Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Three-way talk

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Sources: #Braves continue pushing 3B Chris Johnson in trade proposals, including deals in which he would be attached to another player.

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    #Braves used same model when they required #Padres to take Upton Jr. to get Kimbrel. #SFGiants among teams with no interest in Johnson.

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    One way those clubs could line up $$$ would be Johnson, Maybin for Peavy, Pagan. Sources say that precise combination was not discussed.

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Peavy, in first yr of two-yr deal with full no-trade clause, one of four SPs under contract to #SFGiants in ’16. Pagan still valued by club.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Also, I realize that the title has nothing to do with actual trade discussed ... but, it's the 4th.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    I was talking about a 3 way last night and my wife slapped the sh!t out of me

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

Heyward (07-04-2015), JohnAdcox (07-06-2015), Knucksie (07-06-2015), The Chosen One (07-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I was excited at the thread title.

Now I'm not excited we are using Maybin to dump CJ's salary.

I suppose Pagan could be another guy that reclaims his prior value.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    I was talking about a 3 way last night and my wife slapped the sh!t out of me
    I think the term is manajatwa!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I didn't mind tethering BJ to Kimbrel- Upton's contract was onerous enough that unloading it was a significant priority, and Kimbrel was good enough that we were still able to get a solid prospect in Wisler.

I don't like the same strategy with CJ and Maybin. For one, Johnson's contract, while bad, isn't that awful in the modern salary environment. Another two seasons at an average of $8.5 million, with a $1 million buyout...you want to be rid of that, but that's not really an imperative. And Maybin won't merit the same sort of return if tied to a bad contract. So we'd end surrendering a reasonably solid trade asset (and reasonably solid player) for not much return, all so we can get rid of a contract that isn't that bad.

The Kimbrel-Upton trade took a lot of economic pressure off the franchise, and with the new park just a season and a half away we shouldn't be in a position where we have to scrounge up every last dime. If we don't want Johnson on the team and no one is willing to trade for him, just eat the contract. We have the freedom to do so.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (07-04-2015), jpx7 (07-04-2015), Perfect Cell (07-05-2015), thethe (07-04-2015), TXBravesFan (07-04-2015), UNCBlue012 (07-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Maybin/Johnson for Peavy/Pagan makes no sense. Don't even think it saves money.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Maybin has a pretty solid contract, if a team offers a good prospect for him, maybe.

But i wouldnt put him in to get another bad contract off the books

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    So quit crying about it. Are you even a fan?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Heyward (07-04-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think the main issue with cj is he takes up a roster spot and a position. In the offseason unload him and eat 75% if the contract.

We need talent to be good next year and in 2017. Don't give it away. What are we going to do with the extra money? Are we landing two big free agents? Bc if that is the plan we should be selling everything off to protect the draft pick

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Yeah, we'd owe CJ 17.5 mil including his buyout, and Maybin would technically be 9 mil for next year and buyout. So it'd be 26.5 mil versus 23 mil for Peavy and Pagan. Considering we could easily trade Maybin at these point we'd basically be losing money in the deal.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think the main issue with cj is he takes up a roster spot and a position. In the offseason unload him and eat 75% if the contract.

We need talent to be good next year and in 2017. Don't give it away. What are we going to do with the extra money? Are we landing two big free agents? Bc if that is the plan we should be selling everything off to protect the draft pick
    Money isnt even a big deal, there isnt much money locked up next year.

They should have plenty to sign some FA's next year if they want too.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Original tweet has mets fans interested on Johnson. Why not trade Johnson to them and split cost 50/50?

Division rival I know but just make the best deal.

I'd hate to lose a real asset over this guy. Esp when we can take on arroyo for a guy so far away. Just eat some money. It's the wren way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'd sell CJ just for half the cash. No question about it. They have prospects to spare as well.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    It would be by far the dumbest thing Hart has done. No need at all to sacrifice Maybin. He's been pretty productive for us this year and we finally have a little stability in center. No rush to trade CJ in July unless you're trying to construct the roster to make a pennant push. And we have A LOT of holes to fill if that's the case.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-06-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Depends on how you view Mallex Smith. If he's as good as he has looked, then maybe the Braves feel like he's ready for an end of season call up. Until then they could play Eury there. If you can move Johnson at the cost of Maybin and get nothing back but give up no cash, then it's definitely worth doing. Even if you have to eat "some" salary, it's probably still worth doing.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Depends on how you view Mallex Smith. If he's as good as he has looked, then maybe the Braves feel like he's ready for an end of season call up. Until then they could play Eury there. If you can move Johnson at the cost of Maybin and get nothing back but give up no cash, then it's definitely worth doing. Even if you have to eat "some" salary, it's probably still worth doing.
    I couldn't disagree with you anymore. The CJ contract isn't all that bad anymore and Maybin would be a major upgrade in left field both offensively and defensively.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    No its not.

Trading Maybin with CJ just to get his contract off the books is dumb.

And CJ's deal isnt even THAT bad, its not good but hardly BJ bad.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I look at it like this: Could moving them both off the books, one bad, one ok and the money that they are owed provide better results elsewhere with the money saved in the future (next year OR 2017).

Johnson is dead weight. And, while is contract isn't Melvin horrendous, it's not good, no matter how you slice it at: $7.5M in 16, $9M in 17 and a $1M buyout in 18.
    Maybin is actually getting paid about what he's worth right now. He could regress and become a bad contract like he was when he came over from the Padres or he could progress and ultimately become a contract bargain or he could stay as he is right now. He's at: $8M in 16 and $9M in 17 or a $1M buyout.

So, the question is can the Braves find a better player for the team in 2016 for the $15.5M they clear (that doesn't even take into consideration the $19M (with Johnsons buyout) in 17. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a CF, if you believe the Mallex Smith hype or a 3B. It could be spent anywhere to strengthen the team.

I think the best answer is to clear the contracts. Get something back if you can. But, don't get hung up on it. It creates freedom to do many things in the offseason like: sign a FA that you wouldn't have had the money for before or make another bad contract plus young talent acquisition.

And, it even benefits the Braves if you assume that the Braves will be worse this year without Maybin since it's a race to the bottom at this point anyway. Middle of the pack does the rebuilding Braves very little good. Being bad one year (or even two) is not the worst thing in the world as long as you don't have idiots running the show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I look at it like this: Could moving them both off the books, one bad, one ok and the money that they are owed provide better results elsewhere with the money saved in the future (next year OR 2017).

Johnson is dead weight. And, while is contract isn't Melvin horrendous, it's not good, no matter how you slice it at: $7.5M in 16, $9M in 17 and a $1M buyout in 18.
    Maybin is actually getting paid about what he's worth right now. He could regress and become a bad contract like he was when he came over from the Padres or he could progress and ultimately become a contract bargain or he could stay as he is right now. He's at: $8M in 16 and $9M in 17 or a $1M buyout.

So, the question is can the Braves find a better player for the team in 2016 for the $15.5M they clear (that doesn't even take into consideration the $19M (with Johnsons buyout) in 17. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a CF, if you believe the Mallex Smith hype or a 3B. It could be spent anywhere to strengthen the team.

I think the best answer is to clear the contracts. Get something back if you can. But, don't get hung up on it. It creates freedom to do many things in the offseason like: sign a FA that you wouldn't have had the money for before or make another bad contract plus young talent acquisition.

And, it even benefits the Braves if you assume that the Braves will be worse this year without Maybin since it's a race to the bottom at this point anyway. Middle of the pack does the rebuilding Braves very little good. Being bad one year (or even two) is not the worst thing in the world as long as you don't have idiots running the show.
    Maybin has a below market value contract.
    Natural Immunity Croc