Thread: Playoffs discussion 2020

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Reds making the playoffs is very intriguing. They have the horses in the rotation to do some damage. Of course I say intriguing until the Braves draw them and then it’s not so interesting lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-25-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You nailed it. Preller goes out and makes flashy moves, and all the mouth breathers declare him a genius. Then those same mouth breathers bash AA for his measured approach.

Meanwhile, AA has built a 3x division champion, while the Padres have won nothing...and yet Preller is a great GM according to the fools grading off seasons and trade deadlines.

It's very easy to cheer for that character to fail.
    I frankly don't know how Taylor Trammell will work out. He hasn't hit the big leagues yet but has still managed to get three stamps on his professional baseball passport, but (and it's a small sample size) Austin Nola is rocking a .654 OPS since heading down the coast and he was a career minor leaguer who hit the majors at age 29 for a crappy franchise. Maybe Altavilla and Adams help a bit, but the Mariners got Ty France in the deal as well, so I don't think the deal looks especially good for Preller right now.

It does need to be noted that with Nola heading to the Padres, former Braves' minor leaguer Joseph Odom is logging considerable time in Seattle and batting a lusty .097 in 31 ABs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-24-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    To be fair the Friers are just now hitting that contention window. They have a lot of young talent and more on the way. Also the Braves would not have won 3 division titles in a row if they played in the west. Hard to compete against the money of the Dodgers.

Now will preller be able to keep this thing going. What happens in a few years when that young pitching gets expensive or Tatis is making 20+ million in arb1. Many is already eating 20+ million.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    An interesting development in the Central. Cubs losing again today and if that holds the Cards would be 1 back in the loss column. At that point if they end up tied the Cards would own the tiebreaker against them.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    It's looking good for the 2nd spot at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I frankly don't know how Taylor Trammell will work out. He hasn't hit the big leagues yet but has still managed to get three stamps on his professional baseball passport, but (and it's a small sample size) Austin Nola is rocking a .654 OPS since heading down the coast and he was a career minor leaguer who hit the majors at age 29 for a crappy franchise. Maybe Altavilla and Adams help a bit, but the Mariners got Ty France in the deal as well, so I don't think the deal looks especially good for Preller right now.

It does need to be noted that with Nola heading to the Padres, former Braves' minor leaguer Joseph Odom is logging considerable time in Seattle and batting a lusty .097 in 31 ABs.
    Nola has had some pretty bad luck with the Pads, but that seems to even out from the incredible amount of good luck he had in Seattle this year. Currently, his batting line is near identical to last year's, save for a bit of extra power. But he's a 30 year old catcher, so I'll be surprised if the Pads get 3 good years out of him.

I know next to nothing about France, but he has hit every he's been and has the ability to play multiple positions (though it doesn't appear he plays any of them particularly well). Trammell I believe is a 50 grade prospect. So Preller traded a 50 FV grade prospect, a utility player with a starter quality bat, and a couple other useful pieces for a 30 year old catcher and 2 BP pieces. Pretty terrible value there, imo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-24-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    To be fair the Friers are just now hitting that contention window. They have a lot of young talent and more on the way. Also the Braves would not have won 3 division titles in a row if they played in the west. Hard to compete against the money of the Dodgers.

Now will preller be able to keep this thing going. What happens in a few years when that young pitching gets expensive or Tatis is making 20+ million in arb1. Many is already eating 20+ million.
    Preller’s first year was an “all in” attempt to contend and everyone exclaimed how awesome he was as a GM. They won nothing and then completely tore things down. Folks conveniently forget that type of outcome when they are blabbering about “trying to win” and “flags fly forever”.

He’s been the Gm since 2014, and SD hasn’t done anything.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-24-2020), DirkPiggler (09-25-2020), jpx7 (09-24-2020), Southcack77 (09-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I want the scenario where the Cards are forced to play the double header on Monday in Detroit. Sucks that they would still get a day off on Tuesday as the NL Wildcard series doesn't start until Wednesday.
    I want the scenario where the Cards lose all remaining games and a cheating scandal comes to light that makes the Stro's look good and they are forced to sell the franchise to Montreal and change their name to the Mounties.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-24-2020), jpx7 (09-24-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    An interesting development in the Central. Cubs losing again today and if that holds the Cards would be 1 back in the loss column. At that point if they end up tied the Cards would own the tiebreaker against them.
    Pirates are absolutely b*tch-slapping them.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Nola has had some pretty bad luck with the Pads, but that seems to even out from the incredible amount of good luck he had in Seattle this year. Currently, his batting line is near identical to last year's, save for a bit of extra power. But he's a 30 year old catcher, so I'll be surprised if the Pads get 3 good years out of him.

I know next to nothing about France, but he has hit every he's been and has the ability to play multiple positions (though it doesn't appear he plays any of them particularly well). Trammell I believe is a 50 grade prospect. So Preller traded a 50 FV grade prospect, a utility player with a starter quality bat, and a couple other useful pieces for a 30 year old catcher and 2 BP pieces. Pretty terrible value there, imo.
    I don't know what to really think about Trammell. When a guy gets moved that often early in his career, it usually (but not always) means one of two things: (1) other teams covet him and see him as a solid major league player, or (2) the team for which he plays has watched closely enough to believe he's overrated and as such are willing to let him go.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I want the scenario where the Cards lose all remaining games and a cheating scandal comes to light that makes the Stro's look good and they are forced to sell the franchise to Montreal and change their name to the Mounties.
    Well there is that.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    The cubs with another offensive explosion. Clearly the 2nd best offense.
    Coppy

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-24-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Brewers and Cardinals begin a 4 game series tonight to end the season. Could have huge ramifications on the playoff seeding
    No could about it. Brewers could sneak in or if Cards win 3/4, they're toast. Lot of big series this weekend that will determine playoff seedings.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Giants currently up 3-1, top 4 vs the Rockies. They finish with 4 against the Padres. Those final 2 spots going to be a very wild race to the finish. Marlins finish with us tonight and 3 in the Bronx.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Brewers and Cardinals begin a 4 game series tonight to end the season. Could have huge ramifications on the playoff seeding
    It's actually a 5 game series believe it or not. Double header tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    No could about it. Brewers could sneak in or if Cards win 3/4, they're toast. Lot of big series this weekend that will determine playoff seedings.
    Imagine if the Cardinals have to play a double header on Monday vs the Tigers, which at this point seems likely they will. They won't be able to set their playoff rotation

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-25-2020), jpx7 (09-24-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Giants currently up 3-1, top 4 vs the Rockies. They finish with 4 against the Padres. Those final 2 spots going to be a very wild race to the finish. Marlins finish with us tonight and 3 in the Bronx.
    Unless the Phillies catch the Marlins, they are going to be locked into a 5th or 6th seed since they’ll finish 2nd in the division. We will play a WC team more than likely.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Imagine if the Cardinals have to play a double header on Monday vs the Tigers, which at this point seems likely they will. They won't be able to set their playoff rotation
    Honestly it seems pretty set for them as is. They are using Flaherty on Friday and Wainwright on Saturday. Neither would be available for that double header and are in position to go games 1 and 2 for the wild card round. They have managed that well.

That being said. Will they have to make those 2 games up if it were to only effect seeding? Would they forfeit 2 games even if it meant they dropped from the 5th/6th spot to the 7th/8th spot?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Didn’t they get caught hacking other teams’ databases or something like that a few years ago? That sounds even worse than the trash can Astros.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-24-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Currently tied at 4 in the 5th
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.