Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acuna out until the NLDS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    what is "over rest"
    Not in a groove, not used to seeing pitches, cold, bored, uninterested, getting girls pregnant, going out drinking, pulling a Eugene Robinson the night before the playoffs, etc... Basically whatever people do that get a lot of free time and their profession calls on them to be sharp...

This isn't rocket science guy.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 09-26-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Should have benched Acuna and Freeman back in June after we landed the death blows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (09-26-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Freeman's bone spurs grow faster while resting, and eventually poke out of his skin.

Acuna's overly healed left groin causes the right groin to be injured.

Soroka's rested arm causes his xwOBA to go negative and ruptures the space time continuum.

Markakis with fresh legs starts aging in reverse, and ends up as a 9 year old by the NLDS.

Many potentially dire consequences.
    Man - that is the best laugh I have had in a long time - thank you for posting that - I honest to God laughed out loud.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-27-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Not in a groove, not used to seeing pitches, cold, bored, uninterested, getting girls pregnant, going out drinking, pulling a Eugene Robinson the night before the playoffs, etc... Basically whatever people do that get a lot of free time and their profession calls on them to be sharp...

This isn't rocket science guy.
    you think one game off here and there more often would cause those things? they would've have "a lot of free time."

more rest is common sense guy.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    you think one game off here and there more often would cause those things? they would've have "a lot of free time."

more rest is common sense guy.
    Idle hands bro. Idle hands.

More rest may have meant we didn't land those June death blows, then where the hell would we be? In a division dog fight that's where. Having to play everyone every day.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Ya'll ever sleep real late (before kids) and wake up and be all tired the rest of the day? That's what this is going to be like. The first two games will be our tune back up and we will have our backs against the wall.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Ya'll ever sleep real late (before kids) and wake up and be all tired the rest of the day? That's what this is going to be like. The first two games will be our tune back up and we will have our backs against the wall.
    That’s what I’m afraid of. I hope Freeman and Acuna aren’t super rusty.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Like Freeman he's been playing hurt for a while.
    That was the one position going into the season where there was no legitimate back-up ready to step up and/or give Freeman a day off. Everybody on the bench has contributed and some have contributed bigly, but none of them were what I would call a passable first baseman. Those guys are usually fairly easy to find, but they all got absorbed by someone else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That was the one position going into the season where there was no legitimate back-up ready to step up and/or give Freeman a day off. Everybody on the bench has contributed and some have contributed bigly, but none of them were what I would call a passable first baseman. Those guys are usually fairly easy to find, but they all got absorbed by someone else.
    Literally any MLB position player would be a "passable first baseman" for 1 game a month. That's what we are talking about here...1 game a month for the young bucks, and maybe 2 games a month for the older guys.

Nobody is getting rusty by missing 4 PAs per month. Nobody is going to knock up a stripper because they didn't start a Thursday day game. Nobody is going to become bored with baseball and decide to join the Peace Corp because they sat the bench for 1 game.

What a bunch of silly comments...

The Dodgers have shown how to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Literally any MLB position player would be a "passable first baseman" for 1 game a month. That's what we are talking about here...1 game a month for the young bucks, and maybe 2 games a month for the older guys.

Nobody is getting rusty by missing 4 PAs per month. Nobody is going to knock up a stripper because they didn't start a Thursday day game. Nobody is going to become bored with baseball and decide to join the Peace Corp because they sat the bench for 1 game.

yeah, pretty much everyone can play a passable first. Muk played there when Freeman broke his wrist. Culberson, Camargo and Riley have done fine there this year in a handful of games. Duvall played third in the minors and would probably not embarrass himself at first. McCann played a little first with the Yankees. Cervelli has played there recently.

I remember Gattis getting tangled up in his footwork at first. It didn't look good but he managed to catch the throw and record the out.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-27-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    You guys just don't appreciate the intracacies of playing first base. Anyone here remember the late Andy Marte when everyone said "Put him at first base." Same goes for Riley.

But that aside, how is one game off a month going to help with Freeman's bone spurs?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    You guys just don't appreciate the intracacies of playing first base. Anyone here remember the late Andy Marte when everyone said "Put him at first base." Same goes for Riley.

But that aside, how is one game off a month going to help with Freeman's bone spurs?
    Well...last time his elbow issue popped up this year he took a day off for treatment and it went away for a while.

Are folks seriously still arguing that regular rest helps these players stay healthy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

It's more the inflammation that comes with bone spurs. A day or two off can help with that.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It's more the inflammation that comes with bone spurs. A day or two off can help with that.
    Well, he's getting a week off now. My primary point is that if Freeman were to have gone down and needed to go on the IL for a week or two, we really didn't have a back-up. We had everything covered except for that eventuality. Not a biggie because one can't prove the negative.

I've always thought it was good to give guys an occasional rest for the mental as much as the physical break. It isn't, as enscheff points out, going to be a surefire way to keep a guy healthy. I suppose if Acuna hadn't been in that specific game at that specific time and the ball hadn't been hit to that specific place, he wouldn't have strained his hip. But an injury like that could happen at any time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Markakis getting hit by a pitch and breaking a bone in his wrist can not be avoided by rest without the gift of foresight.

Acuna's strained groin is something he has been dealing with for a long time, and would absolutely be helped with more frequent rest.

I was unaware that rested players being less injury prone over the course of 6 months was suddenly a debatable conclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

This is all pure speculation and not based in facts. Francisco Cervelli retired from catching after a game this year, and Zobrist retired most of the year because of a crazy ex and whammo the Cubs missed the playoffs. You just never know. Don't let a day off get them complacent. Thankfully we convinced Cervelli him to unretire to guide us to more death blows. Not sure we could rest all these guys without his contributions.

The Pirates called him "Franky Death Blows"
    Ivermectin Man

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    There's enough joking in that post I'm loathe to take any of it seriously, but I'll point this out anyway: Cervelli came out the very next day after that article saying he was retiring from catching to say he was misquoted, and that he wasn't.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I’ve lost interest in whatever debate is happening.

Let’s just hope that after 2 years of guys wearing down and/or getting hurt at the end of the season due to lack of rest the Braves actually fix the decision making process next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-27-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in