Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bravos acquire C-Doumit from Twins for Gilmartin.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    He could be a really good bench piece. He will not play 135 games and have almost 500 ABs. If he does, that means someone got hurt.
    Decent power from both sides of the plate, had two really solid seasons before last year. Had a .743 OPS in the 2nd half last year. Great player? By no means. Potential to be a very good BENCH bat? Sure. He could be very valuable there. Gilmartin could never contribute to this team. Doumit definitely will.
    Who is talking about gilmartin? Im talking about how Doumit isn't very good .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Who is talking about gilmartin? Im talking about how Doumit isn't very good .
    The large majority of what I said was about Doumit. You ignored everything I said, and ignored the reasons given for why he could be a good BENCH bat. He wasn't a bench guy for the Twins. He is, big time, for us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Doumit is coming off a 710 OPS season and has multiple concussion issues. He's also horrible defensively....

He was a .1 WAR player last year
    Doumit at the very least should be a good bench option with pop. Gilmartin was a waste of a 1 rounder,
    Last edited by Carp; 12-18-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    He wasn't really our 4th best prospect, not even when he had that rating IMO. BA had him at number 10, while Sickels and others barely in the top 15 or out of it. Also, I disagree with you calling our farm system very weak. Though it is weaker than before thanks to so many recent graduations to the Majors.
    The Graduation excuse is pretty old and lame. The system is weak. I don't care if its because of Graduation's or not. The evaluation of a farm system is just that the FARM SYSTEM it has nothing to do with what happen on the big club. They have drafted sub-par players overall the past 4+ years. Yes its hard to get a slam dunk pick every time but the braves have went cheap on the draft. I actually think the new draft rules will help them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Gilmartin had a 2.8 FIP going into last year, selling your pitching prospects off their worst year for a bench bat with concussions issues isn't really a good practice.
    Ignoring the fact the FIP is a terrible stat, Gilmartin had less than 200 innings of work before last yr and was a polished college pitcher.

BY every scout out there, Gilmartin doesn't have very good stuff. He gets by on polish and command. Most project him to be a back of the rotation starter at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    The Graduation excuse is pretty old and lame. The system is weak. I don't care if its because of Graduation's or not. The evaluation of a farm system is just that the FARM SYSTEM it has nothing to do with what happen on the big club. They have drafted sub-par players overall the past 4+ years. Yes its hard to get a slam dunk pick every time but the braves have went cheap on the draft. I actually think the new draft rules will help them.
    Nah, it's valid and true. But you don't care because it doesn't fit your flawed view of the Braves farm system.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Nah, it's valid and true. But you don't care because it doesn't fit your flawed view of the Braves farm system.
    Take the rose colors glasses off.

Its weak.

From Sickles
    The Atlanta farm has thinned out considerably, and looking at just the talent in the minors currently, it is a bottom tier system. Of course, the reason it has thinned out is a good one: the big league roster that won 96 games was filled with home-grown talent including recent system graduates Freddie Freeman, Andrelton Simmons, Evan Gattis, Mike Minor, Kris Medlen, Julio Teheran, Alex Wood, and Craig Kimbrel. There is a cycle to player development and even strong systems will go through reload phases. The Braves are in one now.

Yes he give the graduation excuse as well but the first sentence is all you have to read. Its a bottom tier system. Its a weak farm system. Better drafting would have help it no be. Matt Lipka & Sean Gilmartin are 2 biggest bust of 1st round picks in the last 4 years. The braves have done better in 2012 & 2013 but the '11 draft was so bad we are seeing that in the farm now. No impact players came from that draft. We might have a MLB regular or a few arms that turn out to be OK. But no TOP flight latent.
    Last edited by skidlee; 12-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Graduation isn't totally irrelevant, because it shows how solid they had drafted years before. Subsequent drafts may not be as good. Most teams go through that.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Graduation isn't totally irrelevant, because it shows how solid they had drafted years before. Subsequent drafts may not be as good. Most teams go through that.
    But as far as what we have in the farm system it is weak. Plan and simple.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Braves don't lose anything of much value, but suprised we are willing to pay a bench player 3.5 million. Not really a big fan of guys like Doumit; 32 years old, cant play defensively anywhere and certainly risky to believe he's gonna be much of a hitter. Just don't think that his 250 at bats are worth the salary when his only value is as a pinch hitter. And someone gets hurt, you really don't want him playing everyday.

On a positive note, his catching will make Gattis and Laird look better.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    From the Busier thread.

Maybe this opens the door for trading Gattis or Bethancourt in a bigger deal?
    Have consistently felt and said that I'll believe that Wren is "out" on Price and Samardzija when they're traded to other teams. Doumit's presence makes it much easier to include Bethancourt in a deal.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I agree with skid here, I've watched a few of the Gwinnett Braves games on tv and there is simply nothing there. If the Braves have to rely on those players for a significant period of time they are in trouble.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This doesn't show that at all. What it SHOULD show everyone is that it's time to take your Braves' colored glasses off when you make trade proposals - our #10 prospect nets you a backup Catcher/bench piece.

This deal should provide the perfect example that if you honestly want to upgrade the MLB roster, Sims/Graham/et al HAVE to be in play - you're not getting impact players without being willing to discuss EVERYONE - if you're not willing to include the Sims/Peraza/Bethancourt types in an effort to upgrade the MLB roster, you're wasting your time...if you're not willing to move them, you need to start working on roster 2017 construction rather than 2014 rosters.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Gilmartin had a 2.8 FIP going into last year.
    Mmm.... I don't think so.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-19-2013)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Glad to know we're finally going to win the World Series again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    240 avg with a 710 OPS
    Exactly. He's a bat for the bench. Any better and he'd be starting somewhere (probably DH on a low payroll AL team).

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    So Brule hates a trade, what else is new?

Looks like a solid move to me. Position flexibility is important, even if he's not a great defender. This allows us to not have to carry a backup 1st baseman if we don't want too. It looks like Wren was looking for a player that can do similar things to what Gattis did last year. Doumit should be a solid bench piece for us. It really doesn't matter what his overall numbers are, all that matters is how he does as a pinch hitter (.262 for his career) and if the number of games he plays allows Freeman and Gattis to be more effective because they are well rested. (especially Gattis, we don't want to put too much on his plate)

I don't see any reason to be upset about this trade.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Have consistently felt and said that I'll believe that Wren is "out" on Price and Samardzija when they're traded to other teams. Doumit's presence makes it much easier to include Bethancourt in a deal.
    No, it doesnt.

He's only signed for 1 year.

I refuse to believe he will trade CB.

Especially since Gattis may not pan out as a full-time C.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    I agree with skid here, I've watched a few of the Gwinnett Braves games on tv and there is simply nothing there. If the Braves have to rely on those players for a significant period of time they are in trouble.
    With the Braves though, I think the last 10 years a lot of their best players have never come from AAA but rather AA.

Simmons skipped AAA. I think Wood skipped AAA as well.

Heyward skipped AAA (played a handful of games).

McCann skipped AAA (as did Francoeur).

Freeman spent a season in Gwinnett IIRC.

Mike Minor basically spent his AAA years in the Majors getting bombed lol. Medlen skipped IIRC. Teheran spent a full season in AAA.
    Forever Fredi

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I know the team has announced Gattis will be the starting C, but I'm not convinced they wouldn't trade him if he was the deciding factor in a Sale or Price trade. Gattis can catch, he can DH, play a little first and he's under control for a long time.

Announcing he's the starting Catcher can also be done to boost his value. If other teams think "well the Braves view him as their starting catcher so that means something" that enhances Gattis' value despite what the Braves actually think about him in-house. I don't think Gattis is untouchable.

Remember when the quote from Bobby Cox when he first saw Brian Jordan taking groundballs at 1st Base? "He looks really good and comfortable out there." The board damn near exploded.

The Braves can say Gattis is their guy, but that doesn't mean he can't be traded especially he brings more value in a trade than most of the guys we have not named Heyward. And you could make the argument because he is under control longer and plays a premium offensive position at C that he has more trade value than Heyward because Hey's due for free agency in a few years.
    Forever Fredi