Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: GDT: NLCS Game 2 Braves vs Dodgers 10/13

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    O'Day is on this roster to pitch medium leverage innings vs RHH.

Minter is on the roster to face LHH in situations where Matzek and/or Smith are unavailable or not in lesser leverage spots.

Tomlin is on the roster to pitch low leverage and/or bulk innings as required.

That is exactly how Snit used each of them last night, and he did it in an effort to save some of the bigger arms in the BP. The results were not pretty because the Dodgers are an amazing team, and they are going to do amazing things. Anyone complaining about Snit's BP usage last night is being nothing more than a typical silly fan.
    Yup. Take a step back and the Braves were up 8-4 with 2 outs in the 9th. It was a worthwhile risk to try to squeeze an extra out out of Tomlin.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well, it was based on the premise he won't pitch this series. Obviously if they feel he might can, that changes things. As bad as Webb, Wilson, and ynoa can be, I'll take any of them over soroka (injured) this series.
    If Fried were to gotten back spasms before game 1, did you really want to call up Touki or Newk for a possible start, or would you have rather waited to see if Max gets better by Game 5 or so?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    O'Day is on this roster to pitch medium leverage innings vs RHH.

Minter is on the roster to face LHH in situations where Matzek and/or Smith are unavailable or in lesser leverage spots.

Tomlin is on the roster to pitch low leverage and/or bulk innings as required.

That is exactly how Snit used each of them last night, and he did it in an effort to save some of the bigger arms in the BP. The results were not pretty because the Dodgers are an amazing team, and they are going to do amazing things. Anyone complaining about Snit's BP usage last night is being nothing more than a typical silly fan.
    My only mild complaint is that I would've preferred to see Dayton, Webb, or maybe someone who can throw at least 90 mph, instead of Tomlin. But I get that the matchups dictated a RHP in that spot. I was happy to see that Snitker didn't bring in Melancon right off the bat with a five run lead.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If Fried were to gotten back spasms before game 1, did you really want to call up Touki or Newk for a possible start, or would you have rather waited to see if Max gets better by Game 5 or so?
    Again, in this hypothetical, niners said he got the vibe from Roberts that kershaw wasn't pitching this series. If we were down 2-0 and fried wasn't pitching, get me a bat or pitcher one

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    My only mild complaint is that I would've preferred to see Dayton, Webb, or maybe someone who can throw at least 90 mph, instead of Tomlin. But I get that the matchups dictated a RHP in that spot. I was happy to see that Snitker didn't bring in Melancon right off the bat with a five run lead.
    Agree 100%.
    I think Tomlin's primary role is that he can throw multiple low leverage innings. You might need that in games 3-5.

I think going to Dayton or Webb (I would have used Webb) is a better idea. They are one inning guys and you will need them in a potential 7 games in 7 days with only 3 starters scenario. Knock some rust off. I would have had MM or Smith warming up just like Snit did with MM and Tomlin.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'd do Ynoa for 2/3, Matzek for 2/3, and Wilson for 2/3. Should get you through the 7th hopefully. Don't let any pitcher see the entire lineup more than once.

Game 4 depends so heavily on the outcome and arms burned in Game 3, it's tough to even guess.

I think the Braves young guys are all pretty much terrible choices to matchup with the Dodgers, but that's the only option. You're hoping to catch lightning. Would be really good to be up 3-0 and not needing to press to stop the series from being evened.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-14-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Agree 100%.
    I think Tomlin's primary role is that he can throw multiple low leverage innings. You might need that in games 3-5.

I think going to Dayton or Webb (I would have used Webb) is a better idea. They are one inning guys and you will need them in a potential 7 games in 7 days with only 3 starters scenario. Knock some rust off. I would have had MM or Smith warming up just like Snit did with MM and Tomlin.

Last night I thought the play was Greene. My second choice would have been Webb.

I think I said it was as dumb as **** last night, but it was a pretty controlled risk. The big cushion permitted the Braves to take that shot. Losing the allotted cushion didn't lose the game. It just increased the chance of losing the game.

I'm not sure how much a successful stint would have helped the Braves overall. Only a small amount, I think, which is why I'd probably have tried someone else.

Compared to my strategy, I guess the main benefit is that Greene would be available in both Games 3 and 4 now, most probably.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Last night I thought the play was Greene. My second choice would have been Webb.

I think I said it was as dumb as **** last night, but it was a pretty controlled risk. The big cushion permitted the Braves to take that shot. Losing the allotted cushion didn't lose the game. It just increased the chance of losing the game.

I'm not sure how much a successful stint would have helped the Braves overall. Only a small amount, I think, which is why I'd probably have tried someone else.

Compared to my strategy, I guess the main benefit is that Greene would be available in both Games 3 and 4 now, most probably.
    The only silver lining to me in the 9th was it allowed Tomlin to knock some rust off, should he be needed later in this series. Remember, he hadn't pitched the whole post season so far.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    The only silver lining to me in the 9th was it allowed Tomlin to knock some rust off, should he be needed later in this series. Remember, he hadn't pitched the whole post season so far.
    You say that, but even normally Tomlin's forty-percent rust.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    You say that, but even normally Tomlin's forty-percent rust.
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-14-2020), Metaphysicist (10-14-2020), Tapate50 (10-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Melancon was too kind in his answer. There is something he could have added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    wow, that's brutal.
    I have reason to believe the Braves players hate the team's beat-writers as much as we do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    So far you have to say Pache is holding his own.
    He's had some impressive PAs. He's more to learn, but his plate-discipline has been far from terrible. I though Harold Reynolds' post-game comparison to Andruw Jones (The Perennially Underrated) were premature/overblown—but, at the very least, he looks like a really good piece going forward.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Kelly just said on twitter that it's Wilson vs Kershaw in G4 tomorrow.

I can't believe somehow we've gotten this far this season and are suddenly starting Bryce Wilson in G4 of the NLCS. Nobody has said it, but the short season really benefitted us. 162 with this staff would've been... interesting.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I mean... all he had to say was "we won" or "we are up 2-0 in the NLCS as the underdog".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post

I can't believe somehow we've gotten this far this season and are suddenly starting Bryce Wilson in G4 of the NLCS. Nobody has said it, but the short season really benefitted us. 162 with this staff would've been... interesting.
    Yes and no.

It benefited the 2020 Braves given the calamities that befell those Braves in a sixty-game season.

Does Soroka blow up his ankle given a regular Spring Training and schedule? Does Hamels have time to work back into form during a full regular season? Is Anthopoulos more aggressive trading for starting pitching at the deadline? Does another young starter (or more) rise up given the benefit of a full minor-league schedule? Do Foltynewicz and Newcomb rebound, or even start out in a found-groove, with normal March–October action?

These existential questions will haunt philosophers for ages. But I hope the Braves win anyways. Vinco ergo sum. Things of that nature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    513 Posts
    papyrione volare usque in sempiternum

21. The Following User Says Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    papyrione volare usque in sempiternum
    How It Started

How It's Going

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Yes and no.

It benefited the 2020 Braves given the calamities that befell those Braves in a sixty-game season.

Does Soroka blow up his ankle given a regular Spring Training and schedule? Does Hamels have time to work back into form during a full regular season? Is Anthopoulos more aggressive trading for starting pitching at the deadline? Does another young starter (or more) rise up given the benefit of a full minor-league schedule? Do Foltynewicz and Newcomb rebound, or even start out in a found-groove, with normal March–October action?

These existential questions will haunt philosophers for ages. But I hope the Braves win anyways. Vinco ergo sum. Things of that nature.
    without all of this, AA has more money to work with at the deadline. Tommy Milone isn't the mid-season "upgrade."
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post

The Braves were winning a lot with the rotation in complete disarray.

I think the greatest benefit to the short season was the bullpen didn't get worn out. This would have been especially tough with a 25 man roster. I guess there would have been more guys on the shuttle, but I think it worked out better to have the guys all in town.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Yes and no.

Good points.

I actually had not real expectations for Felix being successful, but he doesn't opt out in that scenario.

The Braves maybe have made more trade moves.

Younger players would have been getting work in the minors and may have forced their way up. The Braves were more reluctant to promote guys this year then I think they would have in a 162.

after all the injuries, I kind of had the position that expending resources to go all out for a title was probably unwise in a season where no moves were likely to make the Braves the favorite.

Now that we are here, the asterisk championship feels a lot more legitimate. But I think it was probably still the right move for the org to not put it all on the line for this season. I'm not sure they really had the finances to do it anyway or the resources to make trades. I actually regret not getting in on Marte the most probably.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-15-2020)