Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: GDT: NLCS Game 3 Braves vs Dodgers

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    How are you people not blaming Melvin. Or whoever drafted Melvin. He cant handle pressure. Almost every start he has he falls apart when the going gets tough. This has been going on for 3 years. Whats the definition of insanity again? If it wasnt the first it would have been the second or third. He is not good at the base balls.
    we get that you wrote him off long ago. there's plenty of reason not to.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The dodgers likely did a ton of work on how we were pitching them and made adjustments. We probably adjusted back. Wright could have been tipping pitches. You just don't see things go that badly that often.

We are still up 2-1.

Melvin has more starts where he is so bad that he is knocked out of the game before even completing 5 innings than he does wins and it's like 4 or 5 times as many bad games and that's including 6 innings 4 runs as a good start. How many times does he have to **** the bed before he gets shipped out?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    we get that you wrote him off long ago. there's plenty of reason not to.

It's honestly that I gave him a chance because I want him to succeed that pisses me off the most. This goes beyond Wright to me, it goes back to wasting draft picks on Gilmartin and Hursh. When the scouts that think those players were good prospects are no longer damaging this organization with this BS I will stop complaining about it.

It’s over."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Melvin has more starts where he is so bad that he is knocked out of the game before even completing 5 innings than he does wins and it's like 4 or 5 times as many bad games and that's including 6 innings 4 runs as a good start. How many times does he have to **** the bed before he gets shipped out?
    Until he hits arbitration.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    It's honestly that I gave him a chance because I want him to succeed that pisses me off the most. This goes beyond Wright to me, it goes back to wasting draft picks on Gilmartin and Hursh. When the scouts that think those players were good prospects are no longer damaging this organization with this BS I will stop complaining about it.
    huh? what do those picks have to do with Wright? you’re not even making sense. Wright was a consensus too 5 pick. the Braves drafting has changed drastically since Hursh and Gilmartin. Wright is nothing like them. not in any sense.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    well, i'm one of two or three around here who have held Wilson in extravagantly high regard

he's been mostly a disappointment, but this is a chance for us to take a bow

looks like he's made some improvements to his off-speed pitches...and he is throwing the sinker more, which looks to be a good pitch for him

You have been. I've been low.

If he's got good secondaries all of a sudden he's a different guy. We'll see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Does Melvin = Wright?

I've lost track of what you are saying.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You have been. I've been low.

If he's got good secondaries all of a sudden he's a different guy. We'll see.
    As a first-class passenger on nsacpi's Wilson Train, I can say a big part of the argument was always that his youth meant he still had time to develop those, and his good command/control in the minors suggested his fastballs could still be effective despite not-overwhelming speed/spin/movement. The largest source of consternation was the extent to which his control seemed to abandon him upon initial elevation to the big leagues.

But he sure was spotting pitched last night.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (10-16-2020), PawPawMaxwell (10-17-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    As a first-class passenger on nsacpi's Wilson Train, I can say a big part of the argument was always that his youth meant he still had time to develop those, and his good command/control in the minors suggested his fastballs could still be effective despite not-overwhelming speed/spin/movement. The largest source of consternation was the extent to which his control seemed to abandon him upon initial elevation to the big leagues.

The walks made him unplayable and seemed to argue against his supposed biggest strength (being willing to go right at batters).

If he is back to going right at guys and now has added to his repertoire he's maybe playable again.

I'm willing to consider that a pitching coach change might be in order. I don't know that Krantz is doing anything wrong, but it doesn't seem like he add much.

Young guys are going to struggle, but you have to admit we have had 4-5 young guys struggle the same way -- not being able to throw strikes.

Anderson and Soroka both came up throwing strikes. Wright and Wilson seemingly regrouped in AAA.

Again, not sure that is really on Krantz, but maybe they can do better somehow.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I also am gonna need to be brought up to speed on what "Melvin" refers to.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (10-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Melvin is a refrence to BJ Upton. I just use it to describe talented players who consistently **** the bed.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    huh? what do those picks have to do with Wright? you’re not even making sense. Wright was a consensus too 5 pick. the Braves drafting has changed drastically since Hursh and Gilmartin. Wright is nothing like them. not in any sense.

Wright, Gilmartin, and Hursh were all "safe" college pitchers with "high floors". I dont care what consensus is. Why even have a scouting department. Let's just draft whatever the consensus is and save money on scouts..... The draft philosophy has not changed since those picks. We threw away more high draft picks kn Langeliers and Shewmake. I have a soft spot for quality utility players so I have some hope for Shewmake but these are abysmal picks. I sisnt follow the draft at all this year. Looked it up and we drafted another college pitcher with our first round pick. Dont know anything about him yet and not going to **** on him.

I used to be the guy always defending the draft. Oir organizational philosophy has done a 180 and now we have **** left in the minors and it's why we will suck ass on 5 years. So enjoy the winning now. We will be entering dark ages around 2025.

It’s over."

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post

Dont know how I got so lucky but I have only seen Wilson pitch live 3 times. The first was last year sometime and dont even remember who it was against but he was awesome. Then the Miami game and now game 3 of this series. I have absolutely no reason to be critical of anything I have seen. For those who still have questions, I would suggest remember that he is still so young.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Wright, Gilmartin, and Hursh were all "safe" college pitchers with "high floors".
    I don't think this is quite right about Wright. While certainly "safe" in the sense that he was a successful college guy already which a bunch of MLB caliber™ pitches, I recall him being described as the rare college guy with "projection" left and therefore (in theory) top of the rotation potential. That's definitely different than a Gilmartin type, a polished low-ceiling "pitchability" guy whose ideal case was "filling out the rotation."

I also think you wrong about Hursh, who was fairly raw for a college guy. He had a great fastball but that was about it; he was definitely a guy who needed to be "developed." Also not a Gilmartin type, but a good example of another weird target of that era: "raw college guys with big arms." (see: JR Graham, David Hale, Dave Filak)

Basically, these are three very different types of draftees, with the main commonality being "college." Besides, the most famous "Gilmartin"-type pick was Minor, who actually turned out pretty well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I dont recall that at all about Wright but looking up a scouting report from the time and it was in the first one I clicked on. They compared him to Strasburg though lol. The point isnt that they are the same type of pitcher it is that they are college pitchers playing against inferior competition. College draft picks are just a waste of draft picks imo. Occasionally there are ones I like. I liked Weiters, Teixiera, and funny enough Walker Beuhler. I didnt like the Minor pick until he added a tic to his fastball. It was for that reason I gave Wright any chance whatsoever. I know some other teams do well with college players. I am really big on age vs competition and college players just dont get that. College creates a mirage that makes them look better because they are playing against mostly ****ting 20 year olds with no hope of ever being MLB players. There are very specific things I look for in pitchers that a college pitcher can have. Its just rare.

It’s over."