Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs discussion 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    And irony, Justin Turner was pulled from the last game of the season for a positive Covid test
    MLB is extremely lucky the Dodgers ended up winning last night. They likely would have had to postpone game 7 in this series until everyone else came back negative and possibly even had to have them all quarantine Also I thought these players were in a bubble. How did a player catch Covid?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    MLB is extremely lucky the Dodgers ended up winning last night. They likely would have had to postpone game 7 in this series until everyone else came back negative and possibly even had to have them all quarantine Also I thought these players were in a bubble. How did a player catch Covid?
    He probably kicked something he wasn't supposed to.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (10-28-2020), Tapate50 (10-28-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Turner went out to celebrate after testing positive.
    what a ****ing moron. should be suspended.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Kevin Cash is a great manager, but that was not a good move
    A couple of odd moves by Cash: (1) Pulling Snell and (2) Sending Fairbanks out for a second inning. Fairbanks strikes me as a bit of a chucklehead, so I wasn't heartbroken when Mookie took him deep. Still and all, I would have preferred a Rays' championship, but the Dodgers are run so well that they deserve respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    There's even a picture of him without a mask.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    It is impossible to defend cash on this one. This is potentially your last game of the year and you’ve got to go with snell there. One, snell a third time through the way he was pitching is a better option than anything you have in your pen. Also betts hits right handed pitching better so going to the rightie was a dumb move You have to live and die with snell there.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It is impossible to defend cash on this one. This is potentially your last game of the year and you’ve got to go with snell there. One, snell a third time through the way he was pitching is a better option than anything you have in your pen. Also betts hits right handed pitching better so going to the rightie was a dumb move You have to live and die with snell there.
    yeah, top-to-bottom it made very little sense. tho Mookie's career vs LHP and RHP is a lot more murky (basically he's always hit both well). still seemed like overthinking.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I'm not anti-analytics, but I believe there are times a gut instinct is defensible and it would have been here if Cash had stuck with Snell. I don't want to trash a fellow-Minnesotan (or at least one who was born here in the North Star State), but Anderson strikes me as if not a flash in the pan, someone who had an incredible (and I mean incredible) run during the regular season that probably wasn't going to be maintained when we got to serious baseball. He was iffy throughout the playoffs. I understand the "third time through the line-up" thing and the stats back it up, but when you're running out of ammo you probably need to stretch your thinking outside the box a bit. At some point during a short series, the starters either go deeper or the bullpens get gassed. Of course, we had extra guys on the playoff rosters so I wonder if the strategy would have been different with regulation rosters.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    When did Turner test positive?? Tests are normally given well before game time. Did the Dodgers "cheat" to win the WS? It took until the 8th inning to pull him.

Did MLB protect the Dodgers and Turner wanting the Dodgers to win the WS??

From MLBTR

"Since “inconclusive results are not uncommon,” Rosenthal said league officials were hesitant to immediately remove Turner from the game without confirmation."

Cut all the hair off his head and face!!!
    Last edited by salmagundy; 10-28-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    When did Turner test positive?? Tests are normally given well before game time. Did the Dodgers "cheat" to win the WS? It took until the 8th inning to pull him.

Did MLB protect the Dodgers and Turner wanting the Dodgers to win the WS??

From MLBTR

"Since “inconclusive results are not uncommon,” Rosenthal said league officials were hesitant to immediately remove Turner from the game without confirmation."

Cut all the hair off his head and face!!!
    Why do i hate this so much?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not anti-analytics, but I believe there are times a gut instinct is defensible and it would have been here if Cash had stuck with Snell. I don't want to trash a fellow-Minnesotan (or at least one who was born here in the North Star State), but Anderson strikes me as if not a flash in the pan, someone who had an incredible (and I mean incredible) run during the regular season that probably wasn't going to be maintained when we got to serious baseball. He was iffy throughout the playoffs. I understand the "third time through the line-up" thing and the stats back it up, but when you're running out of ammo you probably need to stretch your thinking outside the box a bit. At some point during a short series, the starters either go deeper or the bullpens get gassed. Of course, we had extra guys on the playoff rosters so I wonder if the strategy would have been different with regulation rosters.
    i would argue there was little in analytics that suggested bringing Anderson in there. the only thing that can be cited is 3rd time thru the order. other than that, it was a pretty poor analytical decision.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    i would argue there was little in analytics that suggested bringing Anderson in there. the only thing that can be cited is 3rd time thru the order. other than that, it was a pretty poor analytical decision.
    Cash cited the third-time through as the reason he made the move and the Rays' pattern has been to follow that logic (which is somewhat of an analytical staple). Snitker gets trashed for his "hot hand" thinking (for which he should be criticized), but Anderson has been terrible in the post-season and to remove someone who was cruising--third-time through or not--with a "cold hand" doesn't make a lot of sense. I suppose one could argue that Cash was going to the R-to-R match-up on Betts, but that doesn't make a ton of sense given the three-batter rule and Seager behind Betts. Analytics or not, at some point you have to in the old parlance, "dance with the guy who brung you" and Cash didn't.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    yet you don't notice all the times it works.
    how do you think the Rays got there?
    They rode an extremely hot hitter.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Anderson is a hot head too. Or at least he was. Had some issues at St. Cloud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Good for him.

If MLB or the Dodgers actually gave a ****, they wouldn’t have let him on the field in the first place.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Cash cited the third-time through as the reason he made the move and the Rays' pattern has been to follow that logic (which is somewhat of an analytical staple). Snitker gets trashed for his "hot hand" thinking (for which he should be criticized), but Anderson has been terrible in the post-season and to remove someone who was cruising--third-time through or not--with a "cold hand" doesn't make a lot of sense. I suppose one could argue that Cash was going to the R-to-R match-up on Betts, but that doesn't make a ton of sense given the three-batter rule and Seager behind Betts. Analytics or not, at some point you have to in the old parlance, "dance with the guy who brung you" and Cash didn't.
    i agree that Snell should have been left in.

i think to Cash's decision, there were these issues:
    1). 3rd time thru the order
    2). Snell had just given up a hit at 94MPH
    3). Betts is RH
    Betts, tho, has hit better vs. righties the last two years, and was pretty rough vs. lefties this year. he's previously hit lefties better, however, so not sure where you want to draw the line in the sample size.
    Anderson had been rough in the playoffs but was lights out in the regular season. maybe Cash was thinking he'd get back to that and his small postseason blip would end. obviously, it didn't. i probably would have left Snell in to face Betts/Seager and pulled him no matter what at Turner.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    They rode an extremely hot hitter.
    yeah, no.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    25 years ago today, we won the World Series. Best Braves day of my life. I can still remember the call watching Grissom catch that last out.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    yeah, no.
    Arozarena wasn’t an important part of their success?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Let's hope Turner is a false positive.