Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: GDT: 9/21 Fish Fry In Atlanta

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Nola and Wheeler better go CG every time then, because their bullpen is easily the worst in the league. their depth stinks everywhere so they can't sustain any injuries. not scared of them.
    A lot of people said that about the Sand fleas last year. The Faillies pen is bad but they have a few guys who can close it down. Harper, JTR, and Hoskin could easily carry the offense with minor contributions from others.

I am not saying they would win it all. Just they have the pieces to do so. I am pretty certain most here though the sand fleas were going to get crushed and they almost did in the wild card game.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    We want the Phillies to make the playoffs. Nothing could be better for the Braves than for the Phillies to keep that entire front office.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    A lot of people said that about the Sand fleas last year. The Faillies pen is bad but they have a few guys who can close it down. Harper, JTR, and Hoskin could easily carry the offense with minor contributions from others.

I am not saying they would win it all. Just they have the pieces to do so. I am pretty certain most here though the sand fleas were going to get crushed and they almost did in the wild card game.
    I didn’t. I knew the Nationals had a good team that was much better built for the postseason than the regular season, and they were already really good in the regular season.

Anything can happen, but Nola/Wheeler is not Strasburg/Scherzer/Corbin.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    So the Braves are going to end up with either the Marlins, Cards, Reds, Phillies, Brewers, or Giants.

Which is the best 1st round opponent for the Braves? Of those teams only the Cards have a positive run differential at +8 with the Marlins being the worst at -27 (primarily thanks to the 29-9 beat down)

Just a quick glance I'd say the Giants or Brewers would be my top choice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    The Braves are likely to rely heavily on the BP, so give me the opponent with a set lineup most susceptible to platoon matchups vs the good BP arms on the Braves roster.

A team like the Dodgers or Rays has a versatile roster that can counter punch well against any BP moves the Braves make.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

define “a lot of people.” the trashionals were super unlucky at the start of the season last year and it was obvious. their run differential was always solid and the roster was clearly good. the phillies aren’t similar to them in any way, shape, or form. the nationals were also built better, with a clearly deeper roster.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    And just like that, Philly is out of the playoffs. But i suspect this thing is going to come down right to the final game/series of the season.

And agreed with Super, unless Nola/Wheeler pitched CG's, they'd stand no chance vs LAD. Dodgers would destroy that bullpen. And the JTR trade wasnt a failure by any means, it was a win now move once they got Harper. Trading Sixto was going to be what it took to get him. They could have kept Sixto, and kept building but they wanted a win now move at the time. Will be interesting to see JTR's market in free agency, going to be a very rich man.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

Nats had a solid lineup, and a pretty good top 4 of Corbin, Stras, Sanchez, and Scherzer. Always though if anyone could knock off LA, it was them. Philly isnt quite in that realm.

Nats also were super unlucky to start the year, and had one of the top records in baseball after their poor start.