Thread: Bob Gibson Passes Away

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Bob Gibson Passes Away

I think those of us in the Group of Elders who inhabit this board would agree that Gibson was among the best--and probably the best--pitcher we saw in our youth. Absolutely electric stuff and he aggressively applied it. I think that's why many in my demographic get frustrated when we watch young pitchers with promising stuff not go after hitters. Of course, it's a different era and the art of hitting, smaller stadiums, and properties of the baseball have all tilted the game toward the hitter so maybe Gibson's approach wouldn't have netted the same results now (and we forget that these young pitchers aren't Bob Gibson).

His performance in 1968 was legendary. 1.12 ERA is still the all-time best in the modern era. Granted, it was The Year of the Pitcher, but for that season he was THE pitcher.

And let it be said that he was in a totally different era when it came to bat flips and staring down home runs. I frankly don't give a crap about who does what after they hit a HR (I find most of it pretty silly), but Hank Aaron gave Dusty Baker this advice about facing Bob Gibson:

“Don’t stare at him, don’t smile at him, don’t talk to him. If you happen to hit a home run, don’t run too slow, don’t run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first.” Not following advice like that would usually put you on the seat of your pants in your next AB.

A lot of Braves' fans are unaware that Gibson was the Braves' pitching coach under Joe Torre.

So Gibson in a nutshell. Fantastic athlete. Peerless competitor. Probably the most exciting pitcher to watch I've ever seen. When he was on the mound, he was the game.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (10-03-2020), DirkPiggler (10-03-2020), Garmel (10-03-2020), goldfly (10-03-2020), jpx7 (10-03-2020), nsacpi (10-13-2020), Runnin (10-03-2020), salmagundy (10-03-2020), USMA76 (10-05-2020)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    a legend to the game for sure

was before my time but i would have loved to see him work

i had just acquired this a week ago:

"For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-03-2020), JohnAdcox (10-13-2020), jpx7 (10-04-2020), thewupk (10-06-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    829 Posts
    It's been a bad couple of weeks for two of the greatest pitchers of my lifetime...Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to USMA76 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-05-2020)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    My Dad went to his grave without forgiving Bob Gibson, whom he blamed for ruining Craig McMurtry's career. (Although to be fair, I think Dad would have forgiven him eventually if he hadn't forgotten about it first.)