Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs discussion 2020

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Honestly it seems pretty set for them as is. They are using Flaherty on Friday and Wainwright on Saturday. Neither would be available for that double header and are in position to go games 1 and 2 for the wild card round. They have managed that well.

That being said. Will they have to make those 2 games up if it were to only effect seeding? Would they forfeit 2 games even if it meant they dropped from the 5th/6th spot to the 7th/8th spot?
    From what I read they only play those games if there is an in-or-out proposition, and not for seeding. Seeding would be determined by their W-L record with the 58 games played.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-25-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Milwaukee has their backs against the wall. By the end of the night they will either be on the brink of elimination or in the thick of things. Giants also have a double dip today and have less margin of error since all they get is a wild card spot. Buckle up boys!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Milwaukee has their backs against the wall. By the end of the night they will either be on the brink of elimination or in the thick of things. Giants also have a double dip today and have less margin of error since all they get is a wild card spot. Buckle up boys!
    Red start a 3 game series tonight in Minnesota as well...the Reds are right behind the Cardinals and the Twins are just ahead of the White Sox.
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    They won game 1. **** is tightening up.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Brewers down 3-0 right now in game 2.
    Phillies tied in the 8th and the Marlins are beating the Yankees late as well.
    Giants about to take game 1 of their double header as well.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Marlins have secured second place in the division I believe. Nonetheless they have punched a ticket to the postseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    I think its safe to say the Phillies have phailed in their rebuild

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think its safe to say the Phillies have phailed in their rebuild
    I guess they should have spent more “stupid money” than they did...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    The faillies aren’t dead yet. You guys are going to upset the freaking baseball gods again and they are going to go on a run to win it all. Like all that sand flea death blow last year. We all know the baseball gods like to torment Braves fans and you guys are asking for it.
    Coppy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

drewdat (09-26-2020), jpx7 (09-26-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The faillies aren’t dead yet. You guys are going to upset the freaking baseball gods again and they are going to go on a run to win it all. Like all that sand flea death blow last year. We all know the baseball gods like to torment Braves fans and you guys are asking for it.
    Zero chance they win it all, and slimmer chance they get in. You need a good bullpen in October, and the Phillies bullpen is horrible. They're also playing the Rays this weekend, they are done. Also what the Nats did last year was a once in a blue moon kinda thing. Rarely if ever would happen again.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Phillies rebuild has been horrible. Mainly because they've failed to develop anyone on the farm, and it's why they have to use free agency to build their team which is always a risky proposition.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    We really need the Reds to lose today and the Giants to win.
    I believe our offense will score against anyone
    But I’m starting to believe the Reds are the next best team behind the Dodgers and Braves and they are playing the best baseball they have all year.
    I really don’t want to face that SP in round 1.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzworm For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-26-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    We really need the Reds to lose today and the to giants win.
    I believe our offense will score against anyone
    But I’m starting to believe the Reds are the next best team behind the Dodgers and Braves and they are playing the best baseball they have all year.
    I really don’t want to face that SP in round 1.
    Yeah, Castillo/Bauer/Gray is a scary ass pitching trio. Even as good as our offense has been, good pitching always beats good hitting. And with our rotation being shaky or mainly just young/inexperienced, cant afford to get down early vs that rotation. If the Reds win and Cards lose tonight, i think the Reds would jump the Cards. Or even if Reds lose and Cards lose, Reds would jump them i believe.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yeah, Castillo/Bauer/Gray is a scary ass pitching trio. Even as good as our offense has been, good pitching always beats good hitting. And with our rotation being shaky or mainly just young/inexperienced, cant afford to get down early vs that rotation. If the Reds win and Cards lose tonight, i think the Reds would jump the Cards. Or even if Reds lose and Cards lose, Reds would jump them i believe.
    Ideally, the Reds end up fifth or eighth—but with the Giants blowing game-two last night, the former seems likelier than the latter. So the Marlins and Cardinals dropping the next two, and the Reds winning out, is probably the best-case scenario now.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Ideally, the Reds end up fifth or eighth—but with the Giants blowing game-two last night, the former seems likelier than the latter. So the Marlins and Cardinals dropping the next two, and the Reds winning out, is probably the best-case scenario now.
    Marlins not helping the cause: up 3-0 already over the Yankees. Bottom half of the AL bracket is playing pretty embarrassingly down the stretch.

That fifth-seed might not be as scary as it seemed a week ago, if the Padres have indeed lost both Clevinger and Lamet for the first-round.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Marlins not helping the cause: up 3-0 already over the Yankees. Bottom half of the AL bracket is playing pretty embarrassingly down the stretch.

That fifth-seed might not be as scary as it seemed a week ago, if the Padres have indeed lost both Clevinger and Lamet for the first-round.
    deathblow

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Phillies rebuild has been horrible. Mainly because they've failed to develop anyone on the farm, and it's why they have to use free agency to build their team which is always a risky proposition.
    They've developed some guys, but they have moved a number of them in trades. Klentak seems to run the team like a ten-year-old looking at the back of baseball cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Hoskins has been pretty solid for them. And Nola has been great obviously. But outside of that, they failed to develop Kingery who was a top prospect and they already signed long term. Their pitching prospects like Pivetta, Eflin and Velazquez haven't been good. Sixto of course they traded. Bohm is looking really good. Moniak turning into a bust as the #1 pick really hurt.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Cleveland has played themselves into a first round series against the Yankees. I’d much rather be the 7 seed and take on either Oakland or Minnesota like the White Sox draw might be.
    The 1/8 is set with Tampa and Toronto clashing.
    Houston is locked in as the 6 seed.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    They've developed some guys, but they have moved a number of them in trades. Klentak seems to run the team like a ten-year-old looking at the back of baseball cards.
    Not players they got from trade. Nola, Hoskins, Bohm, Haseley, Kingery?, Howard tbd?. It's a short, short, short list. So 6 players?