Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: gdt 10.3.19: time to defrock these molestering cardinals and their enabler holbrook

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I stayed up all night last night wondering what I could have done differently to help us win. Only thing I can come up with is I washed my lucky Braves shirt.
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I stayed up all night last night wondering what I could have done differently to help us win. Only thing I can come up with is I washed my lucky Braves shirt.
    Pretty sure it was my fault. I switched from radio to tv after fried inning.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Very likely that if Acuña is on 3rd with 1 out that the infield plays in to cut off the run at home. That line drive is in the outfield and maybe even splits the outfielders for extra bases.
    Also possible it's a nothing burger and Acuna or Freeman get doubled up anyways.

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Held off on posting in the frustration but my thoughts below:

--Acuna item is being overblown as far as the impact but can understand why teammates are upset. Just run out of the box. Pretty simple. That said, its done, and the world needs to get over it. I view it less as him not trying (if the symptom was he didn't like to play hard, that would be a problem). Everyone knows he plays hard. He really just has a bad habit that bottom line needs to be eliminated. But overall I'm more excited that after a decade of witnessing our great postseason hitting sh**ting the bed, that Acuna in postseason = monster.

--Weird game overall. Neither team played a good clean game. Sucks to be on the wrong-end of a complete toss-up. Some bad-luck but we had numerous chances to break the game open and simply didn't come-up with big hits throughout the game

--Coming into the game my biggest concerns for Braves to play like we are capable of had been Acuna and Freddie coming out of their slump. So notwithstanding the devastating loss, to see both of them look good arguably gives you more confidence in rest of series than anything else that happened yesterday or coming into it. If they are both going to be hot, we should be scoring 5-8 runs a game

--Not to make stupid predictions but it does still have a feel that today may still just decide the series. We have our ace going game three to take control if we can get a win today and good chance Fried in game 4 which I feel good about.

--That said winning today is obviously unfortunately a tall task. Not ideal to have season on the line against hottest pitcher in baseball. We need a patient approach to just get him out of the game early. Can't overstate how important first two innings of today will be

--you just can't make it up that we have not led a series for 30 consecutive post-season games. I'd like to think its randomness playing a joke on us, but it truly is beyond belief

--Bullpen aside, I have confidence in this team and its ability to perform at a high-level offensively. I have not felt that way for most of our recent post-season runs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AJonesATL For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-04-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    So two plays that I really struggled with during the game was the Acuna steal in the first coming off a hip\groin issue on Molina, and the attempt to get Mac to third... I just don't get trying to press that action with either.
    The mac to 3rd was fine I thought at the time. But it seemed like Mac didn't know it was coming or he second guessed himself or something. He got a very late break. Like almost a full second went by before he broke to 3rd. And No way Mac can score from 2nd unless it's an XBH, so moving him to 3rd was the right move, imo. A bunt down the 1st base line would have been preferable however.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    There is a silver lining to take away from game 1:

The offense finally woke up after sleep walking through the first 8 innings of the postseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Silver lining about facing Flaherty tonight: his numbers in the 2nd half, while extremely impressive, are quite unsustainable so he's due some regression. Hopefully that regression manifests itself tonight. We roughed him up a bit earlier in Atl. Hopefully we can get him rattled a bit and score early and often. And obviously, hopefully Folty brings his A game tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    crazy game with lots of twists and turns

there is one tactical decision that stands out to me that has not been discussed much

I thought Melancon should have pitched around Carpenter in the 8th. Not intentionally walk him, but not give him anything in the strike zone. There were two outs with runners on first and second. The pitcher's spot was due up next and the Cards had already used up their best pinch hitters. Just Wieters and a couple weak-hitting right handed hitters left on the bench. I would have taken my chances on those guys.

The other decision I second guess was not using Flowers instead of Cervelli as pinch hitter/defensive replacement.
    I mentioned both of those when they happened. But with Carpenter, I thought it should be Newcomb brought in to face him since they couldn’t counter with Martinez, and Newcomb doesn’t have pronounced splits anyway.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I mentioned both of those when they happened. But with Carpenter, I thought it should be Newcomb brought in to face him since they couldn’t counter with Martinez, and Newcomb doesn’t have pronounced splits anyway.
    The fact Snitker was 0-3 and didn't bring in Newcomb
    1. When Wong was due in the 8th, let Jackson pitch.
    2. When Carpenter was announced to pinch hit.
    3. When Wong came up in the 9th and Melancon was already at 27 pitches and gassed.

The fact Snit didn't bring in Newk for any of those situations shows how outclassed he is and why the Braves need to move on from him.

Even Bobby wouldn't have made that mistake 3 times.

And again to make things worse, the fact he didnt bring Newk in sooner, Melancon is unavailable today because Snit left him in too long.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Assuming a competitive game one or both of Fried and Greene might have to go more than one inning.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Assuming a competitive game one or both of Fried and Greene might have to go more than one inning.
    Biggest lol today was braves fans on their facebook page defending Snitker for not pitching Max more than an inning because he was scheduled to start Game 4 on Monday.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    3. When Wong came up in the 9th and Melancon was already at 27 pitches and gassed.

The fact Snit didn't bring in Newk for any of those situations shows how outclassed he is and why the Braves need to move on from him.

And again to make things worse, the fact he didnt bring Newk in sooner, Melancon is unavailable today because Snit left him in too long.
    Acuña’s lack of hustle is cancerous and caused Snitker to make those mistakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post

Why people aren’t talking about this is mind boggling. Yes, Acuña should have run. It’s a mistake. But these three mistakes by Snitker are infinitely more worse. How can a manager miss three simple decisions over the course of two innings. Incredibly stupid.

With Acuña you can talk, yell, scold and likely fix it. With Snitker you just can’t fix stupid. If a scenario presents itself outside of the ones AA presented Snitker with ahead of a game, he’s just not going to have the mental capacity to think on his toes and make the correct decision.

I just wish someone would address this and bring these mistakes to light instead of dwelling on someone not running hard.