Page 191 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 911411811891901911921932012412916911191 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,820 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Isn't it fair to say that investigations, particularly of complicated international financial transactions, aren't resolved overnight?
    If the investigations are indeed as complicated as you are making them out to be, then how is it that you feel so comfortable walking away from that article with a definitive notion of foul-play at hand?

There's literally nothing in the four paragraphs you posted which leads someone in that direction (especially given Manafort's public consulting history) unless you are specifically itching to make connections. Which has been the case in practically everything Manafort related. The man was a high-level political consultant in Eastern Europe FFS -- of course there's going to be ties.

There could very well be a Russian connection with Manafort that links to collusion and the Trump administration, but that doesn't mean that we have to treat every dribble of Sbiten as damnable proof until the time comes when that piece is unearthed.
    Last edited by Hawk; 03-23-2017 at 12:08 PM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    If the investigations are indeed as complicated as you are making them out to be, then how is it that you feel so comfortable walking away from that article with a definitive notion of foul-play at hand?

There's literally nothing in the four paragraphs you posted which leads someone in that direction (especially given Manafort's public consulting history) unless you are specifically itching to make connections. Which has been the case in practically everything Manafort related. The man was a high-level political consultant in Eastern Europe FFS -- of course there's going to be ties.

There could very well be a Russian connection with Manafort that links to collusion and the Trump administration, but that doesn't mean that we have to treat every dribble of Sbiten as damnable proof until the time comes when that piece is unearthed.
    I don't think that article, or the investigation to which it refers, necessarily has any connection whatsoever to Trump campaign collusion. Now, it does speak to the judgement of the Trump team, potentially, but it doesn't prove collusion, though it's arguable that it leaves another circumstantial door open.

You're being pretty cavalier, IMO, about the fact that he's apparently under (multiple) criminal investigations. And your "bloodhounds" comment speaks as much to your bias as your accusations do to mine.

I wonder if you have an opinion as to why his Eastern European consulting connections aren't simply disclosed and transparent.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    That's possible. My reading is admittedly one-sided. I'd suggest Karen Dawisha's Putin's Kleptocracy, Masha Gessen's The Man Without a Face(which features a nice retelling of the Bob Kraft Super Bowl ring story), and Bill Browder's Red Notice, which covers the Magnitsky affair.
    Well, unfortunately, there isn't much (legitimate) literature stemming from Russia which accurately portrays the state of affairs that isn't predicated entirely on anti-Putinism. I'm more curious about modern Russian society, as most citizens have a positive (or, rather, positively apathetic) view toward Putin. I'd recommend Peter Pomerantsev's Nothing is True and Everything is Possible to that score.

I agree with the conclusion of the NYT editorial that the oligarchic system has deep roots in Russia, and that it will outlive its current master. That's still kinda eliding the point that there is a master. This article casts Putin as a referee among competing power centers. Ok, this may make it difficult to do business in a frictionless way, but it's hardly suggesting that he's not the boss--a distant first among equals. If Sechin disagrees with Timchenko who disagrees with Medvedev, they're all his creatures (at least two of them are) and owe their position to his patronage. They're beefing with each other, not bucking the boss.
    But if Sechin and Timchenko and Medvedev all disagree with Putin, then there's trouble. Putin may nominally be the boss, but in my interpretation that 'boss' is more akin to a captain of a baseball team or a president of a company than it is to any kind of Generalissimo or Supreme Leader.

Not exactly timely.
    I noted that, but I don't think it belies the point at all. In fact, I think it demonstrates - in rawest terms - exactly why Putin climbed into bed with the oligarchs and how the system has blossomed. You contend that Putin has marginalized non-Family oligarchs and/or replaced them with loyalists, which is true, but it also shouldn't (and doesn't) take us a default setting of constant peace in the Black Sea dacha. Power mongers gonna monger.

So if you want to say that the "power vertical" is an exaggeration, maybe you're right, but nothing here says that it's a myth.
    All I've said, and sourced, is that assertions of a unilateral power structure with Putin at the top and the oligarchs significantly below are disingenuous.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I don't think that article, or the investigation to which it refers, necessarily has any connection whatsoever to Trump campaign collusion. Now, it does speak to the judgement of the Trump team, potentially, but it doesn't prove collusion, though it's arguable that it leaves another circumstantial door open.

You're being pretty cavalier, IMO, about the fact that he's apparently under (multiple) criminal investigations. And your "bloodhounds" comment speaks as much to your bias as your accusations do to mine.
    My comment about 'bloodhounds' was in the context of Manafort 'lying' about connections to Russia (re: Trump campaign collusion). The hounds are in over-drive trying to find treasonous behavior, but, it's not untrue: they haven't turned anything worth anything up yet.

Look, I'm okay with you sending Manafort somewhere cold and dark (he literally freaks me out) for taking illegal payments during the sanctions period. But I suspect him meeting his demise on those grounds wouldn't be enough to satiate you.

I wonder if you have an opinion as to why his Eastern European consulting connections aren't simply disclosed and transparent.
    I don't know Julio, maybe because it's bad for business to transparently proclaim you've taken money from mass murderers.
    Last edited by Hawk; 03-23-2017 at 12:58 PM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    who knew Mel Brooks would have predicted the future in some way with Blazing Saddles?

"For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Well, unfortunately, there isn't much (legitimate) literature stemming from Russia which accurately portrays the state of affairs that isn't predicated entirely on anti-Putinism. I'm more curious about modern Russian society, as most citizens have a positive (or, rather, positively apathetic) view toward Putin. I'd recommend Peter Pomerantsev's Nothing is True and Everything is Possible to that score.

But if Sechin and Timchenko and Medvedev all disagree with Putin, then there's trouble. Putin may nominally be the boss, but in my interpretation that 'boss' is more akin to a captain of a baseball team or a president of a company than it is to any kind of Generalissimo or Supreme Leader.

I noted that, but I don't think it belies the point at all. In fact, I think it demonstrates - in rawest terms - exactly why Putin climbed into bed with the oligarchs and how the system has blossomed. You contend that Putin has marginalized non-Family oligarchs and/or replaced them with loyalists, which is true, but it also shouldn't (and doesn't) take us a default setting of constant peace in the Black Sea dacha. Power mongers gonna monger.

All I've said, and sourced, is that assertions of a unilateral power structure with Putin at the top and the oligarchs significantly below are disingenuous.
    I think that's reasonable and good food or thought. And yeah, "constant peace" is not really something that I think is realistic under this system. I'm just not sure we've ever reached a point where, to use your example, Timchenko and Sechin and Medvedev are all aligned against the boss. Captain of the baseball team doesn't quite get there, IMO, but I take your point.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I think that's reasonable and good food or thought. And yeah, "constant peace" is not really something that I think is realistic under this system. I'm just not sure we've ever reached a point where, to use your example, Timchenko and Sechin and Medvedev are all aligned against the boss. Captain of the baseball team doesn't quite get there, IMO, but I take your point.
    And trust me, I yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    My comment about 'bloodhounds' was in the context of Manafort 'lying' about connections to Russia (re: Trump campaign collusion). The hounds are in over-drive trying to find treasonous behavior, but, it's not untrue: they haven't turned anything worth anything up yet.

Look, I'm okay with you sending Manafort somewhere cold and dark (he literally freaks me out) for taking illegal payments during the sanctions period. But I suspect him meeting his demise on those grounds wouldn't be enough to satiate you.

I don't know Julio, maybe because it's bad for business to transparently proclaim you've taken money from mass murderers.
    If there's no evidence of collusion, so be it. I think you've misread or misrepresented my position here. That's independent of whether Paul Manafort should be in bracelets if there's some other reason for it.

it's bad for business to transparently proclaim you've taken money from mass murderers.

And there are some nasty blind spots in the law and public opinion about people like Manafort (and plenty of consultants who've worked for Democrats) who get rich on overseas blood money. If he's done that in way that contravenes American law, I hope he goes down for it.

He was involved in a Trump campaign that directly advocated weakening our partnership with NATO and building closer ties with Russia. Purely as a matter of policy, I'm concerned about that. The appearance of a campaign with him--and his sketchy associations--at the top, advocating for that policy, is distressing to me. That's subjective and based on my political leanings, for sure, but the genesis of that concern surely has some real-world grounding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    After one day of negotiation on the new health care bill, the great deal-maker says he's done. Vote Friday or keep Obamacare.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    After one day of negotiation on the new health care bill, the great deal-maker says he's done. Vote Friday or keep Obamacare.
    That's what great deal makers do. The Take it or leave it approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    There are some politically well versed mother ****ers in here. How the hell do y'all get anything done during the day?
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Chipper (03-24-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    If Obamacare is not replaced it will be Trump in trouble.

The members of the freedom caucus are in very safe districts. They have nothing to lose. Trump's dealmaking skills would come into question and have zero credibility. Those members can easily sell that Trumpcare is worse than Obamacare and come out of their districts unscathed.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    That's what great deal makers do. The Take it or leave it approach.
    That is short game ****
    Those that are good at governance understand long game and know how to play it.

Against the Dallas Cowboys with Ezekiel Elliot it is about the 4th quarter. Not splash plays

To those that think government should be run like a business.
    How many business' left from 1792 ?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    That is short game ****
    Those that are good at governance understand long game and know how to play it.

Against the Dallas Cowboys with Ezekiel Elliot it is about the 4th quarter. Not splash plays

To those that think government should be run like a business.
    Is our government the same as it was in 1792?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (03-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    1613 Shirley Plantation Farm
    1632-33 Tuttle's Red Barn Farm
    1639 Field View Farm Farm
    1642 Barker's Farm Farm
    1667 Seaside Inn Hotel
    1673 White Horse Tavern Restaurant
    1680 Saunderskill Farm
    1690 Towle Silversmiths Silversmith
    1705 The John Stevens Shop Stone carver
    1711 Orchards of Concklin Orchard
    1720s Smiling Hill Farm Farm (and lumber mill since 1970s)
    1736 Lakeside Mills Corn products
    1741 WD Cowls Lumber
    1752 Caswell-Massey Perfume
    1760 Lorillard Tobacco Company Tobacco
    1764 The Hartford Courant Newspaper
    1765 Baker's Confectionery
    1774 Ames Manufacturing
    1776 The Griswold Inn Restaurant and Hotel
    1778 Dowse Orchards Farm
    1778 Greenbrier Hotel
    1778 Willow Grove Inn Hotel
    1780 Laird & Company Distillery
    1785 Bixler's Jewelry
    1785 Turpin Farms Farm
    1786 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Newspaper
    1787 Hayes Coffee
    1790 King Arthur Flour Flour and baking
    1792 CIGNA Insurance
    1792 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft Lawyers
    1792 New York Stock Exchange Stock Exchange
    1792 Old Farmer's Almanac Almanac
    1792 State Street Banking

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

57Brave (03-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    1613 Shirley Plantation Farm
    1632-33 Tuttle's Red Barn Farm
    1639 Field View Farm Farm
    1642 Barker's Farm Farm
    1667 Seaside Inn Hotel
    1673 White Horse Tavern Restaurant
    1680 Saunderskill Farm
    1690 Towle Silversmiths Silversmith
    1705 The John Stevens Shop Stone carver
    1711 Orchards of Concklin Orchard
    1720s Smiling Hill Farm Farm (and lumber mill since 1970s)
    1736 Lakeside Mills Corn products
    1741 WD Cowls Lumber
    1752 Caswell-Massey Perfume
    1760 Lorillard Tobacco Company Tobacco
    1764 The Hartford Courant Newspaper
    1765 Baker's Confectionery
    1774 Ames Manufacturing
    1776 The Griswold Inn Restaurant and Hotel
    1778 Dowse Orchards Farm
    1778 Greenbrier Hotel
    1778 Willow Grove Inn Hotel
    1780 Laird & Company Distillery
    1785 Bixler's Jewelry
    1785 Turpin Farms Farm
    1786 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Newspaper
    1787 Hayes Coffee
    1790 King Arthur Flour Flour and baking
    1792 CIGNA Insurance
    1792 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft Lawyers
    1792 New York Stock Exchange Stock Exchange
    1792 Old Farmer's Almanac Almanac
    1792 State Street Banking
    I asked !

duPont ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Is our government the same as it was in 1792?
    yes -- why would you think not? Because we have evolved ---
    We still operate under the same constitution - we still have 3 branches of government as spelled out in 1791 etc etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I asked !

duPont ?
    1802 DuPont Chemicals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Visiting Longwood Gardens many years ago I thought I remembered that the foundation of the duPont fortune was gun powder for the Revolutionary War.
    Or like we Pennsylvanians like to call it The War of British Aggression

I could Google it but seems like a fun thing to talk about on a slow news day