Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    well, politics is one sided.
    That is Kinda the point
    Evidence is aplenty.
    Did you think Burr and Hamilton dueled over a football bet ?

But, in the past 40-50 years it is only structured and broadcast as one sided when (D) exercises any of its constitutional power over (R)
    Funny how that seems to work.
    ///////////
    I have no idea where you're going with the last 40-50 years comment. I honestly don't.

Complaining about a flaw in one political party and giving the other party a pass when the flaw is universal is a bad take. I encourage people to shake off the blind loyalty and hold leaders of their own party to the same standard they'd hold leaders of the other. Don't just assume your favored party isn't doing the same underhanded and irresponsible stuff simply because they're your party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    jeez, what was going on 40-50 years ago ?

We started off this conversation over the implications of the Bork nomination
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Ever notice I have never quoted Ben Shapiro ?
    I don't read anyone on Twitter for political analysis. I loathe being told how to think on topics much less to be told in a limited number of characters.

I urge you not to use Twitter as an echo chamber either. Look at what's going on, look at how all the players are acting, and draw your own conclusions. If you have an ounce of sense you'll eventually realize how bad 99% of the takes out there really are and how blinded most people are by their own partisan leanings.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (09-22-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    who is told how to think ?
    2 sentences later I am advised to get out of the bubble.
    What would attract one to any of the "bubbles"
    What attracts you to the bubble you live in
    and please dont say you are the exception

I hear that from many who parrot Fox and Limbaugh all the while telling all they dont pay attention to them.

Twitter is not there to read for political analysis but a soapbox on a street corner.
    I find writers that I generally agree with that are far more eloquent than I and make clearer points
    No more -- no less

My politics have been evolving since the days of JFK. If anything they have become far more "left" than in my 20s
    My family in my early teens were staunch Nixon Goldwater people

The more history I read it seems things aint the way they should be.
    Lower taxes, enforced racism, pandering to the 1% and deregulation seem to be a constant
    that creates a selfishness that I abhor.

People would be banned on twitter for voicing those opinions
    Last edited by 57Brave; 09-22-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    jeez, what was going on 40-50 years ago ?

We started off this conversation over the implications of the Bork nomination
    Many don’t remember Bork. He was a right winger. He was the guy who fired the special prosecutor for Nixon after three other Nixon officials refused.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Bork was Barr before Barr.

Another of the Joe McCarthy school of governance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    who is told how to think ?
    2 sentences later I am advised to get out of the bubble.
    What would attract one to any of the "bubbles"
    What attracts you to the bubble you live in
    and please dont say you are the exception

I hear that from many who parrot Fox and Limbaugh all the while telling all they dont pay attention to them.

Twitter is not there to read for political analysis but a soapbox on a street corner.
    I find writers that I generally agree with that are far more eloquent than I and make clearer points
    No more -- no less

My politics have been evolving since the days of JFK. If anything they have become far more "left" than in my 20s
    The more history I read it seems things aint the way they should be.

Lower taxes, enforced racism, pandering to the 1% and deregulation seem to constantly rear their ugly heads
    I used to tow the party line. I was as partisan as you could possibly be. If it agreed with my point of view it was the truth and if it disagreed it was a dirty lie.

Then I went to college and studied political science. It gave me a much clearer picture of how government and politics actually works. Knowing how the sausage gets made can't help but open your eyes some. Still, it wasn't enough. I was still a strong partisan.

Then I went to law school. A good law school will teach you one skill above all others. That skill is to divorce yourself from your preconceived notions, analyze a problem, and think of all possible arguments regarding it. In fact, that describes how you take a law school exam. You are given a fact pattern and you have to argue both sides.

Applying that skill to my takes on politics radically transformed how I approached things. Statement I had once bought hook, line, and sinker I now saw as pathetic attempts to bamboozle me. Arguments I thought were once so air tight I saw as nothing more than trite lines with no real substance.

While I'm no means immune to the normal confirmation biases all humans are subject to, I do believe I'm part of a minority who actually makes and attempt to think critically about their political views instead of blindly trusting political leaders.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (09-27-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    It's pretty simple. Trump should nominate someone and have it go through the normal process. Justice Ginsburg and literally every democrat said as much 4 years ago.

The flip-flopping of each party depending on who it benefits is amusing though. Just confirms what we already know which is they don't really care about anybody but themselves/party.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (09-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    It’s started...

Handmaid's Tale? U.S. Supreme Court candidate's religious community under scrutiny

(Reuters) - Some have likened People of Praise, a self-described charismatic Christian community, to the totalitarian, male-dominated society of Margaret Atwood's novel "The Handmaid's Tale."

Others call it an ultraconservative group with an unusual mix of Roman Catholic and Pentecostal traditions.

In any case there has been renewed interest in the group since U.S. President Donald Trump put one of its purported members, Judge Amy Coney Barrett of the Seventh District Court of Appeals, on his short list of candidates for elevation to the Supreme Court.

ADVERTISEMENT

The group has declined to confirm or deny whether Barrett was a member since a New York Times article in 2017 said she was in the group, citing unnamed current and former members.

The group's spokesman declined initial requests from Reuters for comment and said Overall Coordinator Craig Lent was unavailable for an interview. The spokesman later agreed to take questions by email but did not immediately respond.

Barrett did not immediately respond on Tuesday to requests for comment made through a clerk at the Seventh Circuit.

People of Praise has about 1,700 members in 22 cities in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean, according to its website, and was founded in 1971 in South Bend, Indiana, also the home of the Catholic-led University of Notre Dame.

"We admire the first Christians who were led by the Holy Spirit to form a community," the website says, tracing its origins to the late 1960s when students and faculty at Notre Dame experienced "a renewal of Christian enthusiasm and fervor, together with charismatic gifts such as speaking in tongues and physical healing."

Its most devoted members make a lifelong commitment to the group, known as a covenant.

ADVERTISEMENT

From 1970 until recently, women with leadership roles in the organization were called handmaids, but the popularity of the 2017-to-present Hulu television series "The Handmaid's Tale," based on Atwood's 1985 book, appears to have led to a change.

"Recognizing that the meaning of this term has shifted dramatically in our culture in recent years, we no longer use the term handmaid," the group said after the 2018 media interest.

Coral Anika Theill, a former People of Praise member from decades ago, has described the group as an abusive cult in which women are completely obedient to men and independent thinkers are humiliated, interrogated, shamed and shunned.

Theill, who self-published a book about how her ex-husband dragged her through a number of religious groups, said she was campaigning to stop Barrett from being nominated.

Theill left People of Praise in 1984 but said she has remained in contact with others associated with the group, believing little had changed. Last year she wrote a blog post entitled "I lived the Handmaid's Tale."

"A lot of us suffered Stockholm syndrome and many of the women were on anti-depressants and tranquilizers," Theill said. "If you were super submissive, maybe you wouldn't be dragged in the middle of the night to an interrogation meeting."

ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas Csordas, a scholar of comparative religion at the University of California, San Diego, said he would not consider People of Praise a cult, instead saying it was "very conservative."

He said Theill's story was similar to ones he had heard from other Catholic charismatic groups.

"There are a number of these covenant communities and some are more authoritarian than others," Csordas told Reuters.

"I don't think that People of Praise has caused her (Barrett) to be as conservative as she is. I think that she's doubtless a member of People of Praise because she already was that conservative."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The Catholic Church encompasses a range of traditions and practices. Could be an interesting teaching moment.

I don't think Barrett's religious beliefs are disqualifying. It is likely they will inform some of her legal views, but supreme court justices are humans not robots. Robo umps are closer to realization than robo justices.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Oh I'm sure the knives will be out to attack this ultra successful woman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Personally, I don't think the senators should delve into her religious beliefs. And I hope that will be the case in the future if there is a Hindu, Muslim, Taoist or atheist nominee. Or adherent of Qism. Well maybe not that far.

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Personally, I don't think the senators should delve into her religious beliefs. And I hope that will be the case in the future if there is a Hindu, Muslim, Taoist or atheist nominee. Or adherent of Qism. Well maybe not that far.
    Senators? I would hope not but who knows these days. The media? CNN will attack those of the christian faith and FOX will attack the rest.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Senators? I would hope not but who knows these days. The media? CNN will attack those of the christian faith and FOX will attack the rest.
    Senators accused a guy of running a gang rape circle with zero evidence.

They will foam at the mouth at the opportunity attack Christianity as some sort of white supremacy cult that is too dangerous to move forward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Agreed. If someone is worried that her religious beliefs inform her views on the law, delve into her views on the law. I don't see her religious affiliations to be a germane subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Agreed. If someone is worried that her religious beliefs inform her views on the law, delve into her views on the law. I don't see her religious affiliations to be a germane subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The media will write about it. And I'm sure opinion columnists and the twitterati will weigh on it. It is a story. But not central to the question of whether she should be confirmed.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Old article about Sotomayor's religious background. It is always interesting to learn a bit about the justices as human beings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/u...catholics.html

There is a little tidbit in there about Clarence Thomas that I think I once knew, but had forgotten:

Justice Thomas is an African-American convert who once went to seminary, left the church for 28 years and rejoined in the mid-1990s.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-22-2020 at 03:36 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    From the Sotomayor article:

Lucas A. Powe Jr., a professor of law and government at the University of Texas, Austin, said Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas and Alito are “Catholic and movement conservatives.”

“That combination is just golden for being anti-abortion and anti-affirmative action,” said Mr. Powe, author of “The Supreme Court and the American Elite, 1789-2008” (March 2009, Harvard University Press).

Justice Kennedy, who wrote two decisions favoring equal rights for gay people, is a “country club Republican,” which Mr. Powe described as “an economic conservative without some of the social conservatism.”

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Gorsuch grew up Catholic but now appears to be an Episcopalian. That's what happens to people who go off to Oxford and marry a local lass.

"I am your retribution."