Thread: Introductions Are In Order II

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I called Bill a "pimp" after someone posted a picture of him appearing on ESPN's Cold Pizza. He did not appreciate it thought I meant it to be nice. I enjoyed Bill's input on the board, though he was a bit defensive at times. The Atlanta Baseball show podcasts were looked forward to always. I wish him well.

I'm late to this party, as usual. But here it goes.

I'm James from Southern Oregon. Been here since fastball.com, AccessAtlanta, Fanhome (Noc's board as I was told), Scout, and the invitation to join this community. I enjoy time with my wife and 2 kids, love Atlanta Braves baseball, Tabasco products, hikes in our little paradise of the world, and peace and quiet (not that it happens much).

Been a Braves fan since the early 80's when it was Dale and those other guys. Have only been to 1 game at Turner Field, which we left early from sweltering heat. Have to saying I liked Fulton County Stadium better, perhaps thru the memories of rose colored glasses. Most the games I've attended were in San Francisco, where the fans are always wild, and you spend most of the game wishing you weren't frozen.

I'm a wannabe pilot/paramedic struggling to survive a few medical issues preventing such, but the dream is alive. I play cello in the Umpqua Chamber Orchestra, was a nightclub DJ in the 90's, and spend way too much time playing flight simulator.

I love going to church, wish I were better at praying, and try hard not to be a loose cannon at work where I work registration in a very busy ER.

Though a bit cheeky on the board sometimes, I'm actually pretty mild to be around. I'd die before saying something offensive to someone.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-28-2014), GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Julio3000 (04-26-2014), TDlxANDER (04-30-2014), The Chosen One (04-26-2014), TURBO (04-27-2014), zitothebrave (04-26-2014)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i have free candy
    Sounds legit to me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-28-2014), TURBO (04-27-2014)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    what i have learned from this thread

people didn't like my intro and there isn't one chick who posts here
    I've said some regretful things to you over the years, but I appreciate the difference you bring to the table, whether I remember to say so or not. Love the pix and stories of the travels most of us could only dream of.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-26-2014), jgriff3029 (04-27-2014), The Chosen One (04-26-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    GovClintonTyree is actually Tom, a 50 YO Gator lawyer in Seattle, who moved from Atlanta a few years back because the ex-Mrs. Gov is a bigger asshole than Bill Shanks (I was banned for telling him he was thin-skinned - oh, the irony. One night I just got tired of the arrogance, vitriol, ego and stupidity and told him how I felt. Same thing happened, now that I think about it, with the ex-Mrs. Gov.).

I became a Braves fan in Richmond in 1970 when my dad took me to see the R-Braves and I saw Ralph Garr and Dusty Baker on the way up. Superstation helped in SoFlorida before they (sort of) got ML baseball.

I love a 1-0 game that takes an hour and forty-one minutes and have been blessed to pull for what must be the greatest pitching franchise in history. I've passed that along to 11 yo LilGuv, who may be good enough to have a post high school future.

I can't believe how successful we've been at developing pitching since Schuerholz retired but am wondering who angered the baseball Gods after four all-star caliber starters (Hanson, Jurrjens, Medlen, Beachy)flamed out early.

Edit: The new Mrs. Gov wants me to point out that I'm now happily married to a hot redhead who is acquiring a deep appreciation of baseball. Which is true.
    The only thing that surprises me about this is that you live in Seattle. Chapeau, Gov. You're one of my all time-favorite posters.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), The Chosen One (04-26-2014)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriff3029 View Post
    Zane Smith was my first favorite player.
    That makes you a novelty! The broadcast said they saw someone the other night with a Chris Resop jersey. Was that you?

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcway View Post
    Why not? My name is Waylon. 33 and married. Born, raised and continue to live in the Bahamas.
    I grew up in a house full of Yankee fans, 3 brothers and both parents. Can't remember exactly when I started watching the Braves, somewhere between 91 and 93 when my parents got a b.u.d. (big ugly dish for you youngsters out there).
    Naturally watched the Braves since they were on every night on tbs.
    Can't remember what year I joined most of you. It was before Scout.
    Never been to a Braves game. Three spring training games for the Braves and a couple Yankee spring games with my family when I was a teenager. Once drove by Fulton County Stadium in the mid 90's but no game :-(
    Never once? That ain't right. I saw we all start a paypal account, and contribute towards the cause!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-26-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    That makes you a novelty! The broadcast said they saw someone the other night with a Chris Resop jersey. Was that you?
    Actually, me, too. I saw Zane Smith in AA . . . he was the first Braves player that I felt a personal connection to. He was also the first bright spot in the ****-show that was the minor-league system at that point. Good call.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    lmao Chris Resop...
    Forever Fredi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

mossy (04-26-2014)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Name of Carp, short for my last name Carpenter. I also go by Kevin. Just turned 29 this past Saturday.

I've been a Braves fan as long as I can remember. My fondest memory of the Braves is when I was 7 yrs old. Went a game in August, 92 to watch the Padres. Didn't pay attention to most of the game, but it was tied going into the bottom of the 9th. Thats when Damon Berryhill sent one into the LF seats in walkoff fashion. The entire place went crazy. And this was back when we still sold out games pretty frequently.
    I was there! Was way up in the right field upper tank and couldn't see where it landed. Somehow I could have sworn it was the Astros, but the following link says you are correct.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...=berryda01&t=b

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-28-2014)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    The only thing that surprises me about this is that you live in Seattle. Chapeau, Gov. You're one of my all time-favorite posters.
    Me you, too, Julio. Mwah.

And now I finally understand the genesis of Julio3000. I was pretty sure you wasn't one of them high-end Latins.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (04-28-2014), The Chosen One (04-26-2014)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I was at a Braves game in '89 in Atlanta, was walking out the main concourse and ran into a childhood friend that lived in my home town in Southern California. What are the odds I'd actually find someone I know? Attendance could have helped.........

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Hi, I'm Gary.

I like the Braves.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (04-28-2014), JohnAdcox (04-29-2014), jpx7 (04-28-2014), Julio3000 (04-27-2014), mossy (04-27-2014), The Chosen One (04-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Me you, too, Julio. Mwah.

And now I finally understand the genesis of Julio3000. I was pretty sure you wasn't one of them high-end Latins.
    My hustle and general playing of the game the right way must have tipped you off to the fact that I'm actually a white guy.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (04-28-2014), GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), jpx7 (04-28-2014)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Hello campers:

I was at the McGriff bonfire, arrived just after flames put out; covered replacement games during '95 spring training(!); got to write a book about baseball (Baseball in Chattanooga).

I am friends on a first name basis with the real Keith Lockhart. Hated to reveal that, but it's true. (How come I'm not a guru any more?)

My friends call me DJ.
    The McGriff bonfire was one of the most important games during our run. I saw it on TBS and jumped and hollered and yelled. So cool you got to be there.

God I miss Skip. That man was my favorite uncle :)
    Last edited by mossy; 04-27-2014 at 12:14 AM.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

Gary82 (04-27-2014), goldfly (04-27-2014), JohnAdcox (04-29-2014), Julio3000 (04-27-2014)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Nope, wish it was. Living in California, I have to watch the Braves play in SF like you. BTW I agree with your assessment of watching games in SF, although the new stadium is better than the Stick was. Was a Zane Smith fan because I got his autograph in San Francisco when I was like 8. Ironically I was a big Pete Smith fan too because he signed a ball that Smoltz gave me too.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    If more ladies posted here (and no, not the dude earlier in the thread who is confused on that front) I would definitely be forced to clean up my act a bit.

Maybe Keith should hire female moderators.
    Are you still mad because my introduction gave you a doctors office visit inducing 4 hour erection? I figured my 250+ testosterone laden posts would have been enough to convince most it was a joke.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I was there! Was way up in the right field upper tank and couldn't see where it landed. Somehow I could have sworn it was the Astros, but the following link says you are correct.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...=berryda01&t=b

Lol I had to look it up to be sure. I knew it was Berryhill and I was fairly certain it was either the Padres or Cubs we were playing, as this was one of the first games I remember going to. I would have been 7 yrs old then. Was sitting on the 3rd base line just under the overhang. I think we actually had bought nose bleed seats and then moved down to the lower level around the 7th inning.
    Last edited by Carp; 04-28-2014 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Good stuff from everyone.

My full name is Cy Alexander Young the 31st. I was born and raised in Nashville, Tennessee and currently live in Eugene, Oregon. I moved to Eugene in August for no other reason than ****s and giggles. Before that I lived in Pensacola, Florida for six months helping my dad with his karaoke business. I graduated from Austin Peay State University in December of 2012 with a degree in English and Technical Writing, a degree I'm currently doing nothing with. I dabbled in screenwriting in my young-younger days but am currently writing songs exclusively. I've been computer-less since about September, and do pretty much all of my posting and moderating on my Nintendo and phone.

I discovered Scout around 2004 after getting fed up with the braves.com board and have never looked back. SAV and I started our own Braves website/forum called Tomahawk Talk around 2005ish, but I was forced to leave after not agreeing with SAV on subscription fees (he wanted them, I didn't). We've since come to an understanding, and here I am.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 04-28-2014 at 03:24 AM.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-28-2014), jpx7 (04-28-2014), Julio3000 (04-28-2014), mossy (04-29-2014), TDlxANDER (04-30-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Another great in-person memory is sitting along the right field line when Hinske went deep against the Giants in the playoffs in 2010.

We went on to lose the next inning, thanks to a ****ty ump and micro-management of the bullpen, but that moment was amazing. Never heard Turner Field so loud.
    I agree. Me and my Dad went to this game together for his birthday. This was the first postseason game ever for me and the 2nd one for my dad. I had just started my new job with the state making more money than I had ever made before (though honestly, still not very much) and wanted to get my a dad a nice gift. I found some left center field tickets for sale on site called Vivid seats for about $75 a piece, which was about 20-30 bucks cheapers than petty much any other website I found.

The emotional roller coaster I experienced on that night was indescribable. I remember in the 1st inning when Posey came to bat, the entire crowd broke out into a chant of "HEYWARD'S BETTER!" clap, clap, clap-clap-clap. I can't remember any place I've been going as crazy as the Ted did after Hinske hit that homer. I was high fiving every single person around me. I also remember being extremely angry at Brooks Conrad. The entire stadium wanted to lynch him. I can't even begin to imagine how crappy he must have felt after that game. Then I remember being extremely depressed after watching the 9th inning unravel right in front of me as our 3 best relievers all **** the bed.
    Last edited by Carp; 04-28-2014 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I too was at that Hinske/Conrad playoff game. It was both the greatest live sports viewing moment of my life, and the worst.