5 yards forward and out of bounds the offense actually gains yards. Why is that ok? Wouldn't it be more fair to just have a rugby scrum for the ball since technically nobody had possession of the ball for 5 yards when the ball advanced up the field but went out of bounds?
    The fumbled ball forward rule is stupid, I agree. I think under 5 minutes to go the ball is placed back at the spot where it was fumbled though. So there is no advancement allowed at that point in time. Why not be consistent with this rule no matter what? No advancement period.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    The fumbled ball forward rule is stupid, I agree. I think under 5 minutes to go the ball is placed back at the spot where it was fumbled though. So there is no advancement allowed at that point in time. Why not be consistent with this rule no matter what? No advancement period.
    But why 5 minutes.

I've never understood why rules should change arbitrarily based on how much time is left on clock. Football is the only sport that does this if I'm not mistaken. The 2 minute warning was only implemented as a TV timeout for advertisers.

Baseball the only time the rules change are after the 7th inning, booth reviews are done on all close plays and you cant challenge anymore. Or the 5 inning rule for an official game.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    If you're going to remove the fumble touchback. Then you should remove all forward or reverse progress from a fumble and just make it be down wherever the fumble happened.
    t sucks when a fumble/touchback happens, but it happens so rarely. Sure it could be addressed. To me the only "fair" way to fix it is any fumble out of bounds regardless of where it leaves the field the ball is returned to the original line of scrimmage a 5 yard penalty and loss of downs is applied.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Congratulations to the Arizona Cardinals. You have won the right to have the top overall pick in the NFL Draft. Top 20 selections:

1. Arizona
    2. San Francisco
    3. New York Jets
    4. Oakland
    5. Tampa Bay
    6. New York Giants
    7. Jacksonville
    8. Detroit
    9. Denver
    10. Buffalo
    11. Cincinnati
    12. Green Bay
    13. Miami
    14. Atlanta
    15. Washington
    16. Carolina
    17. Cleveland
    18. Minnesota
    19. Tennessee or Indianapolis
    20. Pittsburgh
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Wonder if someone vaults up draft boards for QB or not. The class was already weak, but with Herbert staying in Eugene the QB spot gets worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Wonder if someone vaults up draft boards for QB or not. The class was already weak, but with Herbert staying in Eugene the QB spot gets worse.
    Hard to tell. This is not going to be a strong QB class, as you mentioned. With Herbert staying in school for next season, he’ll be in the draft in 2020 with the possibility of Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm both eligible that year, some teams may wait until then.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Hard to tell. This is not going to be a strong QB class, as you mentioned. With Herbert staying in school for next season, he’ll be in the draft in 2020 with the possibility of Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm both eligible that year, some teams may wait until then.
    Just looking at the top 10. Arizona, SF, and NYJ seem to be set at QB. Not in my opinion necessarily, but have invested highly in that position and aren’t taking a QB. Oakland is the first shoe to drop in my mind. Carr can be that guy, but needs to surrounded by a play makers and a strong running game. Gruden claims to like Carr, but why would he say other wise. Tampa has a decision to make with Winston and I think Koetter is gone before the draft and quite possibly the GM. Strong candidate for a new QB. NYG need to find Eli’s replacement, but like CC said this is a weak class and maybe they wait another season and continue to build the team up with weapons to help the new QB. Jacksonville, Detroit, and Denver are definitely potential QB teams. I love Staffordakd think he can play, but does Patricia.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Whaddya got for playoffs?

Colts @ Texans
    Chargers @ Ravens

Eagles @ Bears
    Seahawks @ Cowboys

Texans, Chargers, (although sucks they have to travel across the country) Bears, Seahawks.

Chargers over Chiefs
    Patriots over Texans
    Chargers over Patriots

Saints over Seahawks
    Rams over Bears
    Saints over Rams

Saints over Chargers like I predicted before the season.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Texans d colts
    Chargers d Ravens

Cowboys d seahawks
    Eagles d Bears

Patriots d Texans
    Chiefs d Chargers

Rams d Cowboys
    Saints d Eagles

Patriots d Chiefs
    Saints d Rams

saints d patriots 28-3
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Falcons fired Sark, but I don't really think it was that wise. Despite big injuries to Freeman and Fusco/Levitre hurt their offense and they still managed to be the 8th most efficient in the NFL. Defense was the issue and honestly injuries played a mega huge part as Neal, Jones, and Allen were all hurt, but that shouldn't have sunk the entire ship. At some point the guy who're supposed to be great need to play great or ship out. Trufant and Alford are getting big bucks and playing second rate football. Beasley hasn't lived up to his hype. And we got nothing out of any DL except Jarrett. McKinley was good for a kid and I think those 3 should be fine but they need some depth.

Falcons head into next season with little cap space and lots of issues. COleman is a freeagent, Schaub is a free agent, Julio still needs a new contract, Levitre's out of contract, but most important, Jarrett is out of contract. And there's some ways to free up cap kind of creatively, but not that creatively and they'll have all kinds of issues. This draft is gonna be huge for Atlanta's success. Ryan posted near MVP numbers. After Mahomes, BRees and Rivers and lockstep with Roethlisberger was his DYAR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Denver, Washington, NYG, Jacksonville, and Miami could be QB hunting. I doubt any of them get aggressive for this class though.

ATL needs difference makers on the LOS. DL and OL. OL needs to be much better and DL doesn't make plays aside from Jarrett.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Antonio Brown looking worse and worse as the days go by. Calling Ryan Clark an "Unlce Tom" on social media for calling AB out.

Just an awful look from the guy who seems to pout more and more each day.
    Ivermectin Man

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Don't mind if Falcons bring back Koetter. Falcon's offense was pretty good when he was OC.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Don't mind if Falcons bring back Koetter. Falcon's offense was pretty good when he was OC.
    They were fine. 12th, 14th and and 10th in offensive efficiency under Koetter. None of them terrible numbers but none of them truly amazing either. There's worse hires the Falcons could make, but dropping from the 8/9 they've been under Sark to 10 or lower would be bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    My playoff predictions

NFC Wild Card: Cowboys over Seahawks, Bears over Eagles
    AFC Wild Card: Colts over Texans, Ravens over Chargers

NFC Divisional: Bears over Rams, Saints over Cowboys
    AFC Divisional: Chiefs over Colts, Ravens over Patriots

NFC Championship: Saints over Bears
    AFC Championship: Chiefs over Ravens

Super Bowl LIII: New Orleans Saints over Kansas City Chiefs